Modded Mustang Forums banner

03 gt with ABS light on

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Jazzer The Cat 
#1 ·
Ok a while back my mustang got curbed. Snapped Right side axle off. I went and bought 31 spline axles, FRPP LSD, 373 gears and had them installed. My car only has 42k on the speedometer. Now my ABS Light is on. Do I just need to reset the computer? Or when they installed the axles something happened to the ABS? Or did it happen when it got curbed? I'm not even sure its a big deal. Any info please would be nice.

#2 ·
Wheel speed sensor could be defective...

#4 ·
Could it be because they installed the 373s and didnt fix the speedometer to match? would that throw it off? Just by what you just said that could make sense. Wheel speed sensor is thinks it could be sensing the stock gears instead of the 373s. Right.

#5 ·
It came on After the incident.

#7 ·
Definitely check the Wheel Speed Sensor

#8 ·
I installed 373 gears and havent got the speedometer calibrated to match the gears. Would that cause the ABS light.

#9 ·
it may, my girls car has not had the speedo gear put in yet either, and the abs light is on, the gears were already in when i bought the car so i dont know if the light came on afterwards or not, wish i did know though haha

#10 ·
You have one of several different things going on here.

1. The ABS cable was likely damaged in the accident. This is a 1/4" or so rubber coated line that connects up near the 5" gear behind the wheel around the axle. Confirm this cable is intact and connected.

2. The link XectriK pointed out is an issue of differing rotational speeds due to 295/45/18" installed on the rear while 245/40/18" are installed up front. This will cause a HUGE difference in rotational speed and the ABS will pick that up. The ABS measures and compares the speed of each independent wheel to confirm you are not skidding or spinning the wheels. It will de-tune your accelerator or pulse your brakes to compensate. That is the quick explanation, so you can do some better research for a clearer answer.

3. The Gears will not cause the ABS to be an issue, as this will just throw the speedo in to a little hissy-fit. This can be easily corrected, along with a change in rear tire diameter, via hand-held tuner connectected to port under the drivers side dash.

4. Confirm the axles you purchased were compatable with the ones you removed. Could be the ABS gear is located in a slightly different location or different design.

I don't know alot about ABS, but it is a "nanny" system..... I HATE nannys on my ride! :mad:

Jazzer on his soapbox again :)

#11 ·
#12 ·
did they put the abs rings back on it? My abs lights on cause i got tc turned off with the tune. stops perfect.

I would think they may not have pressed the abs rings onto the new axles

#13 ·
Thats what I'm thinking they might not have done. Is it easy to press in? Only reason i didnt do them myself is because

1. I'm in Japan
2. Didnt know how to calculate the clearences for the new gears.

#14 ·
I believe they are as long as the axle is ready to accept them. Some of the axles you have to mill out some of the backside to accept the abs rings. But they are extremly delicate

#15 ·
I come back to the states in 52 days so i guess i'll see.

#16 ·
Well had the computer ran at autozone and it says its the abs sensor. Also my damn Check engine light cam on. 1 and 5 cylinders are miss firing now!!! WTF!!!?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.