Modded Mustang Forums banner

code p1443 help please?

26K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Rich2279 
#1 ·
hey guys, so my 1996 gt has been throwing code p1443 which is relevant to evap emissions control system i do believe.

so after reading all the posts relevant to this code people are talking about replacing the purge valve due to it possibly being stuck open but none of these posts mentioned exactly my problem too because in my car it seems at a stop every once in a while i smell HEAVY gas anyone got any insight towards this?

#2 ·
The most common cause of an evap code is a loose gas cap. Then a loose or broken evap line. Then the valve, then the sensor, then the actual charcoal canister itself. If you are smelling fuel it may be a broken line. Trace the line going off the rear of your upper plenum to the canister then to the tank. If you don't find a break then one of the other three components may be bad.

#3 ·
HW7 DTC P1443: CHECK THE VOLTAGE ON THE PURGE FLOW (PF) SENSOR CIRCUIT VOLTAGE WITH ENGINE RUNNING
Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1443 indicates an incorrect evaporative system purge control valve flow.

Possible causes:

Obstructed, open or cracked hoses between EVAP canister purge valve and intake manifold.
Damaged EVAP canister purge valve.
Damaged PF sensor.
Key off.
Disconnect PF sensor.
Check for loose pins or broken wires by pulling moderately on the PF, VPWR and PWR GND circuits at PF sensor harness connector.
Repair as necessary.
Reconnect PF sensor.
Connect scan tool.
Key on, engine running.
Access EVAPPF PID.
Key off.

HW8 DTC P1443: VISUAL CHECK OF EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYSTEM

Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1443 indicates an Evaporative emission control system or evaporative canister purge valve (mechanical) malfunction.

Possible causes:

Damaged EVAP canister.
Pinched, plugged, blocked, cracked, cut or disconnected fuel vapor tubes/hoses between the fuel tank, EVAP canister, EVAP canister purge valve, purge flow (PF) sensor, and the engine intake manifold.
Damaged EVAP canister purge valve.
Damaged PF sensor.
EVAP CANISTER PURGE, or PF circuit shorted to VPWR.
Note: Fuel saturation of EVAP canister cannot be effectively checked by the canister weight or intensity of odor (smell).

Check for kinked or pinched fuel vapor tubes/hoses between EVAP canister, EVAP canister purge valve and engine intake manifold.
Check for cracked or smashed EVAP canister

#4 ·
thanks guys, ill be troubleshooting this problem when i get home with the information you provided me with THANKS a million for the quick responses.

after reading im assuming due to the fuel smell thats its either a broken line or the valve is stuck open. ill let you know when i find out

#7 ·
well looked around and didnt see any cracked lines and due to the fact that the gas i smell is only intermittent and not all the time came to the conclusion its the purge valve.... now to replace and see! kinda dealing with overheating problems right now

#8 ·
Sorry to bring up a 1-year old thread, but I'm having similar issues. I haven't had that code, but I've been noticing a very strong gas smell through the HVAC air. I changed the purge solenoid but it hasn't helped. I changed the in-cabin air filter and fuel filter too.

Recently, the fuel gauge has been whacked as well. Whenever I make a turn or accelerate the needles quickly moves to empty and then returns to normal after several seconds.

Did you ever find a solution?

Tony

#12 ·
mine through that exact code when the filler neck to seal went bad...but granted i was pissing gallons of 93 out the side on turns...this you should notice

#18 ·
As I've mentioned before, I've been having problems with my gas gauge. Well, I ran the car out of gas last week because I couldn't tell how much gas I had left. Filled it up & drove it home and bought a bottle of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubrication & Injector Cleaner and put it in the tank. I then took it out for a drive and it ran like total crap for about 10 minutes (might have got some sediment from the bottom of the gas tank?) and then it cleared right up. I haven't had the gas smell since. Don't ask my how or why, but my gas gauge has been working 100% now too.

Just FYI.

Tony

#19 ·
My "check engine" light came on two days ago. I don't smell gas, Ive checked my gas cap & everything. Took it down to Auto Zone & it came back p1443 code. Its a 1998 v6 3.8l mustang. I dont want to put a bunch of money out on it, if it doesnt fix it. Any ideas to what is wrong?
thank you.
Halie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.