2 valve cylinder head removal and install
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #1

stangempire82 is on a distinguished road

2 valve cylinder head removal and install

any tech bulletins out there for removing and installing cylinder heads on a 2 valve
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

When I did it I went out and bought a chillton manual it helped me out.

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #3
ajm
Banned

ajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud of

remove mid pipe, plugs, coils, injectors, fuel rails, tb/plenum, power steering pump, belt, intake manifold, valve covers, crank pulley, timing cover (and needed idler pully(s)

set engine to "safe mode"

remove timing chain tensioners, guides, cams

remove heads

reinstall torqing everything to spec/sequence and using assembly lube. You can find the torque specs/sequences online.

half decent set of metric sockets, in and ft lb torque wrench, and a flat or flex ratchet wrench for one of the ps pump bolts is all you really need if youre limited on tools
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #4

jivepepper is just really nicejivepepper is just really nicejivepepper is just really nicejivepepper is just really nice

There's lot's of resources on the net just takes some searching. I still have never bought a repair manual for my car and it's been 10 years.

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #5
MM Fanatic

1999 Mustang GT

hardhitter is a jewel in the roughhardhitter is a jewel in the roughhardhitter is a jewel in the roughhardhitter is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to hardhitter

Originally Posted by ajm View Post
remove mid pipe, plugs, coils, injectors, fuel rails, tb/plenum, power steering pump, belt, intake manifold, valve covers, crank pulley, timing cover (and needed idler pully(s)

set engine to "safe mode"

remove timing chain tensioners, guides, cams

remove heads

reinstall torqing everything to spec/sequence and using assembly lube. You can find the torque specs/sequences online.

half decent set of metric sockets, in and ft lb torque wrench, and a flat or flex ratchet wrench for one of the ps pump bolts is all you really need if youre limited on tools
What about headers?

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #6
ajm
Banned

ajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud of

i was waiting for someone to say that, shorties will lift right out with the heads, and considering most dont have long tubes i didnt bother
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #7
MM Fanatic

1999 Mustang GT

hardhitter is a jewel in the roughhardhitter is a jewel in the roughhardhitter is a jewel in the roughhardhitter is a jewel in the rough

but im screwed with long tubes right?

Old July 28th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #8
ajm
Banned

yea youll have to pull them. thats one of the main reasons i wont get lt. i dont wanna fool with dropping the k and pulling headers for a quick few hr head swap
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 3V GT/2007 GT D/D
corner carver

mustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the roughmustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the roughmustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the roughmustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the rough

books are cheap, look online for them. Dont forget to unbolt the heads in the right sequence as well. You can actualy warp the block during the procedure.

REAR SEAT DELETE FABRICATOR
"RSD pics in garage"
2010 Shelby GT500 DD/99 3V GT
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #10
MM Fanatic

1999 Mustang GT

yea youll have to pull them. thats one of the main reasons i wont get lt. i dont wanna fool with dropping the k and pulling headers for a quick few hr head swap
i know i kind of wish i never got them.. i really want to do heads

Old July 28th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #11
ajm
Banned

no reason not to, theyll just add a couple hours to what would be a quick 3-4 hour job w/o them
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #12
MM Fanatic

1999 Mustang GT

I think it would take like 5 times longer than that for me to take the headers off and back on. I can't even see half of the bolts.

Old July 28th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #13
ajm
Banned

Drop the k member and youll have easy straight up access to them for the most part.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #14
MM Fanatic

1999 Mustang GT

I can really take the k member off and both headers and put it all back together in about 2 hours?

Old July 28th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 3V GT/2007 GT D/D
corner carver

mustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the roughmustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the roughmustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the roughmustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the rough

I couldnt even imagine doing it while in the car.

REAR SEAT DELETE FABRICATOR
"RSD pics in garage"
2010 Shelby GT500 DD/99 3V GT
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #16

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

dannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to beholddannyboy281 is a splendid one to behold

I never pulled my SLP LT's out or dropped my K-member when I took off my heads and reinstalled them. Im not sure if you remember me bitching of what a pita it was to bolt back on the LT's, I even had to heat up bend and grind some open end 10mm wrenches to get the job done. I got to admit though I had fun taking her apart.

MGW, MAC Offroad X, Flowmaster Original 40's, Maganaflow 3.5" Tips, Anthracite 18x9's & 18x10's FR 500's wrapped with Nitto 555's, Eibach Pro Kit,

Last edited by dannyboy281; July 28th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #17
MM Fanatic

1999 Mustang GT

If you installed the long tubes while the heads were off then why were they hard to put back on?

Old July 28th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #18
Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT
11.85 @ 125

Mustang46 has a spectacular aura aboutMustang46 has a spectacular aura about

There are only 8 bolts holding the k-member to the chassis and of course motor mounts.

I am so glad I got a tubular k-member. Made alot easier to get to things.
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #19
MM Fanatic

1999 Mustang GT

How do you keep the motor from falling out or shifting position?

Old July 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #20

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1
At the speed of sex

Originally Posted by hardhitter View Post
If you installed the long tubes while the heads were off then why were they hard to put back on?
I didnt install them when the heads were off. I had already previously installed them. So when the heads were back on again I had to rebolt the LTs to the heads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 2 valve cylinder head removal and install
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tune needed after cylinder head install??? delgadog 94-95 25 June 4th, 2009 02:31 PM
Ignition Cylinder Removal SteviGX 99 - 04 12 July 10th, 2008 10:53 PM
Hatchback Lock Cylinder Removal imported_Gt_Jay 5.0 Mustangs 5 December 9th, 2007 12:47 AM
Cylinder heads removal help... 99v6stang V6 Mustangs 12 July 26th, 2007 11:05 PM
3-VALVE RH CYLINDER HEAD TDog 2005 - 2010 0 February 22nd, 2007 04:10 PM