supercharger and 5.4
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Regular

1998 Mustang GT
13.046@107.49

cruizer will become famous soon enough

supercharger and 5.4

I have two questions. I just bought a roush supercharger intake manifold for my car that will fit on my pi heads. My first question is what else will I need? I am looking at getting a used eaton m112 (that will work right?), and I'll need another belt. What does the supercharger belt go onto? And I'll need a new throttle body and plenum. I'll probably go with the dual throttle body like this one: Accufab 60mm Dual Throttle Body 99-01 Cobra 03-04 Mach1:eBay Motors (item 350190354213 end time Sep-10-09 23:31:38 PDT) Will I need bigger injectors as well? If I did could I just go with 39# cobra injectors. Also I am running e85 so I already need more fuel.

My second question is that I am thinking of picking up a 5.4 and will probably stick with the 2v out of the f150 because it is cheaper and easier to get then the 4v navigator engine and because all the parts I already have are for a 2v. I noticed some of the navigator engines have forged cranks. Do any of the 2v? And would I need the f150 computer as well, or would my computer work? Is there anything I would need other than the engine?

Sorry about all the questions. I just want to make sure I really know what I'm doing and am fully researched before I spend money and get too deep into it. Thanks for your time
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light

The Intake you have i belive is for the little eaton the M90 but depending on the intermediate plate you might be able to go wth a M112 but i don't know for sure the easiest and mose simple way to put a M112 blower on a 2V 5.4 is to you a Harley/Lightning supercharger setup.You can make the intake you have work but you need a hole mess of parts i don't think you realize you need.

If you go with a aftermarket T-Body i would recommend a nice single blade setup to get the most out of your setup.

Your ECU And wireing will work,The 4.6 2V to 5.4 2V are basically the same motor and share alot of the same components.

Here is a little run down of what you would need if all you have right now is a intake:

Supercharger
intermediate plate w/Intercooler
Supercharger Plenum
Supercharger throttle body
Boost Bypass valve
Boost Gauge
Supercharger Belt
Crank Pulley setup(To Drive the Supercharger)
Pulley Bridge with tensioner and idler puleys
Supercharger Tank/Resivior
Heat Extractor/Intercooler Water lines 5/8
Bosh Supercharger Water pump
Heat Extractor (03/04 Cobra works)
Injectors (39# 03/04 Cobra(All blue EV6 style) or 42# Lightning (Green Top EV1 style)
walboro 255 In Tank Fuel Pump
Dyno Tune

FYI if your wanting to use that Roush Supercharger intake from a 4.6 you need to get the 5.4 to 4.6 intake adapter plates there around $200 bucks brand new.

Check out my Mods In Garage, Link in my sig (To see pics of how mine looks with the lightning setup)

97 PAC Green Bolted-On Cobra 04 IRS Swapped

Last edited by 330CubeGt; August 28th, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #3
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light

Not trying to tell you what to do Just showing you another option, but this is a good start if you decide you want to do the lighting setup,Bolts right to the 5.4 2V Heads.

Ford Lightning 5.4L Supercharger 99-04 Complete :eBay Motors (item 140342112829 end time Sep-02-09 18:30:00 PDT)

The only downfall with the swap is the motor is now much much taller so you may or may not be able to squeeze it under a 6 inch hood.
I think once i get the cash im going to try it out,Till then it will be fine through the hood

Last edited by 330CubeGt; August 28th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old August 29th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Regular

1998 Mustang GT
13.046@107.49

Here is the intake manifold I bought: Roush Mustang Supercharger Intake Manifold 99-04:eBay Motors (item 120462124785 end time Aug-28-09 14:17:16 PDT) How can you tell which supercharger will fit on it? Also I was wondering why you suggest a single blade instead of the bigger double blade? What is the benefit of the single blade? And can I just but a large hood scoop on the hood, over the hole?
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
Here is the intake manifold I bought: Roush Mustang Supercharger Intake Manifold 99-04:eBay Motors (item 120462124785 end time Aug-28-09 14:17:16 PDT) How can you tell which supercharger will fit on it? Also I was wondering why you suggest a single blade instead of the bigger double blade? What is the benefit of the single blade? And can I just but a large hood scoop on the hood, over the hole?
Because a Single blade will give you all the air flow your ever going to need and its alot easyer to move air through one big hole then two little ones.Im sure you can run a hood scoop if you want to.Im not because with my style hood it has to many curves to try it.

Here is what the lightning lower intake looks like.
http://www.karkraft.com/lightning%20lower1.jpg

And this is the Lightning intermediate manifold plate.
Google Image Result for http://www.karkraft.com/lightning%20lower1.jpg
(Goes on top of lower intake,Between supercharger and lower intake)
The intercooler bolts to the bottom off the intermediate manifold(Not shown)
The Eaton M112 bolts to the top

This is your intake with roush supercharger
http://www.totalmustangsupply.com/ca...%20178-613.jpg

It bolts almost directly to the lower intake much different to the lightning design so i think you might be stock with a Roush specific supercharger unless you get creative and make your own plate to allow the use of a Eaton M112 from a 03/04 cobra like this guy did with his V6

M112 on roush intake image by LilRoush on Photobucket

Last edited by 330CubeGt; August 29th, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Regular

1997 GT Mustang

OUTLAW97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just get the lightning blower setup, it will save you time and money.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Regular

1998 Mustang GT
13.046@107.49

will the lightning blower setup work on a 4.6 or only the 5.4? And is that a 5.4 2v or 4v i would need? Also as far as the extra stuff for the lightning blower, would I still use stuff off of a 03/04 cobra or off of the lightning or can I use either? Do the pi 4.6 heads fit on the 5.4, because I heard the 5.4 was basically a 4.6 with a longer stroke. is this true?
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Regular

1998 Mustang GT
13.046@107.49

Also, why would it be cheaper and quicker? Its the same supercharger right?
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Regular

1997 GT Mustang

will the lightning blower setup work on a 4.6 or only the 5.4? And is that a 5.4 2v or 4v i would need? Also as far as the extra stuff for the lightning blower, would I still use stuff off of a 03/04 cobra or off of the lightning or can I use either? Do the pi 4.6 heads fit on the 5.4, because I heard the 5.4 was basically a 4.6 with a longer stroke. is this true?
lightning blower setup is on 5.4 not 4.6 ,and a 4.6 can be a cobra blower. You want a blower that will push, like 15LB or you will not make good power.
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:45 AM   #10
Regular

1997 GT Mustang

You can get everything for the lightning motor and blower for 1500 to 2500 and be done.
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:29 PM   #11
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

5.4 2V and the 4.6 head will work there the same.The reason why the 5.4 intake is different(wider) is because of the deck height of the block Hence the longer stroke.Thats all.

Cheaper and quicker because its made for the motor its just about a direct bolt on, and only took me by myself a days work to get it done.

Originally Posted by OUTLAW97 View Post
lightning blower setup is on 5.4 not 4.6 ,and a 4.6 can be a cobra blower. You want a blower that will push, like 15LB or you will not make good power.
With the 4.6 he could can buy the torkteck intake that the 03/04 cobra blower bolts to but in the end that kit ends up being quite pricey.

Originally Posted by OUTLAW97 View Post
You can get everything for the lightning motor and blower for 1500 to 2500 and be done.
Pretty much,I was just talking to someone about that the other day(Prices),Because i was wondering how much i could get for everything i have off my car Complete Ready to make any 5.4 mustang supercharged in a weekend.But who knows i might keep it the way it is

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:16 PM   #12
Regular

1998 Mustang GT
13.046@107.49

does the 5.4l 4v fit in our mustangs because it is considerably wider isn't it? If it does fit, is it that much more expensive then the sohc? I guess what I'm asking is if it is worth it.

As of now I am wanting to be able to add power to my 4.6 while slowly working on a 5.4 on the side and eventually just swapping them, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money. I want to be able to just take whatever i get for the 4.6 and transfer them to the 5.4 so I don't waste my money. So also on the note I would probably then have to decide if I wanted to go 4v or not.

I noticed you used the stock 4.6 exhaust manifolds. Are there no headers for the 5.4 that would work in the mustang. I put long tube headers on my 4.6 and that was a tight enough fit, I'm sure the 5.4 would be nearly impossible if they even make them.
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:54 PM   #13
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

does the 5.4l 4v fit in our mustangs because it is considerably wider isn't it? If it does fit, is it that much more expensive then the sohc? I guess what I'm asking is if it is worth it.

As of now I am wanting to be able to add power to my 4.6 while slowly working on a 5.4 on the side and eventually just swapping them, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money. I want to be able to just take whatever i get for the 4.6 and transfer them to the 5.4 so I don't waste my money. So also on the note I would probably then have to decide if I wanted to go 4v or not.

I noticed you used the stock 4.6 exhaust manifolds. Are there no headers for the 5.4 that would work in the mustang. I put long tube headers on my 4.6 and that was a tight enough fit, I'm sure the 5.4 would be nearly impossible if they even make them.
5.4 4v does fit.But is a completly diffrent storie if your wanting to swap from 4.6 2v to 5.4 2v but dont get me wrong it just might cost a few extra bucks.You just need to decide what you want and stick to it no matter what it takes.Its all possible it just depends what your goals are and how much money you have to play with.

I used stock 4.6 manifolds because for ones the 5.4 manifolds won't bolt up to the mustang style mid pipe and i was out of money and just wanted to put the motor in.They have two sets of shorties that will work with little or no mods i belive MAC,or JBA.hey just came out with a set of Longtubes for the 5.4 but i belive there in the $800 Range and you need to have a tubular front k and a arms and there built to order from what i thought.

Old September 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Regular

phoenix99 is on a distinguished road

i've a 5.4 4v and i had to change alot of thing from my 4.6 2v
i dont regret the move but it,s not something you can do in a week-end ...
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM   #15
Regular

1998 Mustang GT
13.046@107.49

would you say that a 5.4 2v is alot easier than the 4v? Could you give me an idea of what you have to do extra for a 4v than a 2v? And what do you guys think about centrifigual superchargers like vortech? I heard they aren't as efficient, but alot of people talk highly of them. I am a big fan of the roots and twin screw blowers that sit on top of the engine but in the end it really comes down to bang for your buck and if I'm wasting my money or not. Also can the same centrifigual supercharger for a 4.6 2v easily transfer to a 5.4 2v or 4v?
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM   #16
Regular

phoenix99 is on a distinguished road

i don't know if it's alot easier but you can't reuse much of your 2v stuff...
you need to swap the wiring harness or you need to lengthen yours if you want to keep your 2v .
you can reuse your ecu but you need a tune
you can keep stock k-member
but you can't use 2v headers
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM   #17
Regular

1998 Mustang GT
13.046@107.49

Will my 2v 4.6 long tube headers fit with the 5.4 2v? I mean I know the bolt up is the same but it was so tight in there to get them in with the 4.6. Will they fit with the 5.4? So will I have to get rid of my long tube headers anyways.

I saw on this person's site: White GT, 5.4DOHC swap. - Edmonton, Alberta that he had to get rid of his power steering and move the pedal box. Did you have to do the same? I would prefer to keep my power steering. He also said he had to get a tubular k member. Can I really keep my stock one?

I keep hearing the the 5.4 2v just drops right in and its real easy and cheap to do but obviously I would prefer to do the 4v but not if it requires to much to be done and alot more money. So basically, is it worth it to go 4v?
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #18
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

Will my 2v 4.6 long tube headers fit with the 5.4 2v? I mean I know the bolt up is the same but it was so tight in there to get them in with the 4.6. Will they fit with the 5.4? So will I have to get rid of my long tube headers anyways.

I saw on this person's site: White GT, 5.4DOHC swap. - Edmonton, Alberta that he had to get rid of his power steering and move the pedal box. Did you have to do the same? I would prefer to keep my power steering. He also said he had to get a tubular k member. Can I really keep my stock one?

I keep hearing the the 5.4 2v just drops right in and its real easy and cheap to do but obviously I would prefer to do the 4v but not if it requires to much to be done and alot more money. So basically, is it worth it to go 4v?

Yea your 4.6 headers will bolt to the 5.4 but won't fit in the car that way.
And you can realy keep your stock K.Its worth it to go 4v Depending on what you yourself want.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM   #19
Regular

1998 Mustang GT
13.046@107.49

How do you feel about the centrifugal superchargers? Are they worth it? And do you know anything I would have to do to go 5.4 4v other than wiring harness? Does it pretty much just slide right in? Do I have to get rid of my power steering?
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM   #20
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

How do you feel about the centrifugal superchargers? Are they worth it? And do you know anything I would have to do to go 5.4 4v other than wiring harness? Does it pretty much just slide right in? Do I have to get rid of my power steering?
How do i feel well i would say there not bad im just not a fan i have seen people make good numbers with them i have two friends ruinning wortech setups one makes over 500+rwhp on his 98 cobra high 10 sec car and another 425rwhp 01 cobra in the 11s.

You can go Centrifugal,Roots,Turbo,Or Spray and achive your power goals if your running a stock bottom end your limmited to hom much power you can make so any power adder will push your motor to the limits.
Alot of it is personal preference alot of the kits are different even in the centri world personally i would go with a ProCharger if i went Centri.

But there are some Budget Turbo kits out there in the 2k range from On3Performance and they have dyno proven there kits make power so if your on a budget and want to make good power Turbo is the way to go.

Like i said it all depends what you want out of the car,Do you want to Drag race the majority of the time or do you want a all around fun car?
What are you looking to get out of your car?

I was going to go turbo but went with a roots style blower just because of the ease of it being a direct bolt on to my motor and not having to deal wit hthe pluming of a turbo kit.and its still about the same amount of weight added to the front of the car,because at the time i only has 1k to play with and wanted a power adder but i kinda wanted to stay away from spray.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: supercharger and 5.4
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
supercharger ?s angryoriental 2005 - 2010 31 September 20th, 2008 07:30 AM
Supercharger 01brknGT 99 - 04 7 September 11th, 2008 10:04 AM
New to the supercharger. chadscharged5.0 General Tech 10 August 21st, 2008 12:52 PM
best supercharger out there 00GT General Tech 16 April 11th, 2007 09:28 PM
I got my Supercharger mb03stang 99 - 04 5 March 21st, 2007 06:10 PM