Modded Mustang Forums banner

Overheating issues again!

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  BurninRubb3r 
#1 ·
Well i got my stang from my bro with little problems and tought i can fix it which i have, i bought some nice cobra r rims and fixed that the crappy plastic manifold that had cracked where the t-stat housing is which i tought was the reason that it was overheating. It did help but still runs hot, ussualy on the "R" on the temp guage or some times on the "M" which will trow out the coolant and this is when i turn on the a/c or just tend to run it at 70 in the texas weather. The water pumps is new and the fan motor is new too and the coolant sensors have just been replaced. With carefull examination i've noticed that the fan only turns on when it reaches to the "R" on the guage, i really think thats not normal because i have noticed some of the new cars with electric fans kicking in when the cars turns on. What might be the promblem, does anyone have this same promblem that may know how to fix it. I been thinking of hot wiring the fan but rather fix the promblem and not taking that shortcut.
plus, is my tranny going bad, when i punch it some times it wont shift and hit high rpm's and will have to let go of the gas to shift.

#7 ·
i guess im not understanding... is your gauge jumping past the L in NORMAL and dumping coolant? thats the only time your car should dump it, really. and that sounds like a bad thermostat to me, or a head gasket going. if it dumps within the normal range, then you are simply overfilling it.

and do not run a switch on the fan - chances are one day you will be in a rush and forget to turn it on.

#8 ·
hey bro i had the same problem with my car exact same problem so far i have flushed it out changed waterpump,to a high flo water pump and added a 12" fan to the outside to help air flow and after all that it's still doing it takes a lot longer but still overheats eventually if i am driving under 55 my conclusion and has been told to me over 100 times is i need a diferent radiator so before you go and buy everything like i did GET THE RADIATOR !! will prolly save you 300 thats what i spent so far and could of had it already so plz listen cause i didnt these guys told me alot that was my problem ares are junk once you start with any mods !! best of luck bro and let me know how it turns out:tomato:tomato

#9 ·
The 96 models seam to have this cooling problem alot. Did Ford change out the radiator after 96 or something? My cousin has a 96 cobra and she swapped out for a fluidyne. She said it worked ALOT better but broke after about 3 years of use. I'm not sure what she switched it out to now.

#10 ·
yes. if you look on american muscle or such youll see theres a specific 96 year radiator, then a 97-04 radiator if im not mistaken. no idea how or why, but for some odd reason us 96's suck. sad to hear about your cousin's fluidyne. but thats why im eyeing the mishimoto for their "no questions asked" replacement policy. ive had 3 stock radiators leak on me. local shop also has a brand new fluidyne and frpp radiators that leaked like hell upon installation. luck of the draw i suppose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.