Modded Mustang Forums banner

How much can stock internals take?

10K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  330CubeGt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, so iv had lots of fun with my supercharger. But now its just not enough... At my school so far i have the fastest car. But I want to be faster..

I have a few questions

How much can my stock internals take?
How much does it cost to get all that swapped with forged pistons, crank and stuff?

Im running 6psi right now and I want to go to 10psi
I was wondering if id blow my motor to peices if I did it

My motor has 103k as of today. I keep it on the strict oil change and maintance scheduale.

She does get drivin kinda hard. Im 16 so its hard not to.

Would i be safer going with a 50-75 shot of nitrous or like comp 270's?

edit: I drive a 1997 Mustang GT w/ Powerdyne Supercharger, 78mm BBK throttle body and plenium, Magnaflow Exhaust

See less See more
#7 ·
100% agree... try 8-9 lbs before going 10psi+...im perfectly happy with 6lbs maxed out...tons of fun...i'm in a somewhat same situation two states away at college. i can not afford to blow anything...i would assume the same for you...

#6 ·
Got mine for a grand on craigs list.
First im doing the fuel but im gonna pump up the boost soon. 10psi sounds fun. Il stop working on the car after that. I dont see the need for any more mods.

Also I cant blow it cause I wont be able to get to work to pay for it to get forged =P

I want my heads O-Ringed so i can take mad boost...i think that would be fun....oh well dreams for the future.

#12 ·
Also I cant blow it cause I wont be able to get to work to pay for it
There's your answer. You gotta pay to play. I know it's not what you want to hear, but you've got a LOT of time to build an eleventybillion horsepower car later on down the road.

If you're bored with the power you have, try your hand at something besides straight lines.

#8 ·
lol your just lucky you have a 4.6 at 16. i didnt get my first till i was 18 and i had to buy it myself, it was a 95 GT, and since then ive had a 94 gt and now have a 96 GT, so like i said your lucky, plus its S/C. im not even there yet haha and im 20

#9 ·
Haha my thoughts exactly, im lucky to be driving my first at 19... and even now i don't have boost in the picture.

I wouldn't up the boost without intercooling myself, you should be happier than a pig in **** if you can run 10psi with stock internals with no problems. Boost kills your motor, you will last twice as many miles with 6psi than, 9-10 psi, unless your bottom end is fully forged.

My friend did a pulley upgrade last year to handle 10psi on the stock s197 motor with a V-2 vortec, and regreted it. It ran like **** untill he did a custom front intercooler. Fuel cut was a big issue even with an upgraded fuel pump and throttle body, it ran super hot and he could never ever hook up, even with drag radials.

What took me a long time to understand is that YOU ARE NEVER GONNA BE FAST ENOUGH! Don't rush into boosting the living **** out of your stang unless you have the $$$ to deal with the fury of broken parts. You admitted yourself you drive the car hard... a heavy foot and 10psi of non intercooled boost are not a good combo.

I would recommend 270's as well before doing anything else. My route of action is to keep my engine as close to stock as possible, then wait for a good deal on a rebuilt forged 4.6 block and do then run 12-15psi, 100hp shot of N20 and have no worries of grenading it!!!

#10 ·
one thing to really really consider is that the powerdyne superchargers are NOTORIOUS for not being quality built pieces. go to carreview.com and look up the parts and find powerdyne superchargers and read bout them. they have a problem with blowing to pieces. to make your car FASTER, buy a better suspension. our sn95 bodystyles dont have the best setup from factory. you can make your car faster without stressin the motor more. and intercooling is a great idea. SO, some upper and lower control arms, subframe connectors, coilovers, tubular kmember... all stuff that will make your car faster and wont blow your engine or supercharger up by pushin it too hard.

#11 ·
+1 on suspension. its long and hard, but read the official suspension guide for some good information.

#14 ·
I say its time for new bottom end internals before anything goes out. Thats alot of miles on the motor.

#15 ·
A lot of good advice has been given. blow it if you want (teehee) but don't push it. thesmarter thing would be to save a little for newer/better internals

Thats alot of miles on the motor.
Lol mines over 135k and I take it to the track...sounds funny when I floor it, though :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.