porting stock intake manifold
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM   #1

99GT281 is on a distinguished road

porting stock intake manifold

i wasnt too sure if this is a repost or even possible but just wondering if anyone had any views on if porting the intake was possible and if there are any gains in hp from doing it.

has anyone done this? or see any tech articles about doing this??

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Self proclaimed A-hole

White99stang is a name known to allWhite99stang is a name known to allWhite99stang is a name known to allWhite99stang is a name known to allWhite99stang is a name known to allWhite99stang is a name known to all

you can't port plastic there homie, now if you are talking about the plenum then yes you can port them, don't know if its really worth the effort cause it won't gain you that much.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM   #3

ya i know you can port the plenum and the TB for like a awesome 2hp. but i wasnt sure if that plastic one could be or not. i figured maybe if it was thicker then maybe but i guess not.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:48 PM   #4
RLY SRS

ChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ

Thats the kicker with these cars...The damn plastic intake...
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM   #5
Enthusiast

2000 mustang gt

raceruler03 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to raceruler03

and a good one will cost you.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM   #6

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
Thats the kicker with these cars...The damn plastic intake...
yaaa and the worst part about having those plastic intakes is when they crack. screwed me over, and i didnt have the money to buy one like the typhoon.

it was like be kicked in the nuts...
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:06 AM   #7
The Shogun of Harlem

2001 Bullitt GT
????????????????

neckbonekat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to neckbonekat Send a message via Yahoo to neckbonekat

What about porting my stock manifol? Do you think that would be good for me to do?

ITEMS FOR SALE!
4.10 GEARS + BEARING KIT
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM   #8

CantDrv55 is on a distinguished road

The main problem with the stock intake is not the size of the runners, but the length and shape of them. Factory manifolds are designed for good drivability and emissions at all rpms. So even if you could port it you wouldn't notice much. I recently picked up a used typhoon on ebay for $400 and spent 2 hours porting and polishing it. Should make some nice HP for not a lot of money.

-Jon
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM   #9
The Shogun of Harlem

2001 Bullitt GT
????????????????

neckbonekat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to neckbonekat Send a message via Yahoo to neckbonekat

Originally Posted by CantDrv55
The main problem with the stock intake is not the size of the runners, but the length and shape of them. Factory manifolds are designed for good drivability and emissions at all rpms. So even if you could port it you wouldn't notice much. I recently picked up a used typhoon on ebay for $400 and spent 2 hours porting and polishing it. Should make some nice HP for not a lot of money.

-Jon
Well I found this after I asked the question:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...bullittintake/
Bullitt Blast Performance enthusiasts know one way to increase power is to improve the airflow to the engine. If you own a 4.6 2V, it means installing an '01 Bullitt intake manifold. Unlike the plastic intakes found on all '96-present GT models, the '01 Bullitt manifold is cast aluminum which gives it some advantages--first, because it can be ported, and second, because if you run nitrous, there is a much smaller chance of blowing the thing into a million pieces should your engine encounter a dreaded nitrous backfire. Another attribute is the shorter, yet larger, runners. If there is a downside, it is the weight. The Bullitt intake weighs about 35 pounds, which is about twice the weight of the plastic one.

ITEMS FOR SALE!
4.10 GEARS + BEARING KIT
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Enthusiast

2000 mustang gt

raceruler03 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to raceruler03

I've heard mixed reports, everyone wants to try out all these new intakes, but how much hp can they actually put out?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM   #11
MM's Mad Scientist

Slow Fella

acmillr is a splendid one to beholdacmillr is a splendid one to beholdacmillr is a splendid one to beholdacmillr is a splendid one to beholdacmillr is a splendid one to beholdacmillr is a splendid one to behold

Hell, I port matched my stock (plastic PI) intake with some router bits made for wood just to even up the entry into the ported heads. I don't know if it really mad a difference, but it inly took about 30 minutes. Just be careful not to get in there to deep. That plastic comes off fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: porting stock intake manifold
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swapping a 98 V6 intake manifold with for a 99 V6 manifold 98mustang V6 Mustangs 6 November 20th, 2010 11:20 PM
Taking off Stock intake manifold 95blueGT 94-95 9 June 18th, 2007 09:50 AM
Stock head and Intake Porting GizmosMustang 5.0 Mustangs 21 May 3rd, 2007 10:29 PM
intake,lower and upeer porting SPF0percent V6 Mustangs 7 April 12th, 2007 04:11 PM
v6 splitport intake manifold porting/polish 99mustang232 V6 Mustangs 1 November 28th, 2005 09:25 AM