Modded Mustang Forums banner

Abs Light Is On Help!!!!! Can't Turn Off TRACION CONTROL!!!

25K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  PunisherStang01 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought this car (2000 Mustang GT) 2 days ago and have been working the bugs out meaning replacing fuses, sensors, bulbs etc. When I bought this car the front brakes was changed by their mechanic and I looked under the front end and the ABS sensors are plugged in (not sure if the light was on before they changed brakes). The check engine light came on about 40 miles and I took it to AutoZone and the (bank 1 forward of cat) O2 sensor showed bad so I replaced and it runs better now (however the ABS light was on but their machine couldn't read it they said) What do I do to find out which sensor might be bad on which wheel? and or is there something I can do to reset this? I already took the battery positive cable off and it came right back on during start up... Where to they plug in to the car at? The traction control switch did work once, now it wont turn off at all (I checked the fuses for the traction control but I thought is was do to the ABS light)

PLEASE HELP!!!! Thanks

#3 ·
You could probably OHM out the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and see if the component is in spec.

#4 ·
as Lefty said, you can do a resistance test on it to see if it is out of spec before you go replacing parts. If you can find what the spec is supposed to be then you can check it with a multi-meter and be done with it. all the connections for the front ABS sensors are behind the fender aprons, and the one's for the back IIRC are underneath the rear seat.

#5 ·
Here ya go. Here's how to check it. You need to check the resistance.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Disengage the wiring harness connector from the VSS.

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) wiring harness connector terminal identification-typical

Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM), measure the resistance (ohmmeter function) between the sensor terminals. If the resistance is 190–250 ohms, the sensor is okay.

Lefty = da shiz nit :D

#10 ·
Unfortunatly auto zone probably won't be able to give you a code because they can only read the powertrain codes from the pcm. I do believe they sell a scanner that will read abs codes. Could be wrong.

Also, make sure all you're sensors are clean as brake dust and metal particles like to get in there andjam up the signal

#11 ·
Unfortunatly auto zone probably won't be able to give you a code because they can only read the powertrain codes from the pcm. I do believe they sell a scanner that will read abs codes. Could be wrong.

Also, make sure all you're sensors are clean as brake dust and metal particles like to get in there andjam up the signal

#13 ·
^Some tuner's won't read codes that in depth or sometimes they won't read specific powertrain codes.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input, I have checked the connections on all wheel? Not sure about the VSS (don't know where this is) I haven't tried to stop quick and lock them up, don't have a tuner either, the tires are all the same size and yes the fluid level shows fine. Wow you guys are great at helping out, really wish I was a motor head...

Can you tell me more about the OHM out the VSS...

#17 ·
On either of your front wheels you'll have wheel speed sensor, also have them on the rear but connectors are harder to get to. These sensor measure how fast all the wheels are going at the same time. say for instance you hit a wet spot in the road and your rr tire spins and your lr tire doesnt, your abs (antilock brake system) will reduce braking power to the tire that is spining or trying to lock up.

In order to see which sensor is not operating properly you'll need a dmm (digital multi meter) which can read ohms. You'll need to go to one of the front hubs and locate your vss (vehicle speed sensor), there should be two wires coming out of the sensor. Trace those wires to the connector. Disconnect the connect and probe the two wire with your ohm meter. Make sure your doing this on the wiring towards the sensor not the ebcm (electronic brake control module) the sensor should ohm over 1000 ohms not spinning the wheel.

If that checks okay, turn your meter to amps or ac voltage cannot remember at the moment. continue probing sensor side of conector and spin your wheel. Should read 200+ easily, if the sensor is working properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.