Crank Balancer Options 1998 GT
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Layin low, sippin' slow..

1998 Mustang GT Vert

Tequilla is on a distinguished road

Crank Balancer Options 1998 GT

A while back my crank balancer separated so I replaced it with one from Auto Zone. Now I'm leaking a little from the seal so I need to pull it apart and replace the seal. Since I need to pull it apart I was thinking about upgrading the balancer. I checked Summit Racing and they have a few that are reasonably priced but I noticed they have different diameters available. I didn't measure mine but they offer 6.610" and 6.870" diameters. I assume the bigger diameter will slow the accessories down just a little? I have a '98 GT with 4:10 gears, a Bama tune, exhaust and a C.A.I and my only future mods will be a P.I. head swap. I assume with only these mods a stock type balancer would be fine but I wondered if there were any opinions out there if it's worth changing it or not. I did do a search but didn't find what I was looking for......... Thanks!

Layin low......sipping slow
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Regular

4vGts is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if your gonna do the pulley do the march hydroboost crank pulley part # 1158
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

97 Mustang Cobra

xandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to behold

You could opt for the Steeda underdrive pulley set
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #4
a.k.a. Racecougar

2004 Mustang GT

Tang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
I assume the bigger diameter will slow the accessories down just a little?
A smaller diameter dampener will slow (underdrive) the accessories. A larger diameter dampener would speed up (overdrive) the accessories. The stock diameter should be 6.75". Typical underdrive dampeners for these engines are right around 5".

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
1990 Mercury Cougar XR7-The Meth Addict-5.0L DOHC Stroker w/2.1L KB SC.
1995 Ford F150-Mud Toy-5.0L, 4x4, 33's, & Warn 8274 Winch
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #5

1998 Mustang GT Vert

I found the Marc #1158 at Summit Racing for $124.... Very reasonable. They don't list the diameter...... Is it stock, smaller or larger?

Old April 18th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6
a.k.a. Racecougar

2004 Mustang GT

Tang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant future

IIRC, the March #1158 is a 5" diameter dampener.

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Hooo Ha Ha

1997 Mustang GT
10.11 @ 138 MPH

sharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to sharkbait

For the money a balancer would cost your going to get better performance by placing that money elsewhere in the car.

560rwhp 640rwtq @ 13psi
75mm Turbo 5.4 swap E85
#turbo2v

10.11 @ 138mph STOCK LONGBLOCK

www.JPCracing.com 410-729-0005 ext. 11

PM me if you need any parts or advice!
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #8

1998 Mustang GT Vert

Originally Posted by Tang Stang View Post
IIRC, the March #1158 is a 5" diameter dampener.
Will a 5" dampener use the stock belt or do you need a smaller one?

Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
For the money a balancer would cost your going to get better performance by placing that money elsewhere in the car.
Would a Trick Flow Plenum be worth more power than the dampener? They are close to the same price........

Old April 19th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #9
a.k.a. Racecougar

2004 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
Will a 5" dampener use the stock belt or do you need a smaller one?
You'll need a shorter belt.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Wiser by the Minute

1996 GT - Built
Street Car

aluv4speed will become famous soon enough

If you plan on going FI anytime soon as in a Centri blower or twin screw then don't get an underdrive pulley!

Save yourself the time. I would actually get a bigger one if I was going FI like a 7.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.