Traction control?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Enthusiast

99 mustang gt
never @ 0

DegralDan is on a distinguished road

Traction control?

I've always wondered how the traction control worked. It feels like the computer is cutting the power to the car somehow but I'm not sure, maybe it does something to the tranny as well? I always left it off cuz I hated it anyways, but I just wanted to see if I could disable it permanently or if that would cause any problems once my build is done.
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Enthusiast

MY OTHER RIDE IS YOUR MOM

3sportbob will become famous soon enough

I think it retards the timing. You can shut it off permanently with a tune. Should cause no problems unless you are heavy footed in the slippery stuff.

“I Saw Elvis at 1000 Feet”

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Mach1 FTW

04 Comp. Orange Mach1

LGHTNG02GT is just really niceLGHTNG02GT is just really niceLGHTNG02GT is just really niceLGHTNG02GT is just really nice

its somewhere in the owners manual what it does. i can tell you for a fact that it can cut fuel. i accidently leaned out my motor for just a second because i juiced it with the traction control on and it activated.

it can be disabled with a tuner. traction control sucks really. my feelings on it are if you're afraid of the car and need to use it, you shouldnt be driving the car in the 1st place.

2004 Competition Orange Mach 1
4.10 gears and all the usual BS
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT
8.20@81.24 (1/8)

andrewskaggs is a jewel in the roughandrewskaggs is a jewel in the roughandrewskaggs is a jewel in the rough

Traction control retards timing, cuts fuel, and applies the brakes on the wheel that is slipping (I believe in that order).
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #5
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

knb13 is on a distinguished road

"The traction control system for the Mustang that combines brake and engine management to control wheelspin. When any of the four ABS/traction control sensors detect that a drive wheel is spinning at a rate higher than its counterpart, ignition spark is retarded and the fuel/air ratio is modulated to attenuate torque delivered to the slipping tire. If the condition persists, cylinder cut-off occurs, brakes are applied to the wheel with low friction, and power is transferred to the other drive wheel. The driver is informed of TCS events via an indicator light in the instrument cluster. TCS may not significantly improve traction when both wheels are on a slippery surface, but it optimizes the use of available traction. The benefit under this condition is improved vehicle steerability and stability provided by controlling excess wheel slip."
'02 Honda CBR F4i- two wheeled toy
Nothing I own is stock...
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Regular

1999 Mustang GT
14.18@99.32

thork is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thork

With it off, think I'll run better 1/4 time? lol

Just messin, yeah I am an idiot, kept it on at the track. From what I've heard and read, like everyone else is saying, cuts fuel and brakes the slipping wheel(s)
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Bullitt
12.25@110.4

Bullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LGHTNG02GT View Post
its somewhere in the owners manual what it does. i can tell you for a fact that it can cut fuel. i accidently leaned out my motor for just a second because i juiced it with the traction control on and it activated.

it can be disabled with a tuner. traction control sucks really. my feelings on it are if you're afraid of the car and need to use it, you shouldnt be driving the car in the 1st place.
My traction control has saved my ass a couple times......

The 1st was when I went to work in the morning, and it was bright and sunny, and right as I was leaving work in the afternoon, it started to snow. By the time I got home, there was 6" of snow on the ground. I had it disabled in my tune, but luckily had my tuner in the trunk. Without the traction control enabled, I couldn't even move the car. As soon as I turned it back on, I drove the 25 miles home with limited problems.

The 2nd time was on the way home from the dragstrip with my ET Streets on the car, and it started raining hard. Traction control was very useful in being able to take off in the car.
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #8

2003 Grand Cherokee

03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
The 1st was when I went to work in the morning, and it was bright and sunny, and right as I was leaving work in the afternoon, it started to snow. By the time I got home, there was 6" of snow on the ground. I had it disabled in my tune, but luckily had my tuner in the trunk. Without the traction control enabled, I couldn't even move the car. As soon as I turned it back on, I drove the 25 miles home with limited problems.
Some sports cars recommend in the manual that you turn traction control OFF if you're in the snow. Buddy has a newer Challenger and that's what's recommended in the manual. I never found TC useful in the snow as it just kept you from moving when you wanted to go.
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #9
SC3

2000 Mustang GT

SC3 is on a distinguished road

In mine it has a traction control button right next to where the cig lighter is... can be turned on/off just by pressing the button.

U.S. Marines......No Better Friend.......No Worse Enemy... SEMPER FI!!!
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Bullitt
12.25@110.4

Bullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of lightBullitt5339 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 03SonicBoom View Post
Some sports cars recommend in the manual that you turn traction control OFF if you're in the snow. Buddy has a newer Challenger and that's what's recommended in the manual. I never found TC useful in the snow as it just kept you from moving when you wanted to go.
Well, I can tell you without a doubt when you're riding on 315/35/17 summer use only tires, without the traction control, you won't move a bit, and if you do, it won't be forward, more sideways than anything. I would let off the clutch, and just sit there, back tires spinning, and I wasn't giving it any gas.

With TC turned on, I was able to drive it home.
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #11

2003 Grand Cherokee

03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I can tell you without a doubt when you're riding on 315/35/17 summer use only tires, without the traction control, you won't move a bit, and if you do, it won't be forward, more sideways than anything. I would let off the clutch, and just sit there, back tires spinning, and I wasn't giving it any gas.

With TC turned on, I was able to drive it home.
Been there, done that. With proper right foot control and steering you can go places. Yes, the tires will spin but you control it.
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #12
Enthusiast

99 mustang v6

nukeman13 is on a distinguished road

i got a 99 6er and it has lights on gauge panel that shows if TC is on or off but has no switch, and the light is always off. i know some model 6ers came with it. so is there anyway i can mod or somthin so i can enable this? would be really really helpful when it rains lol
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Bullitt
12.25@110.4

Been there, done that. With proper right foot control and steering you can go places. Yes, the tires will spin but you control it.
You must have a reading comprehension problem........ When the car is spinning and sitting still without giving it any gas, how it right foot control going to help? Steer all you want, but if you're not going anywhere at a dead stop, where are you going?
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #14

2003 Grand Cherokee

You must have a reading comprehension problem........ When the car is spinning and sitting still without giving it any gas, how it right foot control going to help? Steer all you want, but if you're not going anywhere at a dead stop, where are you going?
Feather the clutch and learn to drive. TC doesn't really do anything you can not do with good driving.
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Bullitt
12.25@110.4

Feather the clutch and learn to drive. TC doesn't really do anything you can not do with good driving.
You're hilarious..........

But I probably wouldn't make random remarks like that without knowing some background of the person you're talking about........ You might just be talking out of your ass without knowing it.
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #16

2014 301a gt auto
getting there......

casper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond reputecasper gt has a reputation beyond repute

man you guys are really funny. how do you think people got around in the winter before traction control? for that matter how did they drive without abs? (you do realize that cars have been around for a hunred years or so & driving crutches, oops, I mean aids, have only been around for about 20)
I agree with some of the above posts, if you can't handle the car, you cant handle the car & traction control/abs is just giving you a false sense of security.
what kinda retard drives in the show with 315's anyway?

tuned & sponsored by JPC Racing
http://www.jpcracing.com/

2012 300a GT A6...............sold

2014 301a GT A6
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #17
Who is John Galt?

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

Casper is right.

I have found traction control to be useless. I have been driving on snow with limited slip differential cars since the late '60s. After a single winter I realized that I react much faster than the computer in the snow. You are correct that summer tires in the snow and slicks in the rain (both situations are beyond the design limitations of the tires) are hard to control. That is why you take off in second and slip the clutch. My traction control is permanently turned off. But then again, I try to run the proper tire for my driving conditions.

As far as ABS is concerned, it has taken me years to learn to not pump the brakes.

Last edited by Eagle2000GT; June 18th, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #18
Enthusiast

MY OTHER RIDE IS YOUR MOM

3sportbob will become famous soon enough

“I Saw Elvis at 1000 Feet”

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #19

2003 Grand Cherokee

You're hilarious..........

But I probably wouldn't make random remarks like that without knowing some background of the person you're talking about........ You might just be talking out of your ass without knowing it.
I'm not insulting you or your driving man, don't take it personal. All I'm saying is that anything that's done with TC can be accomplished with proper driving of the car. Electronics are simply aids to make things easier.
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #20
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Bullitt
12.25@110.4

Originally Posted by casper gt View Post
what kinda retard drives in the show with 315's anyway?
One that lives in North Carolina where it never snows, and it's 60 degrees when you leave the house, and snowing on the way home..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Traction control?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traction Control 04stang123456789 V6 Mustangs 24 March 12th, 2009 06:44 PM
Traction Control on 00 GT???? joejoe8455 Modular Mustangs 8 June 3rd, 2007 11:22 AM
Traction Control kdb30 Modular Mustangs 2 June 1st, 2007 02:54 AM
Traction control help please! dmachine22 99 - 04 33 February 3rd, 2007 12:56 AM
Traction Control khartford Modular Mustangs 4 November 11th, 2006 06:54 PM