4.6 sohc timing chain kit replacement ? Special tools?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

2001 MUSTANG BULLITT

Tallboywv2 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

4.6 sohc timing chain kit replacement ? Special tools?

I have a 01 bullitt mustang with 87k I think either a tensioner or a guide is either wore out or broke. A mild ticking sounds is coming from the front . I found a kit that includes cam gears crank gears chains , guides the whole 9 yards etc .. I've never changed a 4.6 sohc timing chain and the book isn't very clear. So here is a few questions that I would appreciate any info on !!

1. Does the camshaft on each side need to be locked or does it even need to be locked ?
2. Where can I find a camshaft positioning tool or is there way ?
3. Any tips to make the job easier?
Thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Regular

2003 Mustang GT

prizefighter can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to prizefighter

+1 I need to replace a broken guide as well/
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #3

2001 Black Bullitt #4012

01blackbullitt is on a distinguished road

OK i just changed all the timing stuff on my bullitt. I bought the cam tools from summit. They however dont fit my aftermarket comp cams. I bought the otc brand that comes with the v8/v10 stuff and even works dohc. Make sure its in tdc on #1 before you remove the timing cover there is a mark on the timing cover as well as on the balancer. The tensioners are easy to mess with just compress and put a paperclip in them. The new chains should have two different colored links in them on goes on the keyway on the crank. That should help get you started any other question just ask.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #4

2001 MUSTANG BULLITT

Tallboywv2 is on a distinguished road

Ok I think I can get it on top dead center . Buy I just went To summit but this tool doesn't look like anything in the book OTC Tools 6498 - OTC Ford 4.6L 4-Valve Cam Tool Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com .. I I'm not wanting to change cams just the cam gears .. Does this kit actuallylock the cams in place or just position new ones ?? And does the cams HAVE to be locked in place or when I take the cam gears off will the valve spring compression turn the cam ? Thanks 01blackbullitt
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #5
ajm
Banned

ajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud of

That tool is for the 4v. The tool for the 2v is otc 7928.

No the tool does not lock the cams in place. It is used to remove the followers.

No you dont have to lock the cams in place but you will need to remove the followers if you do not lock them in place. If you dont remove the followers when you remove the chains the tension from the springs will spin the cam around just like you said.....Which is why you DO NOT want to put the engine at tdc unless you want bent valves....You want to put it in safe mode that way all the pistons are below tdc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/161942-4-6-sohc-timing-chain-kit-replacement-special-tools.html
Posted By For Type Date
Ford 4.6 Timing Chain Replace This thread Refback May 17th, 2013 06:15 PM

Threads Similar to: 4.6 sohc timing chain kit replacement ? Special tools?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
special tools greengoblin The Clubhouse 7 April 7th, 2009 12:39 AM
Do I need special tools to install axel backs? Margarita Girl 2005 - 2010 23 April 5th, 2009 08:03 PM
Timing Chain greengoblin 99 - 04 8 April 4th, 2009 04:20 PM
TIMING CHAIN REPLACEMENT CRZCOBRA Modular Mustangs 1 July 9th, 2007 05:49 PM