Modded Mustang Forums banner

rear end gear ratio

13K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  ujslost 
#1 ·
what is the stock rear end gear ratio for a 96-98 gt. r they the same for convertibles or dif? I've found multiple sites claiming 2.73, some r 3.08, and I believe a 3.23 was tossed up in there.

#2 ·
yes. Look at the tag on youre rear end of give me youre vin and i can tell you

#3 ·
I would say you prolly have 3.27's in there...But check the diff tag to make sure...

#10 ·
That wont help, on your drivers door jab there will be a sticker and then at the bottom of it towards the right you will see AX. If the letter is an A then you have a 2.73 or a 3.08. If you have a C then you have 3.27.
I was also wrong I said that 2.73s and 3.27s were the only axles, but 3.08s were also avalible.

#12 ·
Well I dont think that you can determine the rear gear ratio by just the vin I think you need to look at the sticker on the door jab. Not to mention it would be easier!

#13 ·
Worse case you can simply jack the rear of the car up and mark the tire and the ground, then have someone rotate the tire one full rotation, and while you are under, mark and look at the drive shaft and count how many rotations it turns. IE..3.27 would be if the driveshaft turned about 3 and a quarter turns. It's really not complicated, but it is a sure bet worse case.

#16 ·
My Axel code on the door of my 03 GT Convertible is LE, but on the rear end, I have a tag and one of the codes is 3L27, i'm assuming thats 3.27 limited slip?

Car feels like it has 2:73 to me, won't even break the rear tires and i've drive a good few mustangs, this seems to be the slowest for some reason.

#17 ·
by the way, i was wondering if 3.73 is the best gear ratio...i like them but i was just wondering your guys opinion.

#20 ·
96GTRagTop....sorry. Ford now has a 10 year limit to what i can see.

1badpony...3l27 means you have a locker rear end with 3.27 gears.

If youre running a n/a car go 4.10's or 4.30's. If youre F.I. stick to a 3.55 or 3.73.

#21 ·
I have no experience at all with gears, but I am getting 4.10s as soon as I can! Why not put in the 4.10s while you are in there? The 3.73s will still be a difference, but the 4.10s will just make your car so much more fun to drive!! And if you do ever go FI see if the 4.10s are too low and if so at that point swap down to a 3.73.

#22 ·
I've decided to put 3.73's in my car and was about to order the kit through summit when i opened up my 5.0 magizine and discovered the gear and pinion for 170 bux and the installation kit next to it for 90 bux. I was prepared to spend 420 bux plus shipping and this is only gonna run my about 260 plus shipping. the only differance is that the summit kit comes with a new rear dif casing and the one out of the mag doesn't. I've got a technician to do the install for me for under 300 but he told me to double check and make sure that all the components are in both kits before i order the cheaper one. Has anyone ordered one of these kits and or anyone with experience changing the gears gie me some advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.