98 gt bogging on wot
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:29 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

1998 Mustang GT

Sammy8172 is on a distinguished road

98 gt bogging on wot

Hey everyone new to the forum here. I just recently picked up a 98 gt from a cousin of mine who had it garaged since 06. The car will pull HARD while its running cold but after I give it a few minutes to warm up and give it wot it just doesn't move. It'll move up rpms but there's just no acceleration what so ever. I'll probably post videos tomorrow when I have time but I'm pretty sure it's not a fuel issue at this point. I can gradually give it gas and it'll redline every gear. I've changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs/wires, and maf. At first it was running the stock h-pipe but I thought that maybe my cats could be clogged so I replaced my midpipe with an o/r h pipe but that wasn't the issue either. And usually even after it warms up it'll go but after about 2500 it'll just bog out right away on wot.

It's pretty much stock, besides the bbk cai and sr peformance underdrive pulleys. no computer tune or anything. I didn't get a check engine light until I had the o/r pipe installed. I ran some intake cleaner through one of my vacuum hoses going to intake and blew out a ton of white smoke through exhaust. This was before I put on the h pipe. After that it threw CEL p0172 and p0174 one side running rich and other running lean..I reset the computer and no code since. The mufflers after midpipe have a few holes in them, I just got some new ones in the mail today just need to get them welded soon. I'm pretty positive that wouldn't cause it to bog out the way it does though.. Could my fuel injectors be clogged possibly? Will it pull like that while its cold and just give out when it gets warmer? Or could I just be having an issue with an upstream o2 sensor or any other sensor dealing with my intake or tps? I had no CEL what so ever and I was still having this issue so it's got me pretty stumped. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

wot after I let the engine warm up-

neutral, me giving it wot then just gradually giving it gas all the way-

Last edited by Sammy8172; June 17th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Watch n learn

Ponyryd will become famous soon enough

Fuel issue would be my guess, how much fuel was it stored withÉ anything less than full I`d say you need a new tank, pump and filter.
Old June 16th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #3

1998 Mustang GT

Forgot to mention I picked up a new tank from the junk yard. He said he left the car with no fuel but I replaced it anyways the old tank was a little corroded.
Old June 17th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4
Watch n learn

Ponyryd will become famous soon enough

My guess would be pump, it would have seen all the moisture over the years of having an empty tank. Check your fuel pressure, I bet the pump dies when warm.
Old June 17th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Regular

1997 Mustang CObra
14.3@99

JC316 will become famous soon enoughJC316 will become famous soon enough

Is it an auto or manual? From the way you are describing it, it sounds like the transmission is slipping once it warms up. If it were bogging, then RPMS wouldn't be climbing, or they would be climbing slowly.

If it's truly bogging, then my money is going to be on an O2 sensor or the MAF.
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #6

1998 Mustang GT

It's manual. And definitely not the transmission cause it'll hesitate when I rev it up in neutral after its warmed up, only when I give it wot.
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #7

1998 Mustang GT

I also replaced the maf like 2 weeks ago not to mention it runs like shit without it so I'm pretty sure it's good. I'm gonna check my 02s sometime tomorrow when I get a chance I'll keep this updated. I'll probably post a video sometime today
Old June 17th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

1996 Mustang GT

BigSmith will become famous soon enoughBigSmith will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sammy8172 View Post
I also replaced the maf like 2 weeks ago not to mention it runs like shit without it so I'm pretty sure it's good. I'm gonna check my 02s sometime tomorrow when I get a chance I'll keep this updated. I'll probably post a video sometime today
Try running a can of sea foam in the tank. When i let my car sit for a winter it was sputtery like crazy. Had to make sure all the crap was run out of it. Fresh tank of 91 and half a can of sea foam in the tank did the trick. Cleaned it right out. Other than that try replacing the front 02's. Bad injectors? Pump could be all condensationy from sitting and it may be messed up. Lots of options here haha.

275rwhp/297rwtq

Old June 17th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #9

1998 Mustang GT

Yeah I've been pumping premium since I got it and I've gone through 2 cans of seafoam. I changed the fuel pump, and I've done the fuel filter twice since I got it a few weeks ago. I'm gonna check the o2 sensors but if that's not my issue I may just end up removing my injectors and send them off for a deep clean and hope that's my issue. Should the car be doing anything differently when I remove the iat sensor from the intake while it's on? Or the other sensor on the intake mani? It doesn't make any difference and I'm starting to think one of those sensors could be faulty somehow.
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #10
Regular

98REDGT is an unknown quantity at this point

Wires priobably need replaced.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.com App
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

1996 Mustang Gt
15.1@91.

cornfedgt has a spectacular aura aboutcornfedgt has a spectacular aura aboutcornfedgt has a spectacular aura about

wires and plugs
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #12

1998 Mustang GT

I already changed the wires and plugs. Any way my coil packs could be causing this?
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

1996 Mustang Gt
15.1@91.

cornfedgt has a spectacular aura aboutcornfedgt has a spectacular aura aboutcornfedgt has a spectacular aura about

Its possible

Sent from my LG-US670 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

CAI, pypes o/r x-pipe, Magnaflow Magnapack mufflers and 3.73s to come

4.6l 4v build coming soon
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #14

esxtreme is on a distinguished road

I have same problem after 30-45. 96 gt. Replaced everything also. Replacing o2s now. How to reset? O2s were only codes came up. Car gets to be barely driveable.

Sent from my LGL45C using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Got to go FASTER

1998 Mustang GT
11.8@120.73

wbacon8780 is on a distinguished road

Need to check all vacuum lines, especially the fuel pressure regulator. Start with basics. Matter of fact it being a 98 I would replace them all anyway.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #16
Banned

1989 Mustang GT

1989Gt. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1989Gt. Send a message via Skype™ to 1989Gt.

Have you replaced the coil packs mine would do this after replacing the coil packs with 100% known good ones it went away. But you should check fuel pressure as well.
[COLOR="red"][SIZE="5"]MM FOBRA CLUB MEMBER #1[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #17

My coils, iac, tps, all vac lines, o2, fuel filter, plugs, wires, PVC. Driving me crazy. Fuel pressure check next. But think o2s helped.

Last edited by esxtreme; June 30th, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #18

1998 Mustang GT

I ended up just removing my o2s and it helped alot. It'll actually move after its all warmed up to normal temp on wot. Just running extremely rich now..I'm replacing them both tomorrow. Planning on doing my coil packs too since mine are original, maybe another fuel filter change for me just cause the car was sitting for so long. That'd be my third one in 2 months lol..
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #19

O2 no help. After bout 60 miles, as long as its over 2k. Let off throttle a c#%t hair an car does not respond bogs.hope u find wat has yours.

Old June 30th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #20
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Pacific Green Cobra
13.4@103.73/ 2.06 60ft

p4ndiamond is a jewel in the roughp4ndiamond is a jewel in the roughp4ndiamond is a jewel in the roughp4ndiamond is a jewel in the rough

i would check the intake track mine is doing the same exact thing recently after i relocked my maf. goes wayyyy lean .
GT ENGINE (temporary) 4.30 Gears , 31 spline Moser axles , Detroit tru Trac diff, Pi intake Hitech stage 2 cam, Vortech V7-JT Alum drive shaft. Lowering kit x2 ball joints Koni DA, H&R Super race spring LCA "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-98/266577-98-gt-bogging-wot.html
Posted By For Type Date
Ford Mustang Forums - View Profile: 96redhotgt This thread Refback November 2nd, 2012 05:32 PM

Threads Similar to: 98 gt bogging on wot
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
still bogging snakebite8 4V / SVT 7 October 5th, 2009 12:46 AM
Bogging Down At Wot, Please Help bengt87 5.0 Mustangs 6 August 21st, 2008 08:26 AM
Bogging down 94stangGT50 5.0 Mustangs 8 April 14th, 2008 11:40 AM
My Car Is Still Bogging Out 98 gt 96 - 98 4 November 15th, 2006 02:01 PM
Car Is Bogging Out 98 gt 96 - 98 5 November 12th, 2006 09:07 AM