Modded Mustang Forums banner

7.3 Turbocharger

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  WickedSnake00 
#1 ·
Theres a power stoke diesel 7.3 turbo for sale in my area for dirt cheap. How would that perform on my 4.6

#2 ·
It's far from ideal. It's on the big side for a 4.6, and you're likely to experience a fair bit of lag.
HOWEVER if you're looking to just have some fun and not really care if the car is performing at it's optimum efficiency (Which, I mean, the stock shortblock is only good to about 450 bhp anyways) they can work. The guys over at Roadkill used that exact turbo on a chevy 4.3L V6 and got results they were happy with... until they blew the motor up.
Keep in mind though that no one is going to make a bolt up hot/cold side kit for this, so prepare to either do some fab work or pay someone to.

#4 ·
The 6.0 is going to perform marginally better but you still face the same issues the 7.3 charger does. I don't know the specs of the two to compare, however.

Come to think of to think of it, the 6.0 turbo might be the one that Roadkill used on their 4.3. I'd have to check to be sure.

#6 ·
OEM PSD Turbo specs, upgrade options, and user feedback - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Here are the Stock 6.0L PSD turbo specs:
Garrett GT3782V- 2003-2005 Ford 6.0L PSD
Compressor wheel Inducer: 58.00m 2.28in
Compressor wheel Exducer: 81.55mm 3.21in
Compressor housing A/R .58
Turbine wheel inducer diameter: 72.25mm 2.84in
Turbine wheel exducer diameter: 66.45mm 2.62in
Turbine housing A/R .9 A/R

Here are the Stock 7.3L PSD Turbo Specs:
STOCK GARRETT TP38 (on the 7.3)
Compressor wheel inducer diameter: 59.87 mm (60 mm)
Compressor wheel exducer diameter: 80 mm
Compressor housing A/R: 1.10
Turbine wheel inducer diameter: 76.2 mm
Turbine wheel exducer diameter: 69.84 mm (70 mm)
Turbine housing A/R: 1.15

It's certainly not going to choke your engine at high RPM with that A/R and turbine, but as with a lot of diesel turbos, that big turbine, big A/R, and small compressor means it's going to be pretty lazy down low and not make a lot of boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.