how make a air to air intercooler
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Regular

2002 mustang gt

02gtvortech is on a distinguished road

need help on how to make air to air intercooler

hi everyone, iam new here. i bought a 02 gt two months ago. its my first one. i installed a vortech supercharger kit from summit and works awesome alot of power and now i installed a air to air intercooler kit bought it from ebay. came with a bov. got most of it installed just dont know if i need a bov or use the vortech one and where does it go. i been looking around the internet but just cant find directions. any help? thanks alot.i also installed bbk hi-flow cats,magnaflow cat back. 75mm tb bbk, and uper intake. any idea on hosepower? thanks

Last edited by 02gtvortech; June 18th, 2010 at 11:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

04 mustang gt
7.21 @ 98

mrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to behold

could be 360-410 rwhp lol...depends on the tune

do you have a blow thru maf or draw thru
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #3

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.86 @ 117mph

Shaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond repute

You can use the same blow off/bypass valve, depending on how much boost, you may need 2. Or just a stronger one. Like the Procharger Pro-flo, or whatever

You want to put it right after the head unit. Like a couple inches to a foot down. So inbetween the supercharger and inlet of the intercooler.

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
Track times coming soon...
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Regular

2002 mustang gt

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep View Post
could be 360-410 rwhp lol...depends on the tune

do you have a blow thru maf or draw thru
i had to send my computer to vortech so my tune is from vortech. i have the stock plastic bov that came with the kit. i dont know the different between the blow thru maf or draw thru sorry.
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #5

04 mustang gt
7.21 @ 98

mrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to behold

def. not the best way to make power so definitely on the lower side but still should be pretty decent
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #6

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.86 @ 117mph

Shaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond repute

Yea you need a custom dyno tune. Its much more worth it, and a lot safer.

You can use the stock bosch bypass valve, but you may need 2. Also how much boost are you making? With an intercooler, its gonna go way down. Those ebay intercoolers drain boost because there pretty big. If your making 10psi youll probally go to 5, 6 or 7psi

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Regular

2002 mustang gt

Originally Posted by Shaun03GT View Post
You can use the same blow off/bypass valve, depending on how much boost, you may need 2. Or just a stronger one. Like the Procharger Pro-flo, or whatever

You want to put it right after the head unit. Like a couple inches to a foot down. So inbetween the supercharger and inlet of the intercooler.
i tried that with the bov that came with the intercooler kit and made no boost. if i use the stock one do i just leave it where it is? i want to buy the vorteck mini bov one day. i made around 8 pounds of boost so far i think the kit says 7-9 pounds.
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #8

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.86 @ 117mph

You made no boost? You must have an intercooler leak then. If you use the stock bypass/blow off valve, it needs to be a few inches down after the supercharger.

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #9
Regular

2002 mustang gt

def. not the best way to make power so definitely on the lower side but still should be pretty decent
why would it not make any power? i dont understand. all of the work done to my car it schould make good power.
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Regular

2002 mustang gt

You made no boost? You must have an intercooler leak then. If you use the stock bypass/blow off valve, it needs to be a few inches down after the supercharger.
tomorrow i will check everything and try the stock bypass on the intercooler. thanks for all the info. i love to learn more. thanks again everybody. if their is anything else i schould be doing or have please let me know. like i said this is my first mustang. i had alot of chevys and now i am a ford guy.
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #11

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.86 @ 117mph

No hes saying its not the best way, meaning the best way is a custom dyno tune. Getting your computer re-flashed isnt as acurate as a dyno tune. Dyno tune you can view live data with the car running to check IAT's, air fuel ratio, throw in timing or pull timing etc.... I say get a custom dyno tune for sure, money well spent.

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #12

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.86 @ 117mph

Originally Posted by 02gtvortech View Post
tomorrow i will check everything and try the stock bypass on the intercooler. thanks for all the info. i love to learn more. thanks again everybody. if their is anything else i schould be doing or have please let me know. like i said this is my first mustang. i had alot of chevys and now i am a ford guy.
No problem, I love teaching now (seriously no sarcasm) Like I said though, going from a small discharge to an intercooler, and a lot more piping your gonna lose boost. Probally like 2-4psi. So whatever pulley you have on now, you may want to go to the next size down, or 2 sizes down.

GET A CUSTOM DYNO TUNE!!!!!! Cant stress that enough

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #13
Regular

2002 mustang gt

Yea you need a custom dyno tune. Its much more worth it, and a lot safer.

You can use the stock bosch bypass valve, but you may need 2. Also how much boost are you making? With an intercooler, its gonna go way down. Those ebay intercoolers drain boost because there pretty big. If your making 10psi youll probally go to 5, 6 or 7psi
i made around 8psi of boost. my intercooler is pretty big. vortech custom tune my computer but i do wanna take it to the dyno. do you think i need a intercooler with 8-9psi of boost? thanks
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #14

04 mustang gt
7.21 @ 98

yes exactly.

most of the time those ones that you send in are just some general tune. so definitely more power to be had as well as safety!...you would be able to make sure everything is spot on
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #15
Regular

2002 mustang gt

No hes saying its not the best way, meaning the best way is a custom dyno tune. Getting your computer re-flashed isnt as acurate as a dyno tune. Dyno tune you can view live data with the car running to check IAT's, air fuel ratio, throw in timing or pull timing etc.... I say get a custom dyno tune for sure, money well spent.
ok i understand now. i have all the stock stuff that came with the supercharger v-1 head unit.
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #16
Regular

2002 mustang gt

yes exactly.

most of the time those ones that you send in are just some general tune. so definitely more power to be had as well as safety!...you would be able to make sure everything is spot on
i see why you guys say to get it dyno. vortech supercharger is for a stock car and my is not i have other work done to it. i can be losing power i am going to look for a dyno place around me in the morning. thanks alot
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #17

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.86 @ 117mph

With the intercooler youll lose boost for sure, youll want a smaller pulley most likley

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #18
Regular

2002 mustang gt

guys i am still not done with the intercooler but was wondering if i should get a anderson power pipe instead of the intercooler? or can i use both. i was also told to get a new maf but then i would need it tuned. cant i just get the maf tuned? my local tunner said it would cost around $700 to get my car tuned is that right? they said i would need a hand held programer.
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #19

2003 Mustang GT
12.61@113.55

blownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud of

If you are using the stock maf you are running a draw thru setup. Yes, you can use a powerpipe and intercooler. The stock maf will peg. You can either buy a Diablosport mafia extender to increase the voltage of the stock maf, or get a 90mm lightning maf. The bypass valve goes in a different place if you are draw thru than if you were blow thru. I would get The Vortech maxflow mini race bypass if I were you. You need to mount it on a 45 degree angle pointing towards the supercharger on the disharge pipe that goes to the throttle body. You will also need to dump it back in the powerpipe using a hose. My V1 is making 8psi with a 3.6 pulley and powerpipe. If you add an ebay intercooler you will see boost drop by around 2 psi. You will want to get a 3.33 pulley or smaller. You definitely need to get the car dyno tuned and not just have Vortech reprogram your computer. $700 is a good price for a dyno tune and hand held programmer. Which tuner are you talking to?

N/A: 266/300, 3,550lbs, 13.44@100.5 1.77 60'
Non-intercooled (3.6, 9psi): 356/371, 3,575lbs, 12.81@110.47 1.86 60'
Intercooled (3.33, 9psi): 361/370, 12.59@111.82 1.67 60'
Intercooled (3.12, 9.5psi): 403/394 12.61@113.55 1.78 60'
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #20

2003 Mustang GT
12.61@113.55

blownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud ofblownstang has much to be proud of

This is how your bypass should be mounted:
http://stangnuts.com/images/projects...ne-bay-057.jpg

vortech mini race? is this it???

N/A: 266/300, 3,550lbs, 13.44@100.5 1.77 60'
Non-intercooled (3.6, 9psi): 356/371, 3,575lbs, 12.81@110.47 1.86 60'
Intercooled (3.33, 9psi): 361/370, 12.59@111.82 1.67 60'
Intercooled (3.12, 9.5psi): 403/394 12.61@113.55 1.78 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: how make a air to air intercooler
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air to water intercooler setup DickH General Tech 29 April 29th, 2009 05:36 AM
air to water intercooler slow02gt 99 - 04 0 December 27th, 2008 09:43 PM
air to liquid vs air to air intercooler 06GT300 2005 - 2010 3 August 25th, 2008 08:49 PM