power steering or brake problem??
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 21st, 2011, 06:04 PM   #1
6 Time ROTM Loser!

1996 Mustang GT
1 @ 1

V8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to all

power steering or brake problem??

so i was going to work when my brakes started to feel really weird when i pressed them. i pulled off the freeway and when i turned, that felt weird also. i find somewhere to pull over and there small smoke coming out from the bottom.

something was leaking for sure, but not exactly where. right by the front wheel on drivers side there is a rubber scrunchy type thing that goes side to side. what does that do? because there was another line that goes in the area, and it looks like it wore through the rubber piece.

what do you guys think this is? brake fluid?

Old April 21st, 2011, 07:16 PM   #2
MM's DRUNKEN SAILOR & master shit shoveler

rigid harleys
as fast as i can push them!

deedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to deedub97GT

throw up some pictures man

MILITARY CREW GSM2

Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!

Like old harleys? check out my build thread! -->75 rigid iron rebuild

i love throbbing meat
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
6 Time ROTM Loser!

1996 Mustang GT
1 @ 1

V8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to allV8POWA! is a name known to all

ya i was going to and will tomarrow. its just i was on my way to work...and had to walk like half a mile to work....and was late.

i think its part of the power steering, but would that effect my brake pedal. its like a brake line or some other line wore through the rubber and now its leaking.
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Regular

96 Mustang GT
B There 1 Day.

LoveStangs88 is on a distinguished road

Those black rubber boots that go side to side are your steering gear dust boots. Also those lines are indeed your power steering lines, some of them are the power steering pressure lines and the other are the return lines. I was actually just looking at these this morning when i was cleaning off a bunch of old oil that covered them with some de-greaser. If your lines are damaged its a hard repair but replacing the rubber boots is fairly simple

Replacing the boots is fairly simple but u have to buy new clamps for them since its not recommended to re-use the old clamps, You will have to dis-connect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckle but before u take the tie rod end off the knuckle, loosen the jam nut and mark where the nut was at with paint after u loosen it so when u reinstall u know where to tighten it up to, then when taking the tie rod off the steering knuckle mark or remember where the other nut is at, notice how this one is not connected or disconnected all the way its like that for a safety measure. Now u can take if off or cut the clamps on the boots then take it off. Next take off the outer clamps on the rubber boot and you will have to cut the inner clamps then slide the old boots off the tie rods, and when you install the new boot wrap the tie rod threads and sharp areas with tape so you dont rip or tear the new boots when sliding them on, then remove the tape after you slide them on and are ready to clamp em down. Then reconnect everything the way it looked when u disconected it, make sure all the nuts are only screwed on to where u marked them all then go check your alignment if you feel like your alignment is off after doing the job. It maybe or may not be since your messing with the front tie rods and steering parts for the car and moving it side to side and such when working on it. GL brotha! +reps?

PI Manifold. 75mm tb/plenum. Magnaflow X pipe. FR driveshaft. MGW shifter. New brakes and clutch stuff.

Last edited by LoveStangs88; April 21st, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:47 PM   #5
6 Time ROTM Loser!

1996 Mustang GT
1 @ 1

thanks for the help, and yes + reps when I get home where I can.

is there any possibility that the fluid is in that boot thing? and thats why its leaking..
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Regular

96 Mustang GT
B There 1 Day.

hmm the power steering gear connects to the front of that metal crossmember inbetween the boots its those 2 semi long bolts sticking strait out of the crossmember towards the bumper. then the pressure lines run above it and they connect into the fittings near the ends of the crossmember, those fittings have 4 lines that run into them, it depends which line tore into the boots and may have broke or bent and has a tear in it causing it to leak into the boots

PI Manifold. 75mm tb/plenum. Magnaflow X pipe. FR driveshaft. MGW shifter. New brakes and clutch stuff.
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Enthusiast

1997 SVT Cobra

Wich88 is on a distinguished road

^ are you talking about the rack and pinion?? The bolts mount the rack to the k-member.

MM Cobra member #89

MGW Shifter, 3.73's, Moser axles,UPR upper and lower control arms, MSD COILS, Flowmasters 40's, Cobra R's wrapped with Nitto's, BBK O/R X
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Regular

96 Mustang GT
B There 1 Day.

just sayin what i know from lookin this morning but yeah what you said man pretty much there... but yeah thanks for correcting my terminology

Last edited by LoveStangs88; April 21st, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:30 AM   #9

az98PIgt is on a distinguished road

If the boots on your rack and pinion are "leaking" you need to replace the whole rack...or at least rebuild it...There is a seal where the inner tie-rod goes and there is not supposed to be ANY fluid in those boots. Thats what they are is dust boots..to keep the dust and road grime from destroying that outer seal. I know because mine is leaking right now from the passenger side boot so i am about to replace the whole R&P this week. Sucks but there is no easy fix for that problem....trust me i searched and the Lucas p/s stop leak doesnt work either
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

tfofkyle will become famous soon enoughtfofkyle will become famous soon enough

our power steering is tied into the brakes via the hydroboost system. if something effects the power steering - the brakes will be affected as well.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:05 PM   #11
6 Time ROTM Loser!

1996 Mustang GT
1 @ 1

I kinda think that what happened tfofkyle. Cause both my steering is kinda weird (harder to turn wheel) and also my brakes have to be pressed more and don't feel right with noises...

the line that wore into the boot looks really close to it and doesn't seem like it should be in that area.

let me know if more info or pics needed! from these pics any more ideas of what or where the leak is? im out there now looking at it and cleaning things off trying to find it....
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Enthusiast

1997 SVT Cobra

Wich88 is on a distinguished road

Is the fluid coming out out of the boot?

MM Cobra member #89

MGW Shifter, 3.73's, Moser axles,UPR upper and lower control arms, MSD COILS, Flowmasters 40's, Cobra R's wrapped with Nitto's, BBK O/R X
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #13
6 Time ROTM Loser!

1996 Mustang GT
1 @ 1

ok so I found out that the line that is touching the boot DOES have a split in it and thats where its leaking....

So is that the brake line? anyone have a diagram or where can i order them from? I would have to change that brake line and the boot...anyone have a picture of their brake lines to see where they are supposed to run?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:51 PM   #14
6 Time ROTM Loser!

1996 Mustang GT
1 @ 1

and it's raining now....wtf
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:44 PM   #15
6 Time ROTM Loser!

1996 Mustang GT
1 @ 1

so it is that line that was touching the boot. there is a small crack in it.

what line is that? and where can i get another one? do I have to repace the whole line?

the line goes all the way to the middle big one in the picture. what is that for? do i have to replace the whole line from there all the way down to the bottom, or is there sections...

I cant find a diagram or anything for that....

HELP!!!!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM   #16

rigid harleys

deedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud ofdeedub97GT has much to be proud of

its a power steering line. your power steering and brakes use the same booster i think. so your breaks went week because of the leak. you can get the line from any autozone. its called a power steering rack line. and its just a section going from the bolt on the power steering rack to the rubber hose (under the black plastic stuff).

MILITARY CREW GSM2

i love throbbing meat
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM   #17
6 Time ROTM Loser!

1996 Mustang GT
1 @ 1

These are what I found. You have to get the whole line cause it looks like the thing is really connected to the rubber hoses inbetween...

one of these will work right? but what is the different between the assembly and the hose...
Gates 370260 - Pressure Line Assembly | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Powercraft 91975 - Power Steering Hose | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:55 PM   #18

rigid harleys

either one of those should work.

but i have a ghetto fix if you want to do it cheap. NOT RECOMENDED FOR PERMANANT USE!!! lol.
1. cut the metal hose where it connects to the rack with about 3 inches to spare. cut the rubber hose about in the middle of it.

2 go buy the right sized hose coupling and mate them together with rubber hose...oh yeah buy more hose lol. and run it and clamp it over the spare 3-4 inches coming off the rack.

it will get you drivable again.

MILITARY CREW GSM2

i love throbbing meat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: power steering or brake problem??
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power Steering Problem saltydog_NM 5.0 Mustangs 12 September 5th, 2010 12:36 AM
Power steering problem Graytex 96 - 98 5 April 12th, 2009 01:56 PM
Problem with car...I think it's power steering...what do you think? white03v6 V6 Mustangs 4 December 12th, 2008 11:15 PM
Power steering problem 04Pony 99 - 04 4 August 6th, 2008 05:50 AM
disc brake and power steering upgrades cliff Classic Mustangs 12 September 9th, 2006 01:27 PM