Bad brakes, one wheel locks up
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

01KnightRiderGT has a spectacular aura about01KnightRiderGT has a spectacular aura about01KnightRiderGT has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to 01KnightRiderGT

Bad brakes, one wheel locks up

Hey gals/guys. Only my front right (passenger) wheel locks up when I firmly apply the brakes. Yes my traction control is out, and ABS as well. Already checked my lines for any pinches or misplaced bends. Any other areas I should check?? All stock brake components with 95K. THANKS

Black Stang Member #13
315's Crew Founder

My Track Videos
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Abyssinian of AX

'02 Saleen
19.34@42.259

Jazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant future

Could be a bad caliper or pads that is binding, as I had this happen to me in my ol' '72 Vega

It could also be more tire wear, a poor contact patch or road conditions leading to the lock up. If not sure, swap the front wheels and take it for another drive and test it out.

Jazzer

Un-Official Suspension Guide | Choosing a new tire | Brakes upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down | T-3650 ~ T-56 swap | Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide | The Kitty makes front page news
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
It would still be fun to have a truck that poops speed bumps in fast succession.
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

01KnightRiderGT has a spectacular aura about01KnightRiderGT has a spectacular aura about01KnightRiderGT has a spectacular aura about

The right tire always locks up, no mater what condition the road is, does it always on wet roads, dry roads, and grass. Both tires seem to have approximately the same thread depth, going to swap pads, and wheels when I get home today. Just some process of elimination.

If the caliper were bad, wouldn’t it show signs of leakage around the cylinders, as I don’t see any fluids leaking from the caliper.

Black Stang Member #13
315's Crew Founder

My Track Videos

Last edited by 01KnightRiderGT; July 26th, 2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Abyssinian of AX

'02 Saleen
19.34@42.259

Jazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant future

Not necessarily

Years ago, when driving my Vega in the HS days. I had started noticing my car was pulling to the left on occasion. I was a dumb kid, so didn't pick up on the importance right away. One time, while driving down the highway on a hill, this began happening for a minute or two (of course, I was "fighting" the wheel and holding wheel a bit to the right to curb the pulling). When I hit the brakes, due to traffic ahead, the car pulled VERY hard to the right (remember I am holding the wheel to the right at this moment!) and then back to the left when I released the brakes. You can imagine how dangerous this could be

I found that my caliper was not leaking, but the piston was just jammed a bit and would not consistantly retract upon releasing the brakes. When it would "jam", I would have partial brake applied to the drivers wheel only and hence the pulling. When I would hit the brakes, the passenger side would grab much better due to heat-soak on the drivers side. This could be potentially pretty dangerous, so check her out good and PROVE the problem before you continue to drive.

Jazzer

EDIT: I had checked the rotor right away and found the drivers side to be VERY hot due to the binding caliper

Un-Official Suspension Guide | Choosing a new tire | Brakes upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down | T-3650 ~ T-56 swap | Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide | The Kitty makes front page news
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
It would still be fun to have a truck that poops speed bumps in fast succession.

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; July 26th, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

hmmm, going to have to check the caliper then, thanks

Black Stang Member #13
315's Crew Founder

My Track Videos
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Guydudebro

2007 Mustang GT
No Track, No Time

TheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!

Calipers can stick or become completely seized without having a leak anywhere.

Also, if your abs is malfunctioning, that could cause an issue. Another aspect of this to consider is, under how much pedal pressure is this happening? If you have to stand on it to make this happen, it would be perfectly normal for one of the wheels, particularly the right rear, to lock up first due to weight transfer. When you smash on the brake pedal, the car lunges forward, transferring a great deal of it's weight momentarily to the front of the vehicle. And the right rear is quite often the one that becomes 'unloaded' first, which makes it easier for it to lock up.

So if that's the case, it could very well be that nothing is wrong with your brakes.

If this lockup is happening during normal braking, then disregard everything I just wrote and go cheeck your calipers and fix your abs. lol

Originally Posted by SwAZy McScrotum View Post
Yup. I want your hot, thick, loaf in my mouth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/175945-bad-brakes-one-wheel-locks-up.html
Posted By For Type Date
almost died. - RateMyBody This thread Refback December 19th, 2010 03:12 PM

Threads Similar to: Bad brakes, one wheel locks up
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bad wheel bearing syccmayde 96 - 98 4 April 24th, 2010 04:59 PM
Bad Wheel Bearing? McQueen V6 Mustangs 15 March 26th, 2010 01:45 PM
termi rear brakes w/15" track wheel? drazga97 4V / SVT 17 February 24th, 2010 02:35 PM
Help with Wheel Locks blally89 2005 - 2010 12 January 13th, 2010 11:08 AM
F*** Wheel Locks 01 GT 99 - 04 16 February 7th, 2008 11:42 PM