x2 ball joint install
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:18 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT

PowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nice

x2 ball joint install

These ball joints are giving me nothing but hell. and im nervous to drive my car now. the passenger side is on fine. But the driver side popped out. and all the grease oozed onto the base of the ball joint. and I couldn't get the brake off of the ball joint stud so i had to re install the ball joints with the brake hooked to it. it was a bitch. But then i hammered the bottom of the balljoint back in and it just slid right in. My question is when i put the car back on the ground is it going to popout again since it is kinda slippery in there. The brakes are connected to the stud and the strut on the brakes. Should of taken a picture but didnt think to. sorry.

Hopfully you guys know what im talking about.

But do you guys think i'll be fine. i dont really see how it could pop out since everything is connected and holding it together but just seeing what you guys think. because i cant get the brake off of the stud of the ball joint.

UltraBook for Sale: Lenovo Yoga 13
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ml#post6970474
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2

1997 Saleen S281

97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of97S281 has much to be proud of

brakes are not connected to the ball joints. wtf are you talking about man? you should press your ball joints in, not hammer them. you can get a decent press tool from harbour freight for 30 bucks or so.

also, did you add the spacer?

MODS IN GARAGE

All SVO'D UP
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #3
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT

PowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nice

like this...http://lh4.ggpht.com/_YSPAACzy8DI/SH...pk/s800/S4.jpg

i just explained it weird.

thats not my car though... just picture of a s197 but same thing.

Last edited by PowerShiftz02GT; April 25th, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT

See in yellow is where the brake goes over the Balljoint stud. it is stuck. i cant get it off. Even with the impact guns.

and then in yellow is where the base of the balljoint is and it is covered in the grease you fill the balljoint up with. But the balljoint is in the little hole of the A arm perfectly. So do you guys think it can slide out? the ball joint just slid into place when i re installed it. so i feel it might be able to slide out. but if everything is hooked up it shouldn't slide out. what do you guys think?

yes i added the spacer. I put it on top of the spring.

*edit*

Last edited by PowerShiftz02GT; April 25th, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

neverfastenough1 has a spectacular aura aboutneverfastenough1 has a spectacular aura about

The spindle is being pushed up by the wheel and the arm is being pushed down by the spring. Unless your shock comes loose and you get airborne, you should be fine.
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 Mustang GT

quiksilver225 is on a distinguished road

who the hell told you it was ok to use a hammer?! anyway, get ur hands on a press kit. press them in. however it is possible that ur A arms are wornwhere the balljoints go in so u might need a set of control arms. id say to get the MM tubulars if thats the case. But good god man, DO NOT drive that thing till u have them properly pressed in. if u dont have the tools and cant borrow them remove the A arms and take them to a shop where they can just press them in for you. Also, ur gonna have to either cut off the bottom half of ur brake dust shield or remove it entirely. i cut mine and got some EBC low dust pads. And as far as the grease oozing out id be willing to bet that u just put too much in. the rubber skirt should not bulg from the grease. put grease in right up until you start to see that skirt swell then stop. you shouldnt over grease them or else it'll just squeeze out like it is. and get synthetic grease(the good stuff).
BBK CAI, March UDPs, Eibach Sportline Springs, MM C/C plates, Koni Yellows, Centerforce DF clutch, FRPP Billet Flywheel, B&M Pro-Ripper Shifter, BBK ceramic LTs, BBK catted X-Pipe, SLP LM1, EBC rotors, 4.10 FRPP gears

5.4 4V coming soon

Last edited by quiksilver225; April 26th, 2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #7
June 2010 ROTM

Serlin is just really niceSerlin is just really niceSerlin is just really niceSerlin is just really nice

Thats not something I would fool with.
I have the X2's and bump steer kit as well...
Take your car to a shop and make sure its done properly.
My Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Msirlin
My Garage page: http://www.mitchsirlin.com/mustang/index.htm

Old April 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #8
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT

First i started putting them in with a jack stand and a wood block because the ballpoint presses we had didn't fit on the x2's. then i hammered it in very lightly around the edges. Just kinda tapped it and it just slid right in. i didnt dent them or anything.

ill have the suspension tech at work make sure i did everything right.

Old January 17th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #9
UPR

1993 Cobra SVT
10.90 @ 128

Racerbox77 is on a distinguished road

Old thread that doesn't seem like it got answered.
I had a very similar experience a couple years ago when I did the 03 Cobra brake upgrade to my 93.
I put standard 95 ball joints in my stock a arms and they went in without a press. They weren't so loose that they would fall out but light tapping got them in. My car was like that for 2 summers without any issues. The factory a arms holes are most likely just worn.

Sent from me
Soon to be supplying MM with UPR parts at stupid prices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/120885-x2-ball-joint-install.html
Posted By For Type Date
Everything about ball joint - Yahoo! Glue This thread Refback May 2nd, 2009 08:47 PM

Threads Similar to: x2 ball joint install
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I think I have a bad ball joint.. RAGEman 99 - 04 5 February 25th, 2009 11:11 AM
ball joint probels zmaier 96 - 98 1 September 1st, 2008 01:18 PM
Ball Joint repair. sixxxshoooter V6 Mustangs 14 July 28th, 2008 11:15 AM
lower ball joint theodoor24 Classic Mustangs 5 April 26th, 2008 07:19 PM
lower ball joint 2003_GT General Tech 3 April 8th, 2008 11:03 PM