best cam
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Regular

2000 mustang GT

jwhezzy2003 is on a distinguished road

best cam

i have 2000 mustang gt stock block and heads. I have full bolt on's minus the longtube headers. What is the best cam to this date to use going N/A?
remember i have a stock block and heads. I heard about hitech stage 2 cams but is their any other cam that my be better or are those the best for $600.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

BakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud of

U heard hitech because a bunch of peeps ride their dick and are slow. I've seen the hp292 blower cams make more power n/a than those cams. Just sayn

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
Procharger D1sc at 20+ psi
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Tune/numbers coming shortly!!
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Regular

2004 Mustang GT

04Kennebell is on a distinguished road

I don't know best to date. I know a lot of n/a guys running the comp 270's and have had good results with them. They sound damn good. Try american muscle they generally have good reviews on products.
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #4
ajm
Banned

ajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BakerFX4 View Post
U heard hitech because a bunch of peeps ride their dick and are slow. I've seen the hp292 blower cams make more power n/a than those cams. Just sayn
. Theres plenty out there that are just as good and better than the hitechs. Might wanna look into valve springs as well.

Last edited by ajm; August 29th, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #5
MM Fanatic

2004 Mustang GT
12.88 @ 109.45 N/A

tbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to all

CMS Stage 2 N/A cams.......nuff said.

Borla "Stinger" Exhaust Vids
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Regular

2003 Mustang GT
14.16 @99.03

silver03gt is on a distinguished road

Id go with Comp Cams or Crower.

My 2v build - MMR 1000 rotating assembly, Stage 3 heads/cams, 76mm turbo. Shooting for 700+rwhp.
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Baker Jr.

2002 Mustang GT
Coming after build!!

bandity2k00 is just really nicebandity2k00 is just really nicebandity2k00 is just really nicebandity2k00 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to bandity2k00

HP cams are the ticket

D1SC 24LBS BOOST, MMR 900, STAGE 2 HEADS, HP292 CAMS, EDDY INTAKE WITH 6061 PLENUM, BUILT C4 AUTO, MOSER REAR.
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #8
MM Fanatic

2003 Mustang GT
14.03@100

I8ACMRO has a spectacular aura aboutI8ACMRO has a spectacular aura aboutI8ACMRO has a spectacular aura about

Everything is better then HiTechs.

I would personally go w/ CMS, Crower, or Houston Performance (HP). Also, Modular Head Shop (MHS) is somewhere else to look at.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-member-30498/

Originally Posted by RZNCAIN View Post
Drive the shit out of it and replace shit when it breaks. No point in having these things if we are going to drive them like a bunch of pussies!
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Enthusiast

therat1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha there is literally too many to choose from. If only there were an extensive list showing the gains of each one. I too am wanting Cams soon and know that Hitechs are a waste.

1/8mile 8.71@80mph on street tires.
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #10
MM Fanatic

2004 Mustang GT
12.88 @ 109.45 N/A

tbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to alltbirdscwd is a name known to all

CMS/VT cams are what a lot of the fastest N/A 2v mustangs run. I wouldn't really go any other way unless you got a great deal on the cams....and since new cams are less than $600, you would have to get them basically for free to sacrifice in performance IMO.

Old August 29th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #11

BakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud of

HP 292's are 450 bucks.

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Old August 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #12
MM Fanatic

2004 Mustang GT
12.88 @ 109.45 N/A

HP 292's are 450 bucks.
Do you know of any N/A 2v mustang worth noting that runs those cams? Seriously. I have heard of the cams, but have never seen any results as to why someone should go with them over products that have proven themselves time and time again.

Old August 29th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #13
MM Fanatic

2003 Mustang GT
14.03@100

I8ACMRO has a spectacular aura aboutI8ACMRO has a spectacular aura aboutI8ACMRO has a spectacular aura about

Jesus tbird, you sound like all the other nut-huggers that are on HiTechs. CMS isn't the best either. It all comes down to the tune, NOT necessarily the cams...

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-member-30498/

Originally Posted by RZNCAIN View Post
Drive the shit out of it and replace shit when it breaks. No point in having these things if we are going to drive them like a bunch of pussies!
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #14
MM Fanatic

2004 Mustang GT
12.88 @ 109.45 N/A

Originally Posted by I8ACMRO View Post
Jesus tbird, you sound like all the other nut-huggers that are on HiTechs. CMS isn't the best either. It all comes down to the tune, NOT necessarily the cams...
There is no "best cam" obviously. Honestly all the cams that are in the "stage 2" realm will produce withing a few peak hp of each other especially on stock heads. But peak hp is not all that is important. For a street driven car it is a better idea (IMO) to select a cam that is a balance between streetability, and peformance at the track.

And BTW, tuning will also only cover up a cam's deficiencies to a point. If a cam makes shit for power and torque down low, there is not much tuning is gonna do to improve this.

Old August 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #15
Baker Jr.

2002 Mustang GT
Coming after build!!

bandity2k00 is just really nicebandity2k00 is just really nicebandity2k00 is just really nicebandity2k00 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to bandity2k00

I just did a All stock 99 GT with k&n intake and bbk x pipe and slp cat back with some HP cams made 293rwhp on a dyno jet.

My car made 415rwhp with 9lbs of boost and so conservative where it burns my eyes. In the 10s with my air fuel ratio

D1SC 24LBS BOOST, MMR 900, STAGE 2 HEADS, HP292 CAMS, EDDY INTAKE WITH 6061 PLENUM, BUILT C4 AUTO, MOSER REAR.
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #16
MM Fanatic

2004 Mustang GT
12.88 @ 109.45 N/A

Oh, and baker.....Steve over at Houston Performance has a wicked 2v running SVO heads. I haven't heard of anything he is running on the PI heads. But then again, I haven't done too much research into HP

Old August 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #17
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Hawaiianbro will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Hawaiianbro

HP, MHS, Comp, Crower, CMS are great companies to look at but the thing to as in choosing cams is the specs.

Where do you want to go being N/A do you want power up hi, mid, or low?
Also do you want more hp or more tq gains?
Also talk with the companies or performance shops as well look at the specs of cams.

Cause some cams can get you an equal gain in hp and tq gains which may not be as much to those where you could lose some tq gain more hp or lose alot of tq down low but gain alot of hp and or vise versa.
B&M Short Shifter / Ford Heavy Duty Clutch / 3.73 gears / Nitto Drag Radials / Steeda CAI / Diablo Tuned / Mac LT Headers / Lethal Cated Xpipe / Pypes Exhaust / Smoked headlights and Tail lights / GT floor mats / PP 70mm TB / Accufab Plenum
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #18

Steve is a IDIOT and i dont give a damn what he says. The only good thing about that shop is their cams. They oughta give me commission as hard as i have pushed their cams and sold for them. Steve is an idiot and their tuner, Chris, is even more retarded for thinking he is a tuner.

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Old August 29th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 mustang gt
13.86@ 100.5

Applehead281 will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with baker on this one, i used to be on the hitech wagon as well, but the hp292's are the way to go and if u want to go FI later you will already have your setup

The usual bolt on's..
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #20

im not trying to say they are the BEST... just saying its not even a N/A cam and it produces better than those. Unix also got rediculous gains from installing them prior to being supercharged. They are a good grind. The hi techs just seem to be referenced to yet nobody with them is producing alot of power. Those cams with ported heads still have a hard time producing what Bandits example produced without the ported heads. Just trying to help peeps go faster. Not talking down on the hi techs or anything. I also like the cms cams pretty descent as they have done better than hi techs for sure.

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: best cam
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what makes a cam more lopey/choppy cam? 87superduperstang 5.0 Mustangs 43 June 29th, 2010 11:59 AM
Cam installation - Comp cam stage II Dolbs4082 99 - 04 4 February 28th, 2009 10:36 PM
E cam or F cam horsepower and 1/4 mile time questions GreyGhost 5.0 Mustangs 1 August 21st, 2006 06:25 PM