GMS 'shark' plenum - fin removal? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old September 17th, 2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

GMS 'shark' plenum - fin removal?

So I picked up a Granatelli shark plenum along with a 70mm TB yesterday, hope to install this weekend - time and gaskets permitting...

My question - The top of the plenum has a shiny cover plate that comes off, and reveals the 'shark' fins inside. These are each held on by a pair of screws from the top.
I see on the crown vic forums that most people with this plenum end up removing the 'fins' and saying they could 'feel' a difference.

Anyone here remove the fins from theirs?

I'm thinking of taking them out, and tapping the holes so I don't need a nut on the back to hold them to the lid.

Also, did anyone need to buy any hose adapaters? 'T's? I see some peeps had to buy some adapters to make it work, but I'm not sure why. If someone could enlighten me I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

GMS intake & plenum, 70mm frpp tb, UPR ss w/rockcrusher, UPR o/r X, frpp 3.73s, Predator'd
boringly stock........but running well
LZR RED CREW#15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old September 17th, 2010, 10:26 PM
mm's nitrous mod

i ran the GMS plenum and liked it. i kept the fins, theory is to help direct the air at lower air speeds. not sure why people would have to get a T fitting, shouldnt need one. just make sure the plenum is for your year range because GMS plenums have the pcv adapter a solid fixture to the plenum. other aftermarket companies have a changable fitting for either the large or small pcv line.

project warhorse under construction
wagon burner built! track times coming soon!(04 lightning)

being built by MP2 Performance
follow shop builds on facebook at: MP2 Performance
post #3 of 6 Old September 19th, 2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, I couldn't find much on mustangs using these.

I installed mine this weekend, and kept the fins in. It's a nice looking piece, but I frown on the two piece design. I used a liberal amount of rtv, but cleaned it up so it didn't look like crap.

I'm going to put a little 'review thread together shortly, but it does feel like a positive seat of the pants gain.

GMS intake & plenum, 70mm frpp tb, UPR ss w/rockcrusher, UPR o/r X, frpp 3.73s, Predator'd
LZR RED CREW#15
post #4 of 6 Old September 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Regular

Im running the same set up you just got with a C&L intake and a stack racing plenum spacer. My car breaths deep and it sounds like a turbo spooling(i wish) I like it, people say the granettelli stuff is garbage but i like the plenum.

1997 Mustang GT
04 PI 2V, bolt ons, gears, tune
255/292

www.covertmotorsports.net
post #5 of 6 Old September 20th, 2010, 09:10 PM
mm's nitrous mod

GMS stuff is good stuff. i have ran their products for a long time, and still do. there are some of their stuff i would change a thing or 2 about but in general, their stuff is good.

as for the 2pc design, i didnt use any silicone or anything on mine. i never had any type of issue what so ever.

project warhorse under construction
wagon burner built! track times coming soon!(04 lightning)

being built by MP2 Performance
follow shop builds on facebook at: MP2 Performance
post #6 of 6 Old September 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEET2KSTANG View Post
GMS stuff is good stuff. i have ran their products for a long time, and still do. there are some of their stuff i would change a thing or 2 about but in general, their stuff is good.

as for the 2pc design, i didnt use any silicone or anything on mine. i never had any type of issue what so ever.
I've seen people get away with no silicone, but then I've seen pics of that top piece not being long enough to mate up to the front of the plenum (if that makes sense). Mine was good, but I could still see daylight through that part, so i went ahead and gooped it up to be on the safe side.

So far so good. My high idle had actually settled down, and basically zero issues at this point.

I also have the GMS inlet tube, nice looking piece.

LZR RED CREW#15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page