How Do I Check Which Engine Is In My Mustang?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:34 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Regular

909mustangx2 is on a distinguished road

How Do I Check Which Engine Is In My Mustang?

How do i identify which engine is in my mustang? Is there a serial number? Is it hard to get to the serial number if that is how you ID the engine? thanks

*******I want to know the year of the motor and if i can find out how many miles on the motor?**********

Last edited by 909mustangx2; January 11th, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 909mustangx2 View Post
How do i identify which engine is in my mustang? Is there a serial number? Is it hard to get to the serial number if that is how you ID the engine? thanks
Count the spark plugs.

In all seriousness, though, what are you asking? Like Romeo vs Windsor?
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #3
Enthusiast

2006 F150 Supercrew 4x4

BradleyGT will become famous soon enough

call a Ford dealer with your VIN # they should be able to tell you everything about your car.
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #4
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger

2007 MUSTANG GT

1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold

Pop the hood & take a look see

www.1fun4rd.blogspot.com
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Regular

sorry guys i wasnt specific....Im getting an engine swap done at a local mechanics....i blew my 98 gt motor so im paying him to put in a 2004 gt pi motor...how can i be forsure that it is a 2004 4.6 pi motor??He also says the engine has less than 30,000 miles is there a way to check that also?

Last edited by 909mustangx2; January 11th, 2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Not enough info
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Resident DJ

'01 Cobra Vert.

Lefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, are you just trying to see if it's a V8 or V6? Or are you talking about engine blocks? Specify brotha

2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe (the daily)
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition (the other toy)
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #7
Regular

Its the first time going to this mechanic so im just trying to be safe before i pay him!
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #8
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 909mustangx2 View Post
Its the first time going to this mechanic so im just trying to be safe before i pay him!
I don't know any way to check the mileage claim without tearing the motor down... well, that's not entirely true, you should be able to pull a spark plug and look down at the cylinder walls, though I'm not sure how long the hone marks usually last.

In reference to PI vs NPI identification, you should be able to find that with a search.
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2

1997 Saleen S281

97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of

You could always ask to see the car it came out of.

MODS IN GARAGE

All SVO'D UP
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Enthusiast

ndfrspd can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
Count the spark plugs.

In all seriousness, though, what are you asking? Like Romeo vs Windsor?
HAHAHAHAHA

WOW......... is this guy serious? Do you need a serial number to see if you have a penis or not?
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #11
Regular

1997 Mustang GT
not as slow... PI swapped :-)

mustangracer2g is on a distinguished road

uhm dude... well the PI heads have diff valve covers too.. where the oil filler neck is on the left of the engine, near the intake (if ur standing in front of ur car lookin at it) instead of the non PI that has the filler on the right side... thats the easiest way that i can tell.. unless ur old valve covers are re used... lol.. oh and the intakes are different too.. it just simply wouldnt make any sense to see a non pi intake on a PI engine...

oh yeah, and why the hell do imports always try to race me?!
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #12
Regular

1998 GT

sick_46 is on a distinguished road

that was the way i copuld tell I have a pi motor in my car. My filler neck is on the pass side.
I purchased the car a few weeks ago and the previous owner (who wasa a ricer) had no clue what all was done to the car. I went to a car show that had about 100 or so mod motored stangs and spent all day comparing pi and non pi motors.
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #13
Regular

phoenix99 is on a distinguished road

If you have Coil On Plug, it's "at least" a 99+ engine ...
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Regular

1998 GT

I dont think you would run the could on plug when swapping a pi motor in an older non pi car
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #15
Regular

1997 Mustang GT
not as slow... PI swapped :-)

mustangracer2g is on a distinguished road

haha gotta love when u come up on a sweet deal like that sick 46 hahaha its always a nice surprise when they have no idea haha

oh yeah, and why the hell do imports always try to race me?!
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #16
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light

Information should be on a sticker located on the valvecover at least thats where mine was.i bought a 02 5.4 from a place and checked it out and it was a 04 lol

97 PAC Green Bolted-On Cobra 04 IRS Swapped
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #17
Regular

1998 GT

Originally Posted by mustangracer2g View Post
haha gotta love when u come up on a sweet deal like that sick 46 hahaha its always a nice surprise when they have no idea haha
Yea if you look at my sig, and the pic. I only paid 2400 for the car and the only thing I changes were the rims and tires and I have no money in them LOL.
98 BAB GT, 04PI MOTOR,4R70W, MHS RB CAMS, 70MM SINGLE TURBO, 42LB INJECTORS, AEROMOTIVE STEALTH PUMP IN A 97 TANK, SLOT STYLE MAF, 75MM T-BODY AND PLENUM, , 4:10 GEARS = SMOKESHOW!! 3.27 waiting to go in
WWW.BROOKSSPEED.COM
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

1995 Mustang GT
SLOWER THAN OLD PEOPLE FUCK..:-(

Traidmarx will become famous soon enoughTraidmarx will become famous soon enough

you the intake manifold is different, filler neck on opposite side. if the motor is out of the other car then you should be able to locate the casting on the heads. also by the ignition, Non PI had coil packs, PI had coil on plug.

1995 Mustang GT..4.30's,BBK Longtubes, Off Road X-Pipe,Magnaflow Catback,BBK Intake,BBK Underdrive Pulleys Walbro 255lph pump,accel dizzy,MSD Coil,MSD 8.5 Super Conductors,front sway bar removed, more coming soon.
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

1995 Mustang GT
SLOWER THAN OLD PEOPLE FUCK..:-(

Traidmarx will become famous soon enoughTraidmarx will become famous soon enough

i believe this is the casting for the PI heads. RF-2RE3-9A448-AA

1995 Mustang GT..4.30's,BBK Longtubes, Off Road X-Pipe,Magnaflow Catback,BBK Intake,BBK Underdrive Pulleys Walbro 255lph pump,accel dizzy,MSD Coil,MSD 8.5 Super Conductors,front sway bar removed, more coming soon.
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #20
Regular

1998 GT

vortech4.6l is on a distinguished road

damn guys you totally raped that guy.... I would go with the look-see at the car it came from. If not man you can always put the faith in the mechanic. lmao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-98/105202-how-do-i-check-engine-my-mustang.html
Posted By For Type Date
Zebulon This thread Refback January 14th, 2009 11:37 AM

Threads Similar to: How Do I Check Which Engine Is In My Mustang?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 Mustang Gt C&L intake/ check engine light Justin2011 2005 - 2010 14 December 29th, 2008 05:06 PM
Check Engine skimboard71104 V6 Mustangs 2 November 26th, 2007 05:29 PM
check engine steeda gully 99 - 04 4 July 20th, 2007 12:23 AM
check engine mmvi V6 Mustangs 18 June 6th, 2007 07:05 PM
check engine cali 5.0 5.0 Mustangs 2 August 11th, 2006 11:13 PM