'05 Police Interceptor 4.6l
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1

1998 Mustang GT 4.6L 2v
2 days

trail*ridin is on a distinguished road

'05 Police Interceptor 4.6l

i have found a ton of these, at a salvage yard all less than 40k miles. i will be able to do a compression check on them, see, and hear them run. price is in my range (900 bucks each).

question is, are these direct swap in? i have read everywhere on here about '04 swaps but nothing on '05.

the reason for the '05 swap, my motor is bad and getting worse. the 05 is rated about 10 hp, and 5 ft lbs less than a stock 98 gt.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #2
******************** of Innovative Auto

96 Cobra and 97 GT
13.1@105 MPH

97GT4.6 is a jewel in the rough97GT4.6 is a jewel in the rough97GT4.6 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 97GT4.6

Yeah it should go it no problem. I am unsure of any minor changes you may have to make, but if you find one you like, go for it.

I'm running a 95 vic bottom end right now
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Enthusiast

99 mustang GT

ForestGRN_Ghost will become famous soon enough

it will bolt right up.
i'd get a PI intake to go with it though
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trail*ridin View Post
i have found a ton of these, at a salvage yard all less than 40k miles. i will be able to do a compression check on them, see, and hear them run. price is in my range (900 bucks each).

question is, are these direct swap in? i have read everywhere on here about '04 swaps but nothing on '05.

the reason for the '05 swap, my motor is bad and getting worse. the 05 is rated about 10 hp, and 5 ft lbs less than a stock 98 gt.
The 05 PI is rated at 250 hp and my 98 is rated at 215hp.

You would be upgrading regardless if your motor is on the way out though.

the 05 has a pi intake.
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and unless you are a track whore.. get the tranny from it too.. it is built for high speed shifts.
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #6

1998 Mustang GT 4.6L 2v
2 days

thanks for the info.
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #7
The Hammer

Millenium Falcon
"Lived the Dream, Created the Reality, Basking in my Awesomeness"

G.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond repute

it may have a pi intake already, but it's not angled right.....

i beleive the air inlet tube aims oppisite on a gt....

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I would eat the peanuts out of her shit

Car Salesman Club - The Hammer
ModdedMustangs Conspiracy Group: President
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Regular

red01 is on a distinguished road

I just had this swap done but with a 04 motor from a police interceptor. Its a straight forward swap. You will need to reuse a few things from your car like the oil pan, oil filter housing, plenum, TB, intake tube, fuel rails, and exhaust manifolds. After that just bolt it in and reflash the computer with a handheld tuner( I used superchips) and your ready to roll. Its a huge difference from the NPI motor.I believe the CV motor was PI as of 2002 so it is a full PI motor your getting. The 250hp rating is only due to the tune on the crown vics, its the same motor as the mustang so it will make the same power with the reflash. I got my motor for $1000 installed with 29k on the motor and it was all documented. you can find them for less than $900, just look around.

1997 Mustang GT
04 PI 2V, bolt ons, gears, tune
255/292

www.covertmotorsports.net
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

tfofkyle will become famous soon enoughtfofkyle will become famous soon enough

i want a crown vic motor
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #10

1998 Mustang GT 4.6L 2v
2 days

believe me when i say i have done a butt load of research, i actually found somewhere where i believe they said the 05 will work sadly i didnt print it out.

i figured i would have to swap to a mustang intake, from what i have read already.

i have found several alot cheaper than $900, but the yard selling the $900 dollar motors are a little more trust worthy, as i have done alot of business with themin the past. i am able to actually hear the motor run, and do a compression check, ect.

with the tuner, is this like the diesel tuners just plug them in to obd port and go from there or is it something more involved? can i get them from summit, jegs, local speed shop, ect?

is one tuner better than the other, or are they all the same.
(i know when the diesel tuners came out some of them were sh1t, some had problems and would cause more damage than good)

thanks for all the input it is very helpful.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Regular

believe me when i say i have done a butt load of research, i actually found somewhere where i believe they said the 05 will work sadly i didnt print it out.

i figured i would have to swap to a mustang intake, from what i have read already.

i have found several alot cheaper than $900, but the yard selling the $900 dollar motors are a little more trust worthy, as i have done alot of business with themin the past. i am able to actually hear the motor run, and do a compression check, ect.

with the tuner, is this like the diesel tuners just plug them in to obd port and go from there or is it something more involved? can i get them from summit, jegs, local speed shop, ect?

is one tuner better than the other, or are they all the same.
(i know when the diesel tuners came out some of them were sh1t, some had problems and would cause more damage than good)

thanks for all the input it is very helpful.
The 05 motor is the same as the 02 when they went to PI, the guy that did my motor just put a 2006 motor in my buds 96GT. You dont need a new intake manifold, its just the plenum, TB, and intake tube that face the opposite direction of the mustangs due to the battery location on the CV's. I used a handheld superchips tuner that plugs into the obd, any handheld will be fine, I got mine cheap so thats why i used the superchips and it worked great.

BTW.....is your name Lawton? if so This is Eric, I bought the wheels off you last week.

1997 Mustang GT
255/292

Old March 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #12

1998 Mustang GT 4.6L 2v
2 days

no my name is barry, what kinda wheels did you get. i would like to get a set of the 17" 5 double spokes ('96-'97 style) right now it has 5 spoke (kinda like the old pony wheels).
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #13
Regular

no my name is barry, what kinda wheels did you get. i would like to get a set of the 17" 5 double spokes ('96-'97 style) right now it has 5 spoke (kinda like the old pony wheels).
Ok, I got some 17x9/17x10.5 bullits from a dude in lakel;and with a 98 GT that was also thinking of doing the swap, thought you might be him. check craigslist for wheels, thats where I found mine.

1997 Mustang GT
255/292

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: '05 Police Interceptor 4.6l
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police Interceptor Converter/ Flywheel 6stang V6 Mustangs 1 September 17th, 2009 08:14 PM
police interceptor vs stock 5.0 stfudvs 5.0 Mustangs 23 April 5th, 2009 12:42 AM
police interceptor motor? 94v6blkndred Modular Mustangs 3 May 20th, 2008 09:43 PM
Civic Vs Crown Vic Police Interceptor ricvpi Racer's Corner 6 October 13th, 2007 04:46 PM