Throw out bearing. - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much

Throw out bearing.

I know that further down on this page is another throw out bearing question, but i dont want to thread jack, plus my question is slightly different then his.

When i built my motor i put the spec flywheel and spec stage 1 clutch (should have gone with stage 2, but 1 is doing just fine with grip, doesnt slip or anything.) but with in 500 miles it started clattering really bad. its to the point where its annoying the hell out of me.

Can you replace your throw out bearing with out pulling the entire clutch system? my clutch only has 5,000 mile on it or so. im sure you guys will say pull it and put a ram or atleast a stage 2 in it. but due to the new born baby and new house funds are limited and this clutch functions fine. its just the throw out thats messing up.

What are the options now?

MM + Cleavage member #22

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SteviGX
did you use the spec TOB in ????

If there is one thing i have learned here...never use an aftermarket TOB

Mineral Gray Club Member #2

Just your average 22 year old dumbass

If you didn't build your car, and your bragging about it, STFU
post #3 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much

yea i used the bearing that came in the kit. it sounds like that was a mistake on my behalf. Can i just replace that peice or do i have to put a new clutch in it?

MM + Cleavage member #22

post #4 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
KCCO

Send a message via AIM to GTsetGO Send a message via MSN to GTsetGO Send a message via Yahoo to GTsetGO
replace it with an OEM TOB.

the one that spec or any other clutch company provides is garbage

2008 Acura TL-S - 2008 Honda Pilot EX-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I can't believe I missed all the black dick
post #5 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM

On my DSM it didn't matter if i used an OEM or Spec TOB, it always rattled when i had a SPEC clutch in there Hopefully it's different for mustangs
post #6 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Spec is very hit or miss. You either get a piece of garbage or a great clutch from them. There is no consistency in the quality of their stuff. You will hear from some who love Spec and you will hear from others who hate spec. With the stage one its pretty common to hate the Spec clutch kits. They just dont get it done. Regardless always use a Ford tob. the aftermarket guys try to slim the bearing up and use light weight stuff to try to save weight, but by doing so the bearing just dont hold up as well. The Ford ones are big, beefy, clunky, and last forever. They are "built Ford tough."

If you need to save money grab a new bearing and run that clutch into the ground. when it comes time for a new one look toward something more reliable like centerforce. Your only saving money if what you buy has the same lifespan as the expensive parts. Spec stage 1 does not last like a centerforce dual friction will.

BBK CAI, March UDPs, Eibach Sportline Springs, MM C/C plates, Koni Yellows, Centerforce DF clutch, FRPP Billet Flywheel, B&M Pro-Ripper Shifter, BBK ceramic LTs, BBK catted X-Pipe, SLP LM1, EBC rotors, 4.10 FRPP gears

5.4 4V coming soon
post #7 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

replacing your clutch? look no further.

BBK CAI, March UDPs, Eibach Sportline Springs, MM C/C plates, Koni Yellows, Centerforce DF clutch, FRPP Billet Flywheel, B&M Pro-Ripper Shifter, BBK ceramic LTs, BBK catted X-Pipe, SLP LM1, EBC rotors, 4.10 FRPP gears

5.4 4V coming soon
post #8 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM
mm's nitrous mod

most problem with people and spec is that people dont know how to break them in. the spec clutches dont like to be baby'd to be broke in, they like to have a fairly aggressive break in. spec's quality is great, it is consistent, nothing wrong with them at all.

project warhorse under construction
wagon burner built! track times coming soon!(04 lightning)

being built by MP2 Performance
follow shop builds on facebook at: MP2 Performance
post #9 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

...And I'm gonna say the exact opposite of sweet2kstang. I hate spec with a passion. I wasted $300 some odd dollars on their bullshit quality parts. It's not your TOB, it's your clutch. The clutch is garbage. To replace the TOB, you have to drop the transmission again.

Also, I'm using the RAM TOB in my car. I didn't have the money for the Ford TOB at the time. 18,000 miles later and not a single problem.
post #10 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post
...And I'm gonna say the exact opposite of sweet2kstang. I hate spec with a passion. I wasted $300 some odd dollars on their bullshit quality parts. It's not your TOB, it's your clutch. The clutch is garbage. To replace the TOB, you have to drop the transmission again.

Also, I'm using the RAM TOB in my car. I didn't have the money for the Ford TOB at the time. 18,000 miles later and not a single problem.
i havent heard anything bad about the ram bearings either, but i still wouldnt wanna take the chance. my centerforce bearing is garbage. the clutch is great, just a poopy bearing.

5.4 4V coming soon
post #11 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 11:09 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Fine I'll say it. The RAM bearing is garbage too..... Just replaced my clutch 2 months (ish) ago and my TOB is already whining again.

Love the clutch though, its great. Just wish I went with the OEM as stated above.

Vote for Reps!

Quote:
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you make it through the wall.
post #12 of 20 Old October 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM

Guess I must have hit it right then? I dunno. I did my clutch according to Ford's spec by their Workshop manual. I even used the grease they recommended...
post #13 of 20 Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:12 AM
mm's nitrous mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post

i love spec clutches i would recommend them to anyone. i thought you were one of the centerforce nutswingers. i havent heard much of anything out of ram, but what i have heard have been decent reveiws.

post #14 of 20 Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc02GT
Guess I must have hit it right then? I dunno. I did my clutch according to Ford's spec by their Workshop manual. I even used the grease they recommended...
Yeah I did on mine to. It's just hit and miss as stated above. It's just a love of work if you "miss" to try and replace it again shortly thereafter. That's why I recommended getting an OEM.

Vote for Reps!

Quote:
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you make it through the wall.
post #15 of 20 Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
~C~
~C~, The Other White Meat!

Send a message via AIM to ~C~
Everyone loves and hates everything............

Except for Centerforce. Love mine. No problems with it all.

BLOWN Bumblebeast!
370 rwhp / 381 ft lbs
~Tuned by JJ at WMS

"Like the blind man says......We shall see...."
post #16 of 20 Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
mm's nitrous mod

^read post 13

post #17 of 20 Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by empyrials View Post
On my DSM it didn't matter if i used an OEM or Spec TOB, it always rattled when i had a SPEC clutch in there Hopefully it's different for mustangs
Dude that's Japan they do stuff all different lol

Fuck It
post #18 of 20 Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
April 2012 ROTM

Send a message via AIM to wishIhada5.0
FRPP is a nice heavy TOB...I like my centerforce alot...I dont however like the flywheel that I left unadressed when I changed the clutch lol so the tranny is on the floor...again lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stang 3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	24748  

True blue crew founder/member #1 Newest Project: 2010 Ram 2500 Cummins G56 RCLB Rollin' Coal Crew Founder
post #19 of 20 Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

You didn't get it turned? ......

Vote for Reps!

Quote:
post #20 of 20 Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM

You're supposed to get the flywheel resurfaced dude...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page