Modded Mustang Forums banner

Fuel Injector sizes without regulators or fuel pumps

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  beheivjer 
#1 ·
I want to get bigger injectors for my 1998 gt but don't want to have to purchase a fuel pump or regulator. What is the biggest size i can get without having to buy all that?

#2 ·
Probably 24's, those will be OK for sure. #30's would likely be too much. But, why are you asking? Do know that larger injectors do not increase horsepower, rather they support more. It's not likely that you will make enough horsepower without a poweradder to need more than 24's.

#3 ·
i hear the #19's are good to 300 HP

#5 ·
Thats just it! I'm over 300 horsepower already and need more fuel to put into the large amount of airflow. Fuel injectors obviously do help increase horsepower or everyone would stick with the stock 19#'s. Other than the guy that says fuel injectors don't help can anyone one else tell me if i would be better off getting a fuel regulator and fuel pump with bigger injectors or should i just go for some 24#? Thanks

#6 ·
streetstang06 said:
Thats just it! I'm over 300 horsepower already and need more fuel to put into the large amount of airflow. Fuel injectors obviously do help increase horsepower or everyone would stick with the stock 19#'s. Other than the guy that says fuel injectors don't help can anyone one else tell me if i would be better off getting a fuel regulator and fuel pump with bigger injectors or should i just go for some 24#? Thanks
what was the air fuel on the dyno? how about duty cycle? that will tell you if you need bigger injectors, and injectors do not increase horsepower they can actually decrease it if not tuned for them, a regulator would be cheaper and easier, all you have to do is up the fp and you can get more fuel.

#9 ·
Does anyone know how hard it is to install a fuel pump and fuel regulator and how much time? I like to do most of the work myself. Are you saying that i should go for both the regulator and the fuel pump? Do you just choose a spot for the regulator to go or is there a certain spot? Thanks in advance!

#10 ·
The fuel pump is fairly straightfoward, here is an article on our site written by one of our members. It's an install in a late model Saleen, but it's gonna be nearly identical to what you'd have to do:

Saleen fuel tank swap

Just to give you an idea. You'd simply be dropping the tank and replacing the pump. The fuel pressure regulator is simple, it's right on your fuel rail under your hood. It's essential for dialing in the correct fuel pressure for a proper tune. Your stock fuel pressure regulator isn't adjustable, so you just replace it with an adjustable unit.

If your making 300hp, it's a good time to go to 24's. You won't need anymore than that unless you go with a poweradder in the future. Like already suggestion, you need a mass air meter calibrated for larger injectors, so be sure to get that too.

#13 ·
Fuel pump swap is not hard. Relieve fuel pressure, undo fuel pump fuse, turn on ignition twice but don't start engine, disconnect battery, take gas cap off, undo 3 bolts that hold filler neck in gas cap compartment, support tank with car jack, undo straps(2 bolts), undo power cable, lower tank slowly, undo bolts to tank assembly, pull out fuel pump basket, take top off by pressing tabs on side of basket, lift up basket assembly, replace pump, everything else in reverse to reassemble. If you're upgrading to a Walboro, you will need to remove some material from the top of the assembly where it meets the fuel pump. I used a Dremel with a cut off wheel and it fit nicely. Very clean install. I installed a Walboro gss341. And many people said it wouldn't work. Vortech engineering carries this pump for 98-04 Mustang GTs. :wave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.