Rough Idle and low rpm misfire
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (7) Thread Tools
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:45 PM   7 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

2003 Mustang GT 4.6L V8

Gamble812 is on a distinguished road

Rough Idle and low rpm misfire

I've been struggling with misfires ever since my intake manifold cracked. I replaced the manifold and still have problems. The misfire occurs during idle and low to medium rpm load, but not during WOT. It feels like shaking and sputtering.

Plugs have been gapped at .54, .56, and .60 with similar if not identical results. They are currently at .54.

The plugs have been replaced three times. The first time I replaced them, the misfire was gone and the car performed perfect. I took the driver side boots out after a short drive to see if there was any fluid down in the holes (this was actually BEFORE I replaced the manifold) and when I put them back in, the car misfired again. I took the second driver side boot out and repositioned it and put it back in. The car ran perfectly again... for about 3 days. Then it misfired again.

Since then I have replaced the intake manifold, the spark plugs, and the coils, paying special mind to that second coil and plug. I've repositioned it, wiggled the wires, replaced the coil and boot three times, and replaced the plug several times. The misfire won't go away this time.

I use only 93 octane and have been running fuel cleaner every time I fill up to clear up any clogged injectors.

I've also checked all readily reachable vacuum lines.

EGR is working properly as far as I know (I put a vacuum on the solonoid and it stalled out.)

Nothing is working. I don't know what to try anymore.
My mechanic can't figure it out either.
The problem only seems to get worse.

My car is a mostly stock 03 Mustang GT with 120,000 miles and FLowmaster mufflers (just got the mufflers yesterday so it has nothing to do with the problem.)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forums. Did it throw a code?
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Regular

2011 5.0

98mustang is on a distinguished road

I had a friend with a similar situation and it turned out to be one bad spark plug wire. No way of knowing (to the eye) until he put new wires on there. You already did that much just try a new set of wires.
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Regular

01 Mustang GT

slonlow2000 is on a distinguished road

We dont have plug wires on new edge cars.

From what I can tell from searching 3 or 4 forums this is a common problem with the 99-04's. No one really has an answer. Some guys have full tuned, blown, built motors and still have the slight miss around 1500 rpms.

Some people say its the tune that ford put in, but theres other people with new tunes that still have the problem. So far I've never seen anything bad come out of it, mines done it since I bought it also. I'll look around for a few of the thread I was talking about and post them in here later.
02 Xtreme Blazer, Bagged - SOLD
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #5

2003 Mustang GT 4.6L V8

No codes thrown.
Also forgot to mention I cleaned the MAF.
It didnt used to misfire.
It performed like a dream when I got it.
I'm thinkin bad wiring somewhere since the one reposition set it straight for awhile.
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #6
Regular

01 Mustang GT

slonlow2000 is on a distinguished road

Is my engine supposed to miss at low RPMs? - Mustang Forums at StangNet

99 GT bad miss at 2000 rpm - Mustang Forums at StangNet

Low RPM miss? No codes showing... - Mustang Forums at StangNet

Question about MAF & Baro - strange miss here & there - Mustang Forums at StangNet

Thats just a quick search on stangnet cause I had it open in another window
02 Xtreme Blazer, Bagged - SOLD
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #7

2003 Mustang GT 4.6L V8

Thanks for the links, Slonlow. There's some good stuff in there. One popular solution was to replace the 02 sensors. Maybe I'll try that next.

Update: I popped the hood after a drive this morning and it looked like the first driver side fuel injector had gas on it while all the others looked dry. If the injector is clogged, could it overflow up out of the injector and past the o-ring like that?
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Regular

2000 mustang GT

Nostang is on a distinguished road

Mine does it to sum days it'll run good while others ittll miss fire or spudder at low rpms when I get in it it seems to have all of it's power, iv changed plugs coils traced wires o2sensors ect.ect. It's drivin me crazy!!!
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #9

2003 Mustang GT 4.6L V8

ani ideas for fixes or sources of the problem?
What all can cause a misfire?
And any answer to my injector question?
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #10
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

Well, to be honest, if you want a real answer you should get a wide band 02 sensor and a tuner so that you can data log.

That would tell you your issue real quick.
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #11
Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT
slow as sin....

pyschopath76 will become famous soon enoughpyschopath76 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HMUSN View Post
Well, to be honest, if you want a real answer you should get a wide band 02 sensor and a tuner so that you can data log.

That would tell you your issue real quick.
+1

Military Crew - AZ2(AW)
Black Stang Member #6
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #12
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT
12.7@108

Mike113 will become famous soon enough

Ive been having th esame problem for forever. Ive taken my car to my mechanic 6 times and he still cant figure out the problem.

So far Ive ran several bottles of fuel cleaner, mechanic did a fuel system flush, 8 new plugs, replaced a clogged injector, and I think he retuned the computer or somethin...Also replaced a sensor...

It threw a code for the #8 injector and we replaced that, but it still has the same problem with no code...

It just misses and sputters...it sucks lol
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #13

2003 Mustang GT 4.6L V8

okay. i guess i'll try the wide band o2 sensor and tuner when I get the cash.

Any input on the injector issue? could that be a probable cause of the misfire?
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT
12.7@108

Mike113 will become famous soon enough

If you have a clogged injector, that might cause you some problems.

I'm having the same problem as you. I thought it might be my injectors so I ran some injector cleaner through my car along with some good 93 oct gas. I put two bottles of slick 50 fuel system cleaner in. That didnt work...I guess theres more to it than my injectors.

It might be worth you trying it though. Its about 12 bucks a bottle. You might have some build up and that would clean it out.

Worth a shot!
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #15

2003 Mustang GT 4.6L V8

I just noticed a new symptom. when i yank on the throttle, it hesitates and makes an air sucking noise before actually revving. its a real quick thing. maybe a quarter of a second. but definitely noticeable. The air sucking is the air intake, but i never noticed this before, and i never noticed the hesitation before. is that normal?
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #16
Regular

04 gt dsg

06invertmini is on a distinguished road

Idle air control vavle possibly?
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #17
~C~
~C~, The Other White Meat!

Y2K YellowJacket GT
~TBD~

~C~ is just really nice~C~ is just really nice~C~ is just really nice~C~ is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to ~C~

Did you pull the injectors and look at them? Try cleaning them outside the car. Did you try replacing the boots?

"Like the blind man says......We shall see...."
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #18

2003 Mustang GT 4.6L V8

IAC is working properly. I have not looked at the injectors. That can be a messy job. I'm not even sure how to tell if they are clogged or dirty or working properly. any tips?
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #19
Regular

2003 Mustang Gt
N/A

Mustang03 is on a distinguished road

Mine did this too. Worked fine when i bought the car and then all of a sudden it started to misfire and sometimes it wouldnt start and t would backfire on startup. It pissed me off because i would never know when it wpuld do it and sometimes it would go away for like a month and then come back. Turns out it was my alternator. I took it off and had it checked and it wasnt putting out enough voltage. I replaced it and havent had a problem since. Try turning your ac on all the way and then checking your battery and the alternator should be putting out around 14.1-14.4 volts.
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #20

2003 Mustang GT 4.6L V8

Thanks for the tip! I tested the alternator and it was sporadically pulling values from 13.0 to 13.7 volts. Are these values too low? Could this be my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/144613-rough-idle-low-rpm-misfire.html
Posted By For Type Date
Mystery Misfire at low RPM not COPs or Fuel? - Crownvic.net This thread Refback September 3rd, 2014 01:48 PM
Mystery Misfire at low RPM not COPs or Fuel? - Crownvic.net This thread Refback August 31st, 2014 02:20 PM
Mystery Misfire at low RPM not COPs or Fuel? - Crownvic.net This thread Refback August 31st, 2014 02:15 AM
Mystery Misfire at low RPM not COPs or Fuel? - Crownvic.net This thread Refback August 30th, 2014 01:46 PM
Live Mobile Search This thread Refback December 26th, 2011 06:18 PM
Live Mobile Search This thread Refback December 26th, 2011 06:07 PM
2000 ford 4.6l misfire common problem This thread Refback October 15th, 2010 01:28 PM

Threads Similar to: Rough Idle and low rpm misfire
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misfire rpm drop mulercr88 96 - 98 5 November 9th, 2008 06:32 PM
misfire at idle kratos2250 94-95 5 October 21st, 2008 09:56 PM
Aftermarket TB/Plenum hanging idle/low idle issues! Novanutcase 99 - 04 12 August 13th, 2008 11:24 AM
rough idle, bog @ 3500 RPM Lmagee 5.0 Mustangs 11 September 19th, 2007 01:01 AM
misfire at high rpm musclemike 5.0 Mustangs 2 September 12th, 2007 02:23 PM