Throw out bearing.
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much

2005 Mustang GT

Dolbs4082 is just really niceDolbs4082 is just really niceDolbs4082 is just really niceDolbs4082 is just really niceDolbs4082 is just really nice

Throw out bearing.

I know that further down on this page is another throw out bearing question, but i dont want to thread jack, plus my question is slightly different then his.

When i built my motor i put the spec flywheel and spec stage 1 clutch (should have gone with stage 2, but 1 is doing just fine with grip, doesnt slip or anything.) but with in 500 miles it started clattering really bad. its to the point where its annoying the hell out of me.

Can you replace your throw out bearing with out pulling the entire clutch system? my clutch only has 5,000 mile on it or so. im sure you guys will say pull it and put a ram or atleast a stage 2 in it. but due to the new born baby and new house funds are limited and this clutch functions fine. its just the throw out thats messing up.

What are the options now?
MM + Cleavage member #22

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT
13.538@101.72 before cams&slicks&gears

SteviGX will become famous soon enoughSteviGX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SteviGX

did you use the spec TOB in ????

If there is one thing i have learned here...never use an aftermarket TOB

Mineral Gray Club Member #2

Just your average 22 year old dumbass

If you didn't build your car, and your bragging about it, STFU
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM   #3
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much

2005 Mustang GT

Dolbs4082 is just really niceDolbs4082 is just really niceDolbs4082 is just really niceDolbs4082 is just really niceDolbs4082 is just really nice

yea i used the bearing that came in the kit. it sounds like that was a mistake on my behalf. Can i just replace that peice or do i have to put a new clutch in it?
MM + Cleavage member #22

Old October 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
KCCO

2004 Mustang GT
12.88 @ 112

GTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to GTsetGO Send a message via MSN to GTsetGO Send a message via Yahoo to GTsetGO

replace it with an OEM TOB.

the one that spec or any other clutch company provides is garbage

2008 Acura TL-S - 2008 Honda Pilot EX-SE

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I can't believe I missed all the black dick
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM   #5

empyrials is on a distinguished road

On my DSM it didn't matter if i used an OEM or Spec TOB, it always rattled when i had a SPEC clutch in there Hopefully it's different for mustangs
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 Mustang GT

quiksilver225 is on a distinguished road

Spec is very hit or miss. You either get a piece of garbage or a great clutch from them. There is no consistency in the quality of their stuff. You will hear from some who love Spec and you will hear from others who hate spec. With the stage one its pretty common to hate the Spec clutch kits. They just dont get it done. Regardless always use a Ford tob. the aftermarket guys try to slim the bearing up and use light weight stuff to try to save weight, but by doing so the bearing just dont hold up as well. The Ford ones are big, beefy, clunky, and last forever. They are "built Ford tough."

If you need to save money grab a new bearing and run that clutch into the ground. when it comes time for a new one look toward something more reliable like centerforce. Your only saving money if what you buy has the same lifespan as the expensive parts. Spec stage 1 does not last like a centerforce dual friction will.
BBK CAI, March UDPs, Eibach Sportline Springs, MM C/C plates, Koni Yellows, Centerforce DF clutch, FRPP Billet Flywheel, B&M Pro-Ripper Shifter, BBK ceramic LTs, BBK catted X-Pipe, SLP LM1, EBC rotors, 4.10 FRPP gears

5.4 4V coming soon
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 Mustang GT

replacing your clutch? look no further.
BBK CAI, March UDPs, Eibach Sportline Springs, MM C/C plates, Koni Yellows, Centerforce DF clutch, FRPP Billet Flywheel, B&M Pro-Ripper Shifter, BBK ceramic LTs, BBK catted X-Pipe, SLP LM1, EBC rotors, 4.10 FRPP gears

5.4 4V coming soon
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #8
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt
11.79@115.83 (old set up)

SWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud of

most problem with people and spec is that people dont know how to break them in. the spec clutches dont like to be baby'd to be broke in, they like to have a fairly aggressive break in. spec's quality is great, it is consistent, nothing wrong with them at all.

project warhorse under construction
wagon burner built! track times coming soon!(04 lightning)

being built by MP2 Performance
follow shop builds on facebook at: MP2 Performance
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM   #9
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

...And I'm gonna say the exact opposite of sweet2kstang. I hate spec with a passion. I wasted $300 some odd dollars on their bullshit quality parts. It's not your TOB, it's your clutch. The clutch is garbage. To replace the TOB, you have to drop the transmission again.

Also, I'm using the RAM TOB in my car. I didn't have the money for the Ford TOB at the time. 18,000 miles later and not a single problem.
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post
...And I'm gonna say the exact opposite of sweet2kstang. I hate spec with a passion. I wasted $300 some odd dollars on their bullshit quality parts. It's not your TOB, it's your clutch. The clutch is garbage. To replace the TOB, you have to drop the transmission again.

Also, I'm using the RAM TOB in my car. I didn't have the money for the Ford TOB at the time. 18,000 miles later and not a single problem.
i havent heard anything bad about the ram bearings either, but i still wouldnt wanna take the chance. my centerforce bearing is garbage. the clutch is great, just a poopy bearing.

5.4 4V coming soon
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

1998 Mustang 3.8

Redux has a spectacular aura aboutRedux has a spectacular aura about

Fine I'll say it. The RAM bearing is garbage too..... Just replaced my clutch 2 months (ish) ago and my TOB is already whining again.

Love the clutch though, its great. Just wish I went with the OEM as stated above.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you make it through the wall.
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM   #12

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

Guess I must have hit it right then? I dunno. I did my clutch according to Ford's spec by their Workshop manual. I even used the grease they recommended...
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:12 AM   #13
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt

SWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zinc02GT View Post

i love spec clutches i would recommend them to anyone. i thought you were one of the centerforce nutswingers. i havent heard much of anything out of ram, but what i have heard have been decent reveiws.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

1998 Mustang 3.8

Originally Posted by zinc02GT
Guess I must have hit it right then? I dunno. I did my clutch according to Ford's spec by their Workshop manual. I even used the grease they recommended...
Yeah I did on mine to. It's just hit and miss as stated above. It's just a love of work if you "miss" to try and replace it again shortly thereafter. That's why I recommended getting an OEM.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you make it through the wall.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM   #15
~C~
~C~, The Other White Meat!

Y2K YellowJacket GT
~TBD~

~C~ is just really nice~C~ is just really nice~C~ is just really nice~C~ is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to ~C~

Everyone loves and hates everything............

Except for Centerforce. Love mine. No problems with it all.

"Like the blind man says......We shall see...."
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM   #16
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt

^read post 13

Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM   #17
Regular

2003 Mach 1
12.12@112.69

TwirtleNutZ270 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by empyrials View Post
On my DSM it didn't matter if i used an OEM or Spec TOB, it always rattled when i had a SPEC clutch in there Hopefully it's different for mustangs
Dude that's Japan they do stuff all different lol
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #18
April 2012 ROTM

2002 GT, True Blue, Stick

wishIhada5.0 is a jewel in the roughwishIhada5.0 is a jewel in the roughwishIhada5.0 is a jewel in the roughwishIhada5.0 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to wishIhada5.0

FRPP is a nice heavy TOB...I like my centerforce alot...I dont however like the flywheel that I left unadressed when I changed the clutch lol so the tranny is on the floor...again lol
Attached Thumbnails
Throw out bearing.-stang-3.jpg  
True blue crew founder/member #1 Newest Project: 2010 Ram 2500 Cummins G56 RCLB Rollin' Coal Crew Founder
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

1998 Mustang 3.8

You didn't get it turned? ......

Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #20

You're supposed to get the flywheel resurfaced dude...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Throw out bearing.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throw Out Bearing??? Black01 99 - 04 68 February 4th, 2010 08:57 AM
Throw Out Bearing Lefty 4V / SVT 0 June 29th, 2008 06:10 PM
throw out bearing 40thmustanggt 99 - 04 2 August 8th, 2007 06:45 PM
Throw Out Bearing KMast14 V6 Mustangs 17 August 6th, 2007 06:43 PM
throw out bearing already???? 40thmustanggt 99 - 04 12 July 9th, 2007 09:26 PM