Carburetor For 4.6?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Regular

1997 Mustang Gt
13.76 @ 102.5mph

whtstang97 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Carburetor For 4.6?

I talked to a performance shop in my area and they were telling me that for 4.6L mustangs the best to make out performance and save money is to go carburetor? Would anyone have by any chance done this switch already? How much HP did you gain?. They said the Parts for the Intake manifold, carburetor, fuel pressure regulator, new fuel pump, and braided lines would be around 1500 w/out labor instead of the injectors, tuners, maf sensor, fuel pump, regulator, rails, tb, plenum for fuel injected? would you gain more hp on carb or fuel injected?
12.6 @ 108mph w/75shot
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

Racinjason81 is on a distinguished road

Is the shop willing to trade your EFI stuff for the carb stuff? if so it wouldnt be a bad idea,but if you got to give em 1500 bucks plus labor its not a good idea.

i dont think its really worth it since EFI is more efficient.If you are going for the cool factor of having a carb system on your 4.6 go for it. you are probably going to lose some torque in the process though.

VTEC stands for Very Torqueless Economy Car

Honda stands for Hold On Not Done Accelerating

1991 LX 5.0 H/B(T-70 turbo coming soon)
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

1BADSTANG is on a distinguished road

are you joking?
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #4
MM Fanatic

KB'd GT

Trick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to all

EFI >> Carbs.
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #5
Regular

1997 Mustang Gt
13.76 @ 102.5mph

but how much is it to tune and injectors and all the computer stuff?
12.6 @ 108mph w/75shot
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #6
MM Fanatic

ujslost has a spectacular aura aboutujslost has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to ujslost

How is EFI more efficient? Maybe as far as fuel mileage but I wouldn't say its better as far as HP and Torque.
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

why would anyone spend that much money to convert to a stupid inferior induction system. EFI is a much smarter system. Spend that money on if you dont have a full pi swap get that, or a driveshaft, Dont do carb. Efi is so much easier, carbs are fucking pains in the ass especially if your year round driving.
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #8
MM Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADSTANG View Post
why would anyone spend that much money to convert to a stupid inferior induction system. EFI is a much smarter system. Spend that money on if you dont have a full pi swap get that, or a driveshaft, Dont do carb. Efi is so much easier, carbs are fucking pains in the ass especially if your year round driving.
Well, that has got to be the most uneducated statement I have ever read on this site!
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #9
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
11.47@120.58

mdvaldosta will become famous soon enough

EFI - more expensive, can be tuned better than carb in any and every circumstance with the right equipment and experience.

Carb - cheaper, much easier to tune. Aside from cold / hot weather driveability it can get really close to what EFI can offer, though it would never - ever be as tuneable.

There's really good reasons to go with either. You shouldn't knock someone for going in either direction - to each their own. My suggestion is though, that unless you're buiding a 700hp+ monster and you want to drive the car on the street often, you'd be better off keeping it fuel injected. I saw a nice carb'd setup once, really envious of it but realistically it's much easier to just keep it EFI since you're already there.
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #10
MM Fanatic

KB'd GT

Trick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ujslost View Post
Well, that has got to be the most uneducated statement I have ever read on this site!
I disagree.

I think carb tuning is an art while EFI tuning is a science. If you go carbs, keep that screw driver handy! I hope you live in a warm area too!
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

Explain to me why you would take a perfectly good efi system and change it to a carbuerator when you can put those thousands into what will actually make the car fast. Mr. Educator
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trick Tuners View Post
I disagree.

I think carb tuning is an art while EFI tuning is a science. If you go carbs, keep that screw driver handy! I hope you live in a warm area too!
Right because if you tune it in 70 degree weather, the first 30-40 degree day your car isn't going to run correct.
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #13
MM Fanatic

I wouldnt change EFI to carb unless I were looking for huge power. I think larger power can be had easier with a carb. Thus the reason Nascar and other sanctions use carbs still ! And going from EFI to carb doesnt cost thousands of dollars. You will spend thousands just modifying the fuel and air induction on an efi. Then you have to have a tune for OBD II systems so there is another $500, and add nitrous or a supercharger and then need a dyno tune well there is more money. If you can adjust a carb, and can have a wideband o2 sensor and an adjustable FPR and gauge then you can tune your carb unlimited without an electronic tuner or a dyno.
Which is more user friendly and street friendly EFI for sure. But no I wouldnt take an EFI car and swap it to Carb unless I planned on making upwards 900hp.
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

I wouldnt change EFI to carb unless I were looking for huge power. I think larger power can be had easier with a carb. Thus the reason Nascar and other sanctions use carbs still ! And going from EFI to carb doesnt cost thousands of dollars. You will spend thousands just modifying the fuel and air induction on an efi. Then you have to have a tune for OBD II systems so there is another $500, and add nitrous or a supercharger and then need a dyno tune well there is more money. If you can adjust a carb, and can have a wideband o2 sensor and an adjustable FPR and gauge then you can tune your carb unlimited without an electronic tuner or a dyno.
Which is more user friendly and street friendly EFI for sure. But no I wouldnt take an EFI car and swap it to Carb unless I planned on making upwards 900hp.
Ok so good call on the most un-educated post on these forums, because he literally JUST posted it was going to cost 1500 WITHOUT LABOR.
Reading>you
Nice call!
Old April 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #15
MM Fanatic

And an aftermarket 4.6 intake both upper and lower, larger TB and mass air and then a CAI, a tune and larger injectors are gonna cost over $1500? So what is your point?
Old April 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #16
MM Fanatic

KB'd GT

Id say its probably safe to say that 99.999% of the high powered carb guys trailer their cars to the track and only care how it drives at WOT. If this is your goal, the carb will do just fine. Remember you will need a new fuel pump, and a return style system to go with a carb. This can run up to $1000 too. You can make gobs of power with EFI and still have a car with decent street manners. Simply switching from a properly tuned EFI setup to a properly tuned carb setup with no other changes will net 0 hp. Hopefully you never need to smog the car too because it wont pass. There is a reason that cabs and distributors are no longer used on new cars.
Old April 8th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trick Tuners View Post
Id say its probably safe to say that 99.999% of the high powered carb guys trailer their cars to the track and only care how it drives at WOT. If this is your goal, the carb will do just fine. Remember you will need a new fuel pump, and a return style system to go with a carb. This can run up to $1000 too. You can make gobs of power with EFI and still have a car with decent street manners. Simply switching from a properly tuned EFI setup to a properly tuned carb setup with no other changes will net 0 hp. Hopefully you never need to smog the car too because it wont pass. There is a reason that cabs and distributors are no longer used on new cars.

Right so why spend thousands on an inferior street induction system when you have a perfectly smart EFI system that does a great job
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #18
Regular

1997 Mustang Gt
13.76 @ 102.5mph

well first yes i do live in a hot area in south texas about 30 miles from mexico near south padre if anyone has spring breaked there. and well i finally got my mustang as my second driver because my brother finally bought a car and i have my old high school car back. i'm more than likely gonna just garage my stang as a weekend driver or full out race car. i was only thinking that to go all out the efi will cost 300 for injectors, 400 tuner, maf sensor for new injector 200, fuel pump 200, fuel regulator 150, lines 150. and well i know more about carberators and are more simpler to tune and most of my style is old school as far as distrubuted and carberator. i think i have to get a msd dis system but that would be still with the price for the $1500 there was a guy with this mod on their mustang here at our track and was running from 12.9s to 13.2s and wasn't modded much. the only thing is that its hard to find them money trees. thanks for all theinfo and i'll probably go with the carb but first do the pi swap. right now i have the cams and intake but when you swap to pi intake what was needed as far as gasket or silicone?
12.6 @ 108mph w/75shot
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #19
Banned

1965 Mustang Fastback

nba1341 will become famous soon enough

ive never had problems with my car going from 100 degree weather to 40 degree weather..........

[COLOR=red][B]slow car club - crew member 7 of 9

[COLOR=White]Mood: Cool :cool:
[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Carburetor For 4.6?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EFI to Carburetor...help timing armalpass96 5.0 Mustangs 4 February 5th, 2008 08:18 PM
1967 Mustang 390 carburetor markw6 Classic Mustangs 0 August 18th, 2007 01:33 PM
5.0 from EFI to Carburetor Zak 5.0 Mustangs 7 June 1st, 2006 01:27 PM
My Carburetor and Pump GTXRacing General Tech 28 April 27th, 2006 11:48 PM