Airbag Light
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #1

UncleRap is on a distinguished road

Airbag Light

Air bag light flashes several times then stays lit. This started about 2 months ago. OBD codes all clean, anybody got any experience on corrections? Thanks.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #2
booooost'd

2014 5.0 Brembo M6
1/4 Mile? Cones Baby!

Jucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to behold

Mine does the exact same thing. I have been wondering the same thing if anybody knows.

1988 LX Hatch 5.0 - SOLD!
2007 Vortech GT - SOLD!
2009 Procharged GT - SOLD!
2014 Oxford White 5.0 Brembo M6
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Enthusiast

2006 Mustang 4.0

06dkkiser is on a distinguished road

mine does the same thing, but i punched my steering wheel really hard when i was mad... thats when it started loll....
Your woman is the one who allowed the other man's penis to repeatedly cram her juice box, over, and over, and over, furiously pounding her muff until her soft tender folds orgasm all over his ever thrusting, pounding, baseball bat of love.
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Boomer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Boomer Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Probably knocked the wires off the air bag, very simple fix.
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5
booooost'd

2014 5.0 Brembo M6
1/4 Mile? Cones Baby!

Jucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to behold

along with my airbag light coming on, my horn also doesn't work.

2007 Vortech GT - SOLD!
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #6

Ccash00 is on a distinguished road

The flashing when you turn your key on is a code se what it is and look it up it will be like 2 3 or 4 flashes then a longer pause then more flashes that is the code
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #7
Regular

mu5t4ng is on a distinguished road

take it in, bets bet id say is you jsut need a new airbag. they need to replaced sometimes

yopur horn. uhh... put her on a lift and the horn is kinda near your oil filter . maybe its br0ke
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

Casper98GT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Casper98GT Send a message via Yahoo to Casper98GT

If the light is flashing, then you have a code in the system. You cant just bring it to Auto zone and ask for a check. Because thats for engine and evap codes only. They cant check air bag codes, because its illegal. You need to bring it to a local garage or a dealership.

Juco... if youre horn doesnt work and youre air bag flashes, im gonna guess youre cruise control is inop as well? Chances are youre clockspring is broken and it needs a new one. You could also very well have a inop horn pad, which is incorporated into the air bag.

What you all need to do is get at least a code, if not a diagnosis.
2009 Toyota Camry SE DD

Ex:Toyota/Ford tech
Marine Machinery Technician, Department of Defense.

Old December 20th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #9
booooost'd

2014 5.0 Brembo M6
1/4 Mile? Cones Baby!

my cruise control still works.

2007 Vortech GT - SOLD!
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

Casper98GT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Casper98GT Send a message via Yahoo to Casper98GT

its probably youre horn pad/air bag assembly then
2009 Toyota Camry SE DD

Ex:Toyota/Ford tech
Marine Machinery Technician, Department of Defense.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:28 AM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

Fryrice will become famous soon enoughFryrice will become famous soon enough

Horn not working and air bag light flashing generally means a problem with the CLOCK SPRING. Its behind the air bag. I agree with Casper.

You can replace it yourself and see if that fixes it. About $90 ,and you can borrow a steering wheel puller from Advanced Auto. .Save yourself the money from a dealership having to do a potential diagnostic. If it doesnt fix it,put the old one back in then take it in.

Boomer,you cant just "knock the wires" off the airbag. They are plugs that sit away from the airbag assembly.

Uncle Rap.If you decide to do it yourself,I can give you a link that I wrote up on how to do it.
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #12

UncleRap is on a distinguished road

FryRice, pls post the link, I'm gonna attempt it myself. thx. UncRap
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

Fryrice will become famous soon enoughFryrice will become famous soon enough

Here it is so everyone can see. In some places ,I may not have used the best choice of words. So if you got any questions,post them here or PM me. Its easy to do,just BE PATIENT.

First put your wheels and steering wheel ,in a straight position .Then disconnect your battery,and allow a few minutes for your airbags to discharge any energy the MAY have in them .There are 2 screws on the side of the steering column .1 on each side under the little rounds tabs that cover them . They are hex head ,so you will need a small socket. Removes those ,and take the airbag off .Be careful not to jolt the airbag,and hold it facing away from you .Its not likely it will go off,but it has happened on rare occasion's before

After that is removed,you will see a couple plugs.The black one is for you cruise control I think. Disconnect and the yellow one . You will see a bolt in the center of the steering wheel. You will need a Torq 50 bit for that . If you dont have one,Sears has some nice sets with different sizes. My advice is get a new bolt before you remove that one.You not supposed to re-use these .The dealership got me a new one. When your ready remove that center bolt.

I used a borrowed wheel puller from Advance Auto for a $20 deposit. Its pretty decent .Before you take the wheel off though make sure its locked ,so its doesnt spin all around ,possibly damaging the new clock spring. Also ,take a permanent marker and make a mark on the center of the hole where the bolt was,and on one the steering wheel. This is a "relation" mark,so you know how to put the wheel back on.
Ill tell you how to use the puller,assuming you get the one from Advanced , They all should be the same though. Make sure your wheels,and sterring wheel are in the straight position.

Ok. Thread the large bolt through the center of the puller piece (the bar looking thing with the hole in the middle ,and slots on each side). You will have to play with it a bit ,to get the right amount of threading. In the kit is a round tip that they tell you to put onto the big center bolt. I found that this tip actually made it impossible to pull the wheel. Because its bigger than the center hole .So dont use it . Just use the tip of the big bolt itself.

You will notice on the bracket in the center of the wheel,that there are 2 holes that have threads in them .Theres in one kinda to the top right ,and one to the left if I remember correct. Select the 2 correct screws from the puller kit,and screw 1 in first by hand tightening. .Just one .Then take the center bolt ,and puller bar,and slide in onto the screw you screwed in. Then take the other screw ,and thread it though the puller bar,and into the other wheel hole.

You will need a socket to tighten the big center bolt ,I dont remember what size .But I think its on a 3/4 socket wrench .So find the right size. You will notice that the puller kit is probaly loose,so you need to tighten the big center bolt into the hole into the center of the wheel where the Torq bolt was that you removed. Keep tightening until the big center bolt is tight onto the center hole ,and keep tightening until the wheel starts to move.

The object is to tighten the big center bolt DOWN into the center wheel hole,while the 2 screws pull UP on the wheel. It may seems hard at first,but keep doing it and wiggle the wheel some. Eventually it will pull off.

So with the wheel removed, ,you will need to remove the top and bottom column covers. The bottom cover has about 4 phillips head screws connecting it to the top cover. Just take these off,and be careful not to break the cheap plastic removing them . You have to take these off so you can get to the back of the clock spring and so you can remove the ignition lock.

After the cover are removed,trace the wires from the clock spring to underneath the dash and disconnect them .Its kinda a PITA . Then you will need to remove the ignition lock. Put the key in and turn it to the RUN position. At the bottom of the ignition lock,you will see a small hole with a ball in it .Use a sharp/strong object to push up on the ball,and pull the ignition lock out at the same time.

Next,unplug the little clip that is in the hole where the ignition lock was. Its part of the clock spring actually.

There are 3 tabs on the back of the clock spring holding it in place. Unclip those ,and the clock spring will come off with some pulling.. Be sure all your wires from the clock spring are undone and pulled from under the dash before trying to pull it out. Then put the new one on .Its just the reverse of the removal .Just dont let your wheel spin around a lot or you can damage the clock spring.

Well,I think that just about covers it . If you get stumped or have a question PM me ,or post it here.

Be sure to test everything before you put your covers back on. Just incase its not your clock spring.

And also,connect your positive battery cable first when you reconnect it. Its for the airbag .
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Airbag Light
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airbag light lwhitetrash88l V6 Mustangs 4 April 2nd, 2007 11:20 PM
Airbag light flashing Ritchie58 94-95 3 March 29th, 2007 08:54 PM
Airbag Light lwhitetrash88l V6 Mustangs 2 March 25th, 2007 06:47 PM
airbag light on.. jat 2005 - 2010 3 March 5th, 2007 01:30 AM
Airbag Light djcook 5.0 Mustangs 4 January 3rd, 2007 02:48 PM