Gas Leaking right after Fill up
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Regular

1998 Mustang GT

oannamarie is on a distinguished road

Gas Leaking right after Fill up

My car leaks gas from underneath the car right after I fill it up. Once I start the car and drive it it stops leaking and doesnt start again until I fill it up. If I dont fill it up and just put some gas in it it doesnt leak. Any ideas as to what is wrong.

BTW my father in law backed into the rear quarter panel right where the gas tank is. I am having it looked at Friday but wanted some ideas before hand.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

wraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to wraitherx Send a message via Yahoo to wraitherx

check your filler neck for any cracks
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Guydudebro

2007 Mustang GT
No Track, No Time

TheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!

for any cracks, check your filler neck

Originally Posted by bluebandit!
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GAYYYYYY!!!!

Old September 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Regular

1998 Mustang GT

If it has cracks is it hard to fix. Do you think it could be a result of the accident
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
2k3 Blown Mach 1

03 Mach 1 & 02 GT

2002 BLK GT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 2002 BLK GT

Prolly, but that's a common problem.......

2003 Mach 1 Procharged 497rwhp club
MMR 900 shortblock new numbers soon.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM   #6
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2000 gt

mustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to behold

accident might've been the straw that broke the camels back. it's a common issue.

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
Regular

another dahm ford

mmikeclass06 is on a distinguished road

if it is. you can go to a local junkyard and grab one for a few bucks. not hard to get off either

97' 3.8 to 4.6 swap all stock
67' mustang gt coupe
88' ranger, just a clean ass truck
48' jeep cj2 the work hogg
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:19 AM   #8
Proud American

1996 Mustang GT

MustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MustangMatt96GT

Could be the gasket that goes into the tank... i have had to replace those before...

1996 Mustang GT - Racecar
1995 Mustang GT - Daily Driver
Special Thanks to:
PoorMan Motorsports Full Parts Supply
MIA Motorsports For any Chassis Related Work or Drag Wings

25.3 SFI Chassis Build

Never Lift Racecars
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:11 AM   #9
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MustangMatt96GT View Post
Could be the gasket that goes into the tank... i have had to replace those before...

+1 for the filler neck Seal,About $30 if you pick it up from Ford.

Never ever heard of the Filler next cracking tho,Wtf are they talking about? lol

97 PAC Green Bolted-On Cobra 04 IRS Swapped
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Enthusiast

99 SVT Cobra
N/A Yet

HorsepoweR is on a distinguished road

+2 on filler neck seal...been there done that
On
Road
Dominating
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Regular

1998 Mustang GT

Thanks for the insight. Is the Filler seal hard to replace? How would I go about doing that
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #12
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light330CubeGt is a glorious beacon of light

I have changed the seal in my V6 with out dropping the tank it was a bitch to wiggle the filler neck in and out but it was worth it since the tank was almost full and that can make it a pain in the A to drop it.But normally you should drop the tank when replacing the seal.also when putting the seal in put some vasoline on the rubber its self and the filler neck if you want just so it slides in smooth and you don't risk ripping/messing up the new seal.Hoe my 2cents helps.

Old September 4th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Black Betty

2002 Camaro SS

MeMz is a jewel in the roughMeMz is a jewel in the roughMeMz is a jewel in the rough

How much do you fill it up? If you put too much its got an overflow tube that spits gas out.
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #14

dustang5398 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 330CubeGt View Post
I have changed the seal in my V6 with out dropping the tank it was a bitch to wiggle the filler neck in and out but it was worth it since the tank was almost full and that can make it a pain in the A to drop it.But normally you should drop the tank when replacing the seal.also when putting the seal in put some vasoline on the rubber its self and the filler neck if you want just so it slides in smooth and you don't risk ripping/messing up the new seal.Hoe my 2cents helps.
When i put mine in also didn't drop the tank completely out. I loosend the straps to drop it a little then i could pull the neck out and replace the rubber seal....... Also as stated above, use some patroleum jelly or vasaline to coat the gasket it or you'll be ripping it like i did on my first one........lOL GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM   #15
Regular

1998 Mustang GT

I have purchased the o ring for the filler neck and am installing it on Sunday. Just wondering what adverse affects other than leaking gas a bad o ring would have. My car smells like gas most of the time after driving it and it seems to use more gas than normal. Could this be that it evaporates quicker due to the bad o ring.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM   #16
MM Fanatic

1997 SVT COBRA
1996 Mustang V6

I ended up having to replace mine on my 98 a few days ago.I already had the tank out for the sump so it was musch easyer slipping it up in there with no gas in the tank

Old October 8th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #17
FucusRuckus

08 Ford Fuckus
n/a

CobraPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdCobraPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdCobraPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdCobraPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdCobraPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdCobraPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mustanginky View Post
accident might've been the straw that broke the camels back. it's a common issue.
thats twice i heard that phase in these forums today lol

Originally Posted by 08blkgt500 View Post
Originally Posted by vastang757 View Post
for a deaf guy, i thought you'd know more sign language than that...

Check Garage For Crews
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

1995 Mustang GT
SLOWER THAN OLD PEOPLE FUCK..:-(

Traidmarx will become famous soon enoughTraidmarx will become famous soon enough

yea sounds like the seal...do you notice it leaking when you take turns? because thats another way to to kinda tell. well all the gas runs to that side of the tank. Its a simple fix me and a buddy replaced one on his 97 Cobra took us about 20 mins.

1995 Mustang GT..4.30's,BBK Longtubes, Off Road X-Pipe,Magnaflow Catback,BBK Intake,BBK Underdrive Pulleys Walbro 255lph pump,accel dizzy,MSD Coil,MSD 8.5 Super Conductors,front sway bar removed, more coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Gas Leaking right after Fill up
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas Tank Leaking?? How to Drop your Fuel Tank / Replace the Filler Neck Gasket gills99stang 99 - 04 70 April 20th, 2014 10:55 PM
05+ gas tank fill "fix" ???? stage2ROUSH 2005 - 2010 3 March 31st, 2009 10:57 AM
Gas Tank Leaking... HorsepoweR 96 - 98 6 March 23rd, 2009 11:00 AM
gas leaking carlos 99 - 04 8 July 26th, 2008 12:17 AM
Fill The Gas Tank theodoor24 Classic Mustangs 10 February 25th, 2007 11:25 PM