97 Rear Speaker Swap
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #1
Regular

1 lowwww mileage 97 GT
slow @ 88mph, doc.

JiMi_DRiX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JiMi_DRiX

97 Rear Speaker Swap

I'm still new to tearing apart the Mustang, I havent looked much at it, but I think I would be safer just to come here and ask. How do you remove the rear speakers? I bought a nice pair of Kenwoods to go with the new deck. Obviously the rear shelf cover has to be taken out, but I'm not sure where to even start!!

!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #2
Regular

1 lowwww mileage 97 GT
slow @ 88mph, doc.

bump?

!
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Regular

spdfrek is on a distinguished road

Are you using stock wiring or running fresh wires? You'll need to remove the deck cover to get to them, and the only way I could slide mine out was by taking the panels out above it, around the quarter windows. Had to take the rear head rest deal out too. It's tight under that rear window to get at the screws looked like. Since I'm stripping the entire interior again for a harness job to match the motor swap, it'll be easy for me.

Hopefully you don't have the mach 460 stuff, it'll be a bigger hassle.
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #4
Regular

1 lowwww mileage 97 GT
slow @ 88mph, doc.

Originally Posted by spdfrek View Post
Are you using stock wiring or running fresh wires? You'll need to remove the deck cover to get to them, and the only way I could slide mine out was by taking the panels out above it, around the quarter windows. Had to take the rear head rest deal out too. It's tight under that rear window to get at the screws looked like. Since I'm stripping the entire interior again for a harness job to match the motor swap, it'll be easy for me.

Hopefully you don't have the mach 460 stuff, it'll be a bigger hassle.
thank you for the response. I've been bummed that no one has said anything yet. I'm so anxious to get these speakers in. Front what I read, you have to take a lot of the rear quarter window trim out too. I dont even know how to get that big vinyl rear headrest deal out but mine is loose. I'm going to just use the stock wire for now since I might upgrade to a nice amp later anyway. and no, I dont have the mach460, the stereo was the only think left out of my GT, i had the good ol cassette player!

how do you get the rear headrest thing out? is it the 3 screws behind where the rear seat flips down?? I can probably get it from there. I can tear my Monte apart in no time, but this Mustang is all new to me!!

!
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Regular

spdfrek is on a distinguished road

The stock wiring you'll have to cut the plugs off and wire to your speakers, but should be pretty simple. The headrest is just three bolts behind the seat, pretty simple and easy. Then the rear deck cover is held in with the lil plastic push in deals. I have a tool for pulling those, does make it easier. Nothing is to complicated, just take your time, or you'll end up breaking something plastic
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Regular

1 lowwww mileage 97 GT
slow @ 88mph, doc.

thanks for the help. I'm surprised I didnt get responses from anyone else. I'd have thought changing out the stereo would be a pretty common thing. Hopefully I can get time to mess with it this weekend. These are the 6x8's that I bought, they are going to sound amazing!!
Kenwood - KFC-P680C

!
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #7
The Hammer

Millenium Falcon
"Lived the Dream, Created the Reality, Basking in my Awesomeness"

G.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JiMi_DRiX View Post
thanks for the help. I'm surprised I didnt get responses from anyone else. I'd have thought changing out the stereo would be a pretty common thing. Hopefully I can get time to mess with it this weekend. These are the 6x8's that I bought, they are going to sound amazing!!
Kenwood - KFC-P680C
the mach 460 speakers are pretty diesel and can keep up with aftermarket decks and sub/amp combos.... there nothing special, but for what they were when they were, it was still badass.

i personally have a convertible, and my speakers are in a much easier to get to location, so i really had nothing to say up until now.

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I would eat the peanuts out of her shit

Car Salesman Club - The Hammer
ModdedMustangs Conspiracy Group: President
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Regular

1 lowwww mileage 97 GT
slow @ 88mph, doc.

Originally Posted by 96GTRagTop View Post
the mach 460 speakers are pretty diesel and can keep up with aftermarket decks and sub/amp combos.... there nothing special, but for what they were when they were, it was still badass.

i personally have a convertible, and my speakers are in a much easier to get to location, so i really had nothing to say up until now.

My GT came with the CASSETTE player. So I didnt get the cool Mach stereo, otherwise I wouldnt mess with the speakers probably. But after the stereo that is in my Monte, the Mustang is just really weak sounding and the stock rear speakers HAVE to go. I think the fronts might be alright for a while.

!
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #9
The Hammer

Millenium Falcon
"Lived the Dream, Created the Reality, Basking in my Awesomeness"

G.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond reputeG.T. Rags has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JiMi_DRiX View Post
My GT came with the CASSETTE player. So I didnt get the cool Mach stereo, otherwise I wouldnt mess with the speakers probably. But after the stereo that is in my Monte, the Mustang is just really weak sounding and the stock rear speakers HAVE to go. I think the fronts might be alright for a while.
my mustang came with the same speaker components as well, but the original owner swapped everything out with a pretty decent pair of speakers. Matched with my deck and amp/sub combo it's pretty beastly.

my experiance with sn-95's is that they rattle like hell on the outside, but sound haflway decent on the in...

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I would eat the peanuts out of her shit

Car Salesman Club - The Hammer
ModdedMustangs Conspiracy Group: President
Old September 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Regular

1 lowwww mileage 97 GT
slow @ 88mph, doc.

That ended up being the easiest job ever. Why people said you had to "take half your interior out" I'll never know. I read that other places online..
I just need to find that amp I have laying around and get it hooked up to the rear speakers. the front two sound pretty damn good, and they're still stock!

!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM   #11
One Man Wolf Pack

2006 Mustang GT
13ish....maybe

06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT

You replaced the stock rears but not the front?

What I would have done is bought a nice pair of speakers for the front. The rear speakers are just filler sound. Most of what you hear is coming front the front speakers so you are better off saving money on the rears and spending more money on fronts because that is where most of the sound you hear comes from.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Mustang GT
Faster than an s4

ModMustang97GT has a spectacular aura aboutModMustang97GT has a spectacular aura aboutModMustang97GT has a spectacular aura about

The detail is from the fron't speakers. But the rear is where all your bass and power comes from. That kick you in the ass power is from the back of the car. The high pitch is from the fron't and the mid range is shared between the front and back. If he wants better full range sound, the back will give the most bang for your buck. If he wants more clean sound, the fronts and back need to be changed, after the deck ofcourse, since the speakers can only be as clean as the signal they are given.
H&R Race Springs/Bilstein Shocks
MAC CAI, LT's, Catted H and Pro-Dumps
KB Boost-a-Spark
04' PI Motor
Author of The Official Suspension Guide
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:40 PM   #13
Regular

1 lowwww mileage 97 GT
slow @ 88mph, doc.

I replaced the rears, and I usually have my fade set to the rear a little bit anyway. After I install the amp for the new rear speakers, the sound will be just fine for me. the speakers I got also have tweeters, so the sound is very clear. I miss the low end, kick you in the face sound from my other car. I changed the deck a few weeks ago. Apline ida-x100 or whatever the model # is. It's the iPod deck.

!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 97 Rear Speaker Swap
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which one is easier??a rear end swap or engine swap? Bies08 V6 Mustangs 42 May 11th, 2010 04:33 PM
Rear Speaker Wires? Heik 99 - 04 12 August 18th, 2008 03:47 PM
2001 gt mach stock rear speaker encloser gwilkrrs Audio/Video 1 June 6th, 2008 01:49 PM
Rear Speaker Install truemustang Audio/Video 5 July 23rd, 2007 06:11 PM
Rear Deck Speaker Install King Mustang V6 Mustangs 8 November 13th, 2006 05:02 AM