frozen caliper slide pin?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
Slower than your ability to post a question that can easily be found via search

GidEup is on a distinguished road

frozen caliper slide pin?

One of the two rear caliper pins is sticking; the pins that the caliper sides left to right on. The grease seems to solidify and then the pin starts stick and the brake starts to drag. Last time I regreased both pins, I could barely remove the pin that was sticking.

What I've tried:
-regreasing with regular grease; solves the problem for awhile but then goes bad.
-using higher temp grease; lasts longer but still happens.
-checking the pin for bends etc; its straight and dent free.
-dug as much of the solidified grease out of the pin pocket as possible and replaced.
-swapping the top and bottom pins; still happens.

Suggestions (short of replacing everything)?

I'd upgrade to something like willwood or brembo but I cant afford that option at this point in time.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #2
April 2012 ROTM

2002 GT, True Blue, Stick

wishIhada5.0 is a jewel in the roughwishIhada5.0 is a jewel in the roughwishIhada5.0 is a jewel in the roughwishIhada5.0 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to wishIhada5.0

take it all apart and clean out the slide bore with a cue tip or stuff a paper towel into it with a screwdriver and clean it out that way. start all over with the hi-temp grease. it only takes one little grain of sand to make it hang up.
True blue crew founder/member #1 Newest Project: 2010 Ram 2500 Cummins G56 RCLB Rollin' Coal Crew Founder
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #3
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

F8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to F8L GT

what are you greasing them with?? If its regular grease that could be your problem. Try some caliper slide grease

MM Bracket Racing Crew Co-Founder

Old January 8th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

04 mustang gt
7.21 @ 98

mrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to behold

use some of the motorcraft die electric caliper grease...what we use at the shop and works fine
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #5
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
Slower than your ability to post a question that can easily be found via search

GidEup is on a distinguished road

1st attempt was with some ford/merc multi purpose by valvoline
2nd was with lucas x-tra heavy duty grease.
(only choices I had at the local parts store)

wishihada5.0-thanks i'll give that a try.
f8l Gt- any suggestions for brand etc? I may have to mail order the stuff.
mrbigjeep - happen to have a sku handy?
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Regular

01 Mustang GT

slonlow2000 is on a distinguished road

I'm gonna bump this, even tho its a little old. I finally got my car out of the garage today, its been sitting through the cold crappy weather. It was finally sunny today and with more bad weather coming tomorrow I figured it needs to be driven. Anyways when I got back from a 30 min easy drive I could smell my front pass side brake had been dragging and was hot. I've already cleaned them out and regreased before but just used some lithium grease, and I guess that wasnt good enough.

So if you guys could post up what kinda grease yours using and where to buy that would be awesome.
02 Xtreme Blazer, Bagged - SOLD
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM   #7

2002 Mustang GT

sikorski04 is on a distinguished road

stuck caliper pin

My rear brakes experienced uneven wear on the left side. It was so bad that the inner brake pad eventually fell out when driving.

After investigating the problem during a brake job, I found it was due to a caliper pin no compressing. I tried liquid wrench, twisting it out, hammering it out, and many other combos.

After an hour of messing around, I took the bracket to a local mechanic and he was familiar with these issues. Torched it red hot and pulled the pin out. He didn't want to charge me but i gave him 10 bucks for the help. Was able to reuse it and not have to buy another bracket.
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:17 PM   #8
Who is John Galt?

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you have to give up and get a new caliper bracket with new pins. I couldn't beat the pins loose on one of my rear caliper brackets with a hammer. I gave up and bought new parts. I haven't had a problem since.

P.S. Every parts store I've ever been in recently sells caliper lube.
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #9
MM Fanatic

2003 ford mustang gt
13.62 @102mph

1_nice_03_gt is just really nice1_nice_03_gt is just really nice1_nice_03_gt is just really nice1_nice_03_gt is just really nice

so is that y it wud make a squiking sound from the left side of my car?
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Regular

02 GT

burner79 is on a distinguished road

Just get new pins from autozone. The kit for left and right is about $18 and includes bolts and everything.

I thought this was my only problem, but it turned out to be a warped rotor.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: frozen caliper slide pin?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
possibly a Frozen rear caliper? 93HatchsBFF 99 - 04 9 October 2nd, 2009 09:46 AM
2002 Caliper Slide Bolts. einod V6 Mustangs 2 April 18th, 2009 12:11 AM
little slide show of the hockey team thorpedo26 The Clubhouse 2 October 29th, 2008 11:06 PM
60 Foot Backyard Slide TurboLX The Clubhouse 4 November 1st, 2007 07:34 PM
are 4 pin vs 5 pin relays the same OTreborO 5.0 Mustangs 3 August 21st, 2006 01:24 AM