Please Help With Belt Tensioner Asap!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Regular

militant54 is on a distinguished road

Please Help With Belt Tensioner Asap!

Hey guys, my mechanic told me the pulley on my belt tensioner is causing me the noise problems problems. I loosened the tensioner to get the belt off, but now can't get the dang tensioner off. All I got was the pulley because he said the bearings were bad in the stock one, so I just need to change the pulley out. Any suggestions? Google isn't helping! I loosened the bolts, but it ain't moving!
thanks!
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

ujslost has a spectacular aura aboutujslost has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to ujslost

so your taking the pulley off of the belt tensioner? Once you get that bolt out it should slide right off. if not then take the belt tensioner off and try beating the pulley off with a hammer
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Regular

I can't even get the belt tensioner off! I couldn't wrench it out even after taking out the 2 bolts, maybe I missed one? And I don't see a bolt for the pulley, on the front is looks like it's locked on there with a rivet or something like that. Tough to tell as it was getting dark last night, will try again tonight I guess.
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #4
MM Fanatic

there are 3 bolts that hold the tensioner on, 1 at 1oclock, 1 at 3 oclock , and 1 at about 7 oclock. let me know if that helps
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Regular

Oh yeah, I meant to say 3. The third one (I think at 1:00) was a different size, correct? If there are 3 of the same size, then somehow I'm missing one.
Old October 20th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #6
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Triple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant future

the bolt that holds on the tensioner pulley has left handed threads
try turning the wrench the other way
Old October 21st, 2007, 07:28 PM   #7
Regular

Nope, they were all right handed threads, I got it done today. Replaced the pulley no problem, but the loud noise is still there! I'm gonna kill my mechanic! (and find a new one)
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM   #8
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Triple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant futureTriple A has a brilliant future

oh
haha, well mine has lefthanded threads
check your water pump and your idler pulley
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Regular

Mechanic already changed the steering pump and pulley, water pump pulley, and harmonic balancer...sure doesn't sound like the idler pulley, but it's so damn loud I can't tell where it's coming from! I think the idler pulley is the same size as the tensioner pulley, so I might swap my old tensioner pulley with the idler and see if that makes a difference.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM   #10
Regular

It sounds more like a ratcheting noise, if that helps. A sound like that couldn't be a bad belt, could it? Belt seems to be fine btw.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:02 PM   #11
MM Fanatic

Originally Posted by skatenc56
oh

It sounds more like a ratcheting noise, if that helps. A sound like that couldn't be a bad belt, could it? Belt seems to be fine btw.
throwout bearing?????
Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM   #12
Regular

Originally Posted by ujslost
Originally Posted by skatenc56
oh

throwout bearing?????
I don't think so....and I have an auto, isn't that in a clutch? (Pardon my ignorance!)

But yes, sure sounds like bad bearings on something...just don't have anything left! Hopefully it's the idler pulley, I think that's the same size as the tensioner pulley and I have an extra one of those to try out.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:51 PM   #13
MM Fanatic

Your not ignorant apparently! An auto doesnt have a throwout bearing, I didnt see anything about an auto trans so I was throwing the idea out there.
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #14
Regular

Well, after many new parts, it was the f'ing belt! I've never heard of a belt making that noise before, but now it's fixed! Thanks for the help!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Please Help With Belt Tensioner Asap!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stronger Tensioner? RyanGT 99 - 04 5 November 13th, 2007 10:12 PM
Belt tensioner? militant54 96 - 98 3 October 8th, 2007 12:16 PM
2V belt tensioner MATT02GT 99 - 04 1 July 26th, 2007 10:59 AM
Belt tensioner troy1000rr General Tech 2 March 17th, 2007 02:17 AM
Tensioner pulley for an 89 5.0 chadderkdawg 5.0 Mustangs 0 July 31st, 2006 04:41 PM