ways to lose weight
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Enthusiast

BAD98GT will become famous soon enoughBAD98GT will become famous soon enough

ways to lose weight

i was wanting to know what r some ways to lighten my heavy beast. also does anyone know how much the ac/rear seats/etc weigh? what is the dog bone located on the rear axle for... how much does it weigh and what r the disadvantages of removing it?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

So, first things first, WHERE you remove weight from is as, if not more, important than how much you remove. Rotating mass is better to remove than fixed mass, unsprung weight is better to remove than sprung (i.e. supported by the suspension) weight, weight up high is better to remove than weight down low, and weight at the ends is better to remove than weight in the middle. You also need to take the car's weight balance into consideration: a Mustang is a front heavy car, so you're better off taking weight off the nose than off the tail.

So, that being said..

The dog bone is there for harmonics reasons only. Scrap it.
A/C is about 35 lbs.
Rear seats really aren't that heavy, they're relatively low and in the middle of the car. Not a huge advantage to scrap 'em.
Front seats on the other hand *are* fairly heavy. You can save 30-40 lbs replacing them with lightweight racing seats.
Tubular suspension bits save weight. Going to a tubular K-member/A-arm/Coil-over setup can be worth 80 lbs off the front end. Tubular control arms out back will let you scrap the quad shocks.
Hood is already fiberglass, so not much weight to loose there unless you scrap the insulation.
Lightweight wheels are HUGE. Wheels are both rotating AND unsprung, making them some of the worst weight on the car. Saving 20 lbs off the wheels is probably worth pulling 100 lbs out of the pasenger compartment.
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Regular

1996 mustang GT

projectGT is on a distinguished road

There's a thread on here of all the weights for everything. I just can't find it but ill get for u
Old November 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1996 GT

1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of

Move your battery to the trunk, evens out the car a bit more without adding any weight.
Old November 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1996 GT View Post
Move your battery to the trunk, evens out the car a bit more without adding any weight.
Not entirely true - you're adding the weight of a battery box and the 0 gauge cable from the battery up to the engine bay

But, all pedantics aside, yes, trunk-mounting the battery is a good thing
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #6
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1996 GT

1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of

Okay you might add a few pounds. With something of so little weight you would notice zero difference aside from maybe slight more downforce.
Old November 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
So, first things first, WHERE you remove weight from is as, if not more, important than how much you remove. Rotating mass is better to remove than fixed mass, unsprung weight is better to remove than sprung (i.e. supported by the suspension) weight, weight up high is better to remove than weight down low, and weight at the ends is better to remove than weight in the middle. You also need to take the car's weight balance into consideration: a Mustang is a front heavy car, so you're better off taking weight off the nose than off the tail.

So, that being said..

The dog bone is there for harmonics reasons only. Scrap it.
A/C is about 35 lbs.
Rear seats really aren't that heavy, they're relatively low and in the middle of the car. Not a huge advantage to scrap 'em.
Front seats on the other hand *are* fairly heavy. You can save 30-40 lbs replacing them with lightweight racing seats.
Tubular suspension bits save weight. Going to a tubular K-member/A-arm/Coil-over setup can be worth 80 lbs off the front end. Tubular control arms out back will let you scrap the quad shocks.
Hood is already fiberglass, so not much weight to loose there unless you scrap the insulation.
Lightweight wheels are HUGE. Wheels are both rotating AND unsprung, making them some of the worst weight on the car. Saving 20 lbs off the wheels is probably worth pulling 100 lbs out of the pasenger compartment.

what exactly do u mean by the dogbone is there for harmonics? exactly what is harmonics? and is 2 grand for a new k member and coil over setup really worth 80 lbs? i could turbo charge it for that much and not worry about losing 80 lbs.
Old November 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Pacific Green Cobra
13.4@103.73/ 2.06 60ft

p4ndiamond is a jewel in the roughp4ndiamond is a jewel in the roughp4ndiamond is a jewel in the roughp4ndiamond is a jewel in the rough

cut those heavy ass doors off lol. i wish there were aftermarket doors , those things are rediculouse. i have a set of them in my attic
GT ENGINE (temporary) 4.30 Gears , 31 spline Moser axles , Detroit tru Trac diff, Pi intake Hitech stage 2 cam, Vortech V7-JT Alum drive shaft. Lowering kit x2 ball joints Koni DA, H&R Super race spring LCA "
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Regular

96 gt vert

philly101 is on a distinguished road

Most turbo kits u need tube k members tho
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

Originally Posted by BAD98GT View Post
what exactly do u mean by the dogbone is there for harmonics? exactly what is harmonics?
Harmonics is the math surrounding the interaction of different frequencies. However, insofar as the mustang is concerned it just means that it reduces NVH. Without it you might get some more noise, or might feel a vibration that you didn't before.

Originally Posted by BAD98GT View Post
and is 2 grand for a new k member and coil over setup really worth 80 lbs? i could turbo charge it for that much and not worry about losing 80 lbs.
Well, you're not just losing 80 lbs, you're getting a host of other benefits, including more room for turbo piping. Whether that's worth $2k to you is completely subjective. Based on your response, I'm going to guess it's not.
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Premium Member

Macunicorn will become famous soon enoughMacunicorn will become famous soon enough

I have done door and rear speakers, headunit, sound deadening material, padding under carpet, gutted trunk, Rear Seat Delete, Aluminum driveshaft, dumps on exhaust and other misc things.

Future, lightweight battery again, maybe even aftermarket hood.
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
Harmonics is the math surrounding the interaction of different frequencies. However, insofar as the mustang is concerned it just means that it reduces NVH. Without it you might get some more noise, or might feel a vibration that you didn't before.

Well, you're not just losing 80 lbs, you're getting a host of other benefits, including more room for turbo piping. Whether that's worth $2k to you is completely subjective. Based on your response, I'm going to guess it's not.
cool thanks for clearifing this to me.. reps to you
Old November 26th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Banned

1997 cougar 4.6 1/2PI
TooFast4theFUZZ

OptionalStang will become famous soon enough

all that sound deading shit under your carpet is good for 30-40lbs when all removed..think like that so it all still looks good..take all the shit out of the trunk..all the door and rear 1/4 insulation..i pulled random shit like that outta my car and 2 hours later i had my car almost 200lbs less..BUTT i did take most of the weight from the rear so i lost what bit of traction i had..and to tell you the truth,when i had all the seats out and every little thing i could easly get out like plastic trim and all, this baby felt wayy less heavy..felt like a stang and not a cougar when it came to weight..nice that stangs already have a fiberglass hood, i lost 80lbs switching to a fiberglass hood..and nothing less weight than some cheap 16in steelies..they weighed less than my buddies " light weight racing rims" both were for his stang..i still give him shit for that..
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Enthusiast

that good info to know and my stang has a metal hood...the magnet will stick to it, in 99 they started using fiberglass hoods if not mistaken
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #15
Regular

96 gt vert

My hood on my vert stil
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #16
Regular

96 gt vert

So how do we take off weight on the verts
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #17
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

Originally Posted by philly101 View Post
So how can I save weight on the vert
All the same ways you can on a coupe, you're just always at a ~200 lb disadvantage. That is, unless you're willing to make it a fair-weather only car and totally remove the top and all it's related bits, in which case you should come out a hair lighter than an equivalent hardtop.

I've been going back and forth on doing that to my 5.0. It's not like I ever drive it in the rain, anyway, lol.
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #18
:)

01 GT

Imran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud ofImran has much to be proud of

I lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks just by running two miles every day and drinking water/eating less fattening foods and moar chicken (not fried).

Might not be car weight, no, but it's still 11 lbs off my car when I'm driving lol.

Last edited by Imran; November 28th, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #19
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

Driver mod is best mod
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: ways to lose weight
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i need to lose weight Rhythm Stick The Clubhouse 173 January 18th, 2009 11:06 AM
Best ways to take off weight? 01 bullitt bullitt ak 99 - 04 13 November 18th, 2008 11:13 PM
Tryin to lose a little weight weems The Clubhouse 32 September 16th, 2008 12:46 PM
Can i lose weight like this? Youngin The Clubhouse 18 August 12th, 2008 03:38 PM
need to lose some weight. DickH 99 - 04 9 July 3rd, 2008 02:23 PM