Car won't start -Anti theft?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (9) Thread Tools
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:44 PM   9 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

1998 Mustang GT

apfu is on a distinguished road

Car won't start -Anti theft?

Tried to do a search and didn't come up with what I was looking for, so if I missed a thread that details the solution I'm sorry, point me in that direction and i"ll read up.

Car is a 1998 Mustang GT and it will not start. I've replaced the battery (it was dead, bad cell) I had the alternator and starter checked and they are both ok. I've looked over the grounds/fuses and they all look fine. Turn the key and the only thing that happens is the anti-theft light blinks slightly and there is a "ticking" sound coming from the rear driver's side quarter panel (anti theft system?). Car will not even try to turn over, its completely dead minus the anti-theft light and "ticking".

I'm not quite sure what else to check. Car is not a daily driver so I'm not in a rush to get it started, but would prefer to have a running car rather than a lawn ornament. I'm open to ideas.
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Enthusiast

1998 GT VERT 5 SPEED

Military98stang will become famous soon enough

hey man my 97 was in an accident and the same thing happened after they fixed it. They replaced the whole ignition system i believe once the theft system went off it disabled the ignition system. I think u need to reset the theft system. I am pretty sure about this but not 100 it was a while back when i had my old car before katrina took it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3068325
EAT ...... SLEEP .......LIFT........repeat!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Regular

2000 V-6

JMack is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a fuel pump cutoff switch in the rear of the car. It should (read as may) be behind the inner right rear fender lining (the stuff that covers the fuel filler neck). Pull that back, and there should be a little black box with a red or yellow recessed button in the top / side. Press that in, and you should have your fuel pump back to operating. It's a fail-safe to prevent the car from being stolen w/ the wrong key. It also trips if you are in a bad wreck.
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #4

1998 Mustang GT

Thanks guys.

To reset the theft system, is that a Dealer type fix? I'm really trying to avoid getting hosed by the dealer on this.

I've tried to reset the fuel cutoff switch and that did not help. I'm thinking it has to do with something in the anti theft cutting the power to the car and the ignition system. Would there be a way to bypass the anti-theft completely to check if that is what is causing the problems.
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #5
Regular

91 mustang lx coupe
way too slow

thatdavidkid is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thatdavidkid Send a message via Yahoo to thatdavidkid

Originally Posted by JMack View Post
There is a fuel pump cutoff switch in the rear of the car. It should (read as may) be behind the inner right rear fender lining (the stuff that covers the fuel filler neck). Pull that back, and there should be a little black box with a red or yellow recessed button in the top / side. Press that in, and you should have your fuel pump back to operating. It's a fail-safe to prevent the car from being stolen w/ the wrong key. It also trips if you are in a bad wreck.
that wouldn't keep it from cranking... and it has nothing to do with the car being stolen.... it's simply an inertia switch...
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Enthusiast

1998 GT VERT 5 SPEED

like i said when mine went off in my wreck they needed to switch out the ignition to a new one with a new kid and they reset that trunk switch also.

Old August 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

97GT & 97Snake & 00L
T.B.A

97mustanggt will become famous soon enough

does ur car need a chip to start....u knoww a little box under ur ur steering wheell where u put in a chip for the car to start?
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #8

1998 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by 97mustanggt View Post
does ur car need a chip to start....u knoww a little box under ur ur steering wheell where u put in a chip for the car to start?
Chip? Not that I know of. Prior to having this problem, just used the key and it fired up.

I know what you guys are talking about with the fuel cutoff. I reset the switch just to be sure but I don't think that is what is causing this problem. If that was the only problem, I think I would still have power for ther interior lights, radio, etc, and I think the car would want to crank (starter should still have power), but just wouldn't fire because it is not getting fuel. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm thinking it is something else.
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mach 1

Reloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Reloaded

Can you describe the problem a little more completely? I'm a little hazy on it. So you have no interior lights or anything? Or is everything normal, it just clicks when you try and start it. From when you get in to when you take the key out, describe what you do and what happens. Thanks.

MM Cobra Club #42
417 HP & 413 TQ (Old #s)
422 HP & 453 TQ (New #s)
492 HP & 502 TQ (with Posi and 2lb lower)
Originally Posted by BuRnIn_YoUrS View Post
Dude...it takes alot to make me gag...
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #10
Enthusiast

1988 Mustang GT
N/A

Modified88Dreamer will become famous soon enough

How long ago was this "new" battery replaced? You might be getting a draw somewhere meaning that the "new" battery is now dead again. Try jump starting it? If it was an anti-theft problem the light would be flashing rapidly. Sounds to me like that ticking noise is trying to draw power that the battery supplies it with but isn't getting what it wants.

Last edited by Modified88Dreamer; August 26th, 2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #11

1998 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by Reloaded View Post
Can you describe the problem a little more completely? I'm a little hazy on it. So you have no interior lights or anything? Or is everything normal, it just clicks when you try and start it. From when you get in to when you take the key out, describe what you do and what happens. Thanks.

Sure. Problem started when wife was driving the car. She drove it a couple miles to pick up the kids, and when she got back to the car it would not start. We tried jumping it, still won't start. Put it on the car trailer and got it back to the house. Pulled the battery, tested it and it was reading a bad cell. Purchased a new battery, put it on a charger to get a complete charge. reinstalled it in the car. Tried to start and still nothing, no interior lights, no radio, etc, just the anti-theft light blinking intermittently and a ticking noise from the rear quarter panel. Pulled the starter and alternator had them both tested and they came back fine. Rechecked all the wiring, checked the grounds, fuses, and nothing seems out of whack.

I'm not getting power to anything when I put the key in the ignition.

Ok, get in the car, put the key in the ignition, all accessories turned off, turn the key to start, nothing happens. The engine does not attempt to turn over, starter doesn't click, nothing. The anti theft light blinks intermittently, and the black box in the drivers rear quarter panel (keyless entry box?) makes a ticking sound similar to a turn signal left on. Leave the key in the on position without trying to start it and the anti-theft light in the dash will blink intermittently and still have the ticking sound coming from the box in the quarter panel.

I'm not really sure what else to try at this point and am looking for ideas.
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Enthusiast

1988 Mustang GT
N/A

Did she notice any CEL on? Might be a code in the PCM. Thats what I would try to do next.
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #13
Enthusiast

1998 GT VERT 5 SPEED

thats what mine was doing when i got everything else fixed and the anti theft light was on. the machanic fixed it by replacing i think the ignigtion because once the anti theft came on it shut down the car completly. You already reset the switch in the trunk you said but you need to reset the antitheft. Dont know if you can reset it with a comp from auto zone or not but it might be worth a try and if not you might just have to bring it to a dealer to have them reset it.

Old August 26th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #14

1998 Mustang GT

Didn't notice any CEL.

Thanks Military98stang. I was afraid it we be a "take it to the dealer" thing. I reset the fuel shut off switch, but as far as I can see there is not a switch for the anti-theft. So I imagine it needs to be reset by computer.
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #15
Enthusiast

1988 Mustang GT
N/A

Originally Posted by apfu View Post
Didn't notice any CEL.

Thanks Military98stang. I was afraid it we be a "take it to the dealer" thing. I reset the fuel shut off switch, but as far as I can see there is not a switch for the anti-theft. So I imagine it needs to be reset by computer.

Its amazing what thoses IDS/PDS computer things can do. I was messing around with the gauge needles by a push of a button and activated the washers on my Taurus when I had it lol Thought it was cool
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #16
Regular

91 mustang lx coupe
way too slow

thatdavidkid is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thatdavidkid Send a message via Yahoo to thatdavidkid

sounds like an ignition switch.... bad pcm wouldn't cause interior lights to go bad... either ignition switch or maybe some sort of main relay
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #17

jayfizz24 is on a distinguished road

had the same problem with the ticking and anti theft light. My problem was my battery completely died on my. New battery did the trick.
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

97GT & 97Snake & 00L
T.B.A

97mustanggt will become famous soon enough

quick question, can a bad throttle body cause starting problems?

97 Cobra & 00 Lightning
Beauty & The Beast

I rev next to hybrids so they can hear me kill the environment

MM Cobra Club Member #77
MM Lightning Club Founder
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #19
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2

1997 Saleen S281

97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 97mustanggt View Post
quick question, can a bad throttle body cause starting problems?

How is a throttle body "bad"?

Only if it doesn't open to allow any air into the motor, or not enough air.

MODS IN GARAGE

All SVO'D UP
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #20
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2

1997 Saleen S281

97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of

That clicking in the reasr drivers quarter panel is where the anti theft system is located. I would geuss the intermittent blinking is a flash code for the dealership. Sounds like your going to have to pull it in and get ready for the pain of the stealerships bill.

MODS IN GARAGE

All SVO'D UP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-98/86221-car-wont-start-anti-theft.html
Posted By For Type Date
Car does not start anti theft light flashing 02 taurus? This thread Refback October 12th, 2014 05:57 PM
Car won't start -Anti theft? This thread Refback December 24th, 2013 01:34 PM
What is 1998 MUSTANG WONT START? This thread Refback May 7th, 2013 08:11 AM
What is 1997 FORD MUSTANG ANTI THEFT SYSTEM? This thread Refback January 20th, 2013 06:42 PM
How to Reset the Chip in a Pixma 3600 | Forum This thread Refback September 4th, 2011 06:58 PM
00 windstar in cardiac arest - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners This thread Refback March 24th, 2011 12:02 AM
00 windstar in cardiac arest - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners This thread Refback October 7th, 2009 11:30 AM
COX.net for Hampton Roads - Search This thread Refback November 21st, 2008 07:53 PM
00 windstar in cardiac arest This thread Refback November 3rd, 2008 11:12 AM

Threads Similar to: Car won't start -Anti theft?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anti Theft System-Car Wont Start 03GT_Hybrid Modular Mustangs 12 May 29th, 2013 03:32 PM
Finished My Swap Now Theft Light's Flashing and She Wont Start 68 dlxcoupe 96 - 98 6 April 1st, 2008 09:36 PM
98 GT Won't Start... Theft Issue Maybe? Blue98GT Modular Mustangs 16 December 27th, 2007 03:44 PM
Active Anti-Theft oldernewbie 2005 - 2010 20 December 12th, 2007 02:58 PM
Battery fucked or anti-theft retarded? sorrowfulkiller 96 - 98 6 May 17th, 2007 04:34 PM