Eaton/Detroit Tru Trac Issues *NEED user info*
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (6) Thread Tools
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:39 PM   6 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

jonwrong will become famous soon enoughjonwrong will become famous soon enough

Eaton/Detroit Tru Trac Issues *NEED user info*

Let me start by saying that I HATE having a shop do work, and I generally never have anything done outside of alignments and tire mounting. Because I have never done rear end work, Florida summers are brutal, and I am impatient, I decided to have a shop do the rear end work.

I have a Tru Trac put in, 31 spline ford racing axles, ford 3.55s, all new bearings and seals. I am about a month out from the install. I have developed this clunking noise.

The car has a clunk that is speed dependent. It either cannot be heard under load or the exhaust masks it. I think it is the former. Starting from 40mph or so coasting down out of gear, I hear a clunking that seems to get slower and louder with a decrease in speed. It does not do it when turning as far as I can tell. It seems to quiet a little when braking, but it is definitely coming from the diff. It will also do the sound when drive train slop exists (in gear at 1000 to 1400rpm). Mine gets louder when it's hot.

I have searched via google and seen a lot of threads about people either saying their tru trac makes no noise or made this noise from new and is normal. No one with the noise has ever reported back over a long period to say the diff continued to be great with the noise and that it didn't get worse. I took it by the shop today, and they asked me to bring it in Monday and take it easy in the mean time. He seemed mildly concerned; I guess they will open it up and check. In the mean time, I am curious...

Can anyone supply an input?

Saleen Series II, MHS Stage 1 Heads & Blower Cams, 365whp/385wtq, Chicane I/C, Mosaleen Pulley, Fidanza FW, Alum Driveshaft, BBK Headers, Steeda Exhaust, TruTrac 31 Spline, 3.55s, 315s, MM FLSCs, Rear LCAs, MGW Shifter, Eibach Pro, Cobra Brakes.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Regular

2004 mustang gt

competition orange is on a distinguished road

i don't have one but i know there louder when turning,atleast my buddys is.
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

JayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to all

Mine makes a noise when off throttle decel. I have solid control arm bushing and a gutted trunk so I just live with it.

12.25 @ 111 mph w/ CMS stage II cams
10.95 @ 119 mph NX 150 shot
6.96 @ 102 1/8th mile
Best 60', 1.43
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

Originally Posted by JayC View Post
Mine makes a noise when off throttle decel. I have solid control arm bushing and a gutted trunk so I just live with it.
The noise I described? From new? How long has it been like that?

Saleen Series II, MHS Stage 1 Heads & Blower Cams, 365whp/385wtq, Chicane I/C, Mosaleen Pulley, Fidanza FW, Alum Driveshaft, BBK Headers, Steeda Exhaust, TruTrac 31 Spline, 3.55s, 315s, MM FLSCs, Rear LCAs, MGW Shifter, Eibach Pro, Cobra Brakes.
Old July 25th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

JayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jonwrong View Post
The noise I described? From new? How long has it been like that?
I have a knock-knock-knock when I'm coasting, I can ease into the throttle and it immediately goes away. Been like this from day 1.

6.96 @ 102 1/8th mile
Best 60', 1.43
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I have a knock-knock-knock when I'm coasting, I can ease into the throttle and it immediately goes away. Been like this from day 1.

That's my sound too. Oh, well. I will see what this shop says... sucks. A lot of people report zero noise with the tru trac. I don't care if it's noisy so much; I just don't want it to break.

Old July 25th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #7
2009 ROTY

2003 SVT Cobra
11.07@127

AzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to AzSonicSnake Send a message via MSN to AzSonicSnake

i have an eaton trutrac and it has not made any strange noises since day 1. i have a little gear whine, but its from the 3.90s i have.

MM Cobra Club #25 My Autolog Profile
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Regular

MadBeau is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AzSonicSnake View Post
i have an eaton trutrac and it has not made any strange noises since day 1. i have a little gear whine, but its from the 3.90s i have.
Same here.
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #9
MM Fanatic

2003 Mustang GT
11.98 @ 116 N/A

PapaSmurf is a jewel in the roughPapaSmurf is a jewel in the roughPapaSmurf is a jewel in the roughPapaSmurf is a jewel in the rough

mine makes the noise JayC described. I too have a gutted trunk. Otherwise my trutrac is pretty darn quiet

315hp/300tq
Full Boltons, MHS Stage 3R cams, Stage 2 Heads, Built rear/4.30 gears

Sonic Blue Crew
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

I drove it to work this morning with plans to take it by the shop around lunch time. When I got into the parking garage, I realized something is seriously wrong. It was click clacking and clunking hard and echoing off of everything! It is pretty damn loud. I genuinely hope the shop takes care of me. The diff is under warranty, but who knows what else it took out in the process. This is the ONLY mod I didn't undertake on my own, and it's turning out badly. $1400 in this rear end.

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

Any other input? I haven't heard from the shop yet.

Old July 27th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Regular

AutoXRacer is on a distinguished road

I've had my Trutrac going on 8 months now of daily driving, autocrossing, and drag racing...and its still performing perfectly.

I also since day one have had the clunk, clunk, clunk noise on decel and during drivetrain slack. Its normal...
I was told its a combination of installing a solid differential and the stock driveshaft with a slip joint in it. Clutch type diffs seem to absorb the driveshaft noise.

Regarding the noise getting louder is due to your gear oil being too thin...thins out with heat. Pay attention in the mornings when the car is cold and the diff is almost quiet.
I use Red Line Shockproof Heavy gear/diff oil. Its awesome stuff and keeps my noise under control...still have it, but its much quieter than when it had the stock fluid when it was first installed.

Your last post worries me since you mentioned its loud as hell...its makes noise, but should drown out with a little music or aftermarket exhaust. Which comes to my next point. I think all these units make noise, but since most if not all Mustang owners mod their exhausts, the noise gets overpowered by the exhaust...

I recently installed an off-road X pipe and that exhaust is so darn loud I can't hear the diff anymore...its so loud that its even pointless to even turn on the radio... lol

I hope that helps...let us know what the shop finds out.
Tuned by Lito: 680HP/605TQ (13.5 PSI) | 92 octane

Lito: http://www.tudyno.com/
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

The shop called me this evening and said they opened it up and everything checked out. He said they spent some time playing with it and were only able to produce the noise with no load when the wheels were on the ground. He said torsen diffs are noisy,and it's normal for the mechanical noise to increase in the first month or two as the metal of the worm gears smooths out.

He said I could play with different fluids or remove 2 psi from one tire and test the noise. No two tires are the exact same circumference, especially under moving load. He said the noise is the diff differentiating under no load. Anytime I or they add load of throttle, the worm gear engages one side of the diff gear, and the noise is gone.

I plan to open it up this weekend just to take a look and make sure there is no evidence of a problem that they may have corrected without telling me. I will try some other fluids. I have done of searching online, and it seems like 70-75% of trutrac owners have confirmed this noise as normal while 25-30% say there's has never made a peep. Of those 70-70%, it looks like %25-30% reported changing gear oils and having luck. Most recommend mineral based non-synthetic.

I can't hear mine with the radio on; I have to be listening for it. As luck would have it, it initially caught my ear after I finished a phone call and forgot to turn the radio back on. I heard in the garage as it echoed off of everything, and I was specifically listening for it.

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Regular

AutoXRacer is on a distinguished road

Synthetic is OK as long as it is thick.
Thats why I love Shockproof!!!
Tuned by Lito: 680HP/605TQ (13.5 PSI) | 92 octane

Lito: http://www.tudyno.com/
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #15
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer View Post
And in FL, there is no risk b/c it doesn't get too cold. You need less than 2 quarts for this thing right?

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #16
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer View Post
Heavy ShockProof™

Is this what you ran, the same stuff people run in trannys sometimes?

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 mustang
7.48x1.56=11.67

JTs03v6 has a spectacular aura aboutJTs03v6 has a spectacular aura aboutJTs03v6 has a spectacular aura about

I'm running a detroit locker in my rear and it will pop occasionally. And when going around curves it will clunk really fast.

My solid upper and poly lowers made it more noisy, because the stock rubber took a lot of the impact out.

Hope everythings al right with yours. Kind of hard to mess up a rear rebuild though.
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #18
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

I put heavy shockproof in tonight. I'll drive it tomorrow and report back; have to wait for everything to dry.

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:29 PM   #19
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

Honestly, it is still noisy, but I must that the it is A LOT quieter. I cannot hear it over the radio at all whereas before I heard enough to want to turn the radio off and listen. I can only hear it sometimes with the radio off. I have gotten used to it already.

Thanks, AutoX, for the detailed posts and e-mails. See ya around.

Old August 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM   #20
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by jonwrong View Post
Honestly, it is still noisy, but I must that the it is A LOT quieter. I cannot hear it over the radio at all whereas before I heard enough to want to turn the radio off and listen. I can only hear it sometimes with the radio off. I have gotten used to it already.

Thanks, AutoX, for the detailed posts and e-mails. See ya around.
Thanks for the update, next time I change I'll try the stuff

6.96 @ 102 1/8th mile
Best 60', 1.43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/175765-eaton-detroit-tru-trac-issues-need-user-info.html
Posted By For Type Date
Experience With Trutrac Differential - Page 5 - Corner-Carvers Forums This thread Refback January 8th, 2012 12:21 PM
08' ranger SAS build up - Page 19 - Ford Ranger Forum - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource This thread Refback January 28th, 2011 03:23 PM
Experience With Trutrac Differential - Page 5 - Corner-Carvers Forums This thread Refback December 17th, 2010 07:40 PM
Experience With Trutrac Differential - Page 5 - Corner-Carvers Forums This thread Refback December 16th, 2010 08:56 PM
Experience With Trutrac Differential - Page 5 - Corner-Carvers Forums This thread Refback December 16th, 2010 07:39 PM
08' ranger SAS build up - Page 19 - Ford Ranger Forum - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource This thread Pingback September 16th, 2010 10:37 PM

Threads Similar to: Eaton/Detroit Tru Trac Issues *NEED user info*
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tru trac the true strength ? SilverGT04 99 - 04 2 March 11th, 2010 01:06 PM
Detriot Tru Trac UPRNewEdge 99 - 04 10 February 8th, 2010 12:21 PM
How tuff is a Tru TRac SilverGT04 99 - 04 10 February 4th, 2010 05:36 PM
Detriot Tru-Trac jdy2kgt 99 - 04 1 April 9th, 2008 03:14 PM