Want to change out my upper radiator hose but have a question...
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT
2011 MM Chick of the Year February 2011 ROTM

tinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud of

Want to change out my upper radiator hose but have a question...

I want to change my upper radiator hose and replace it with a cool-flex style hose (more eye catching for a show car...and because I'm a girl and think it's prettier ) Is there anything special that I need to do to make sure we don't end up with any air pockets? I had a friend mention before that Mustangs can be a little trickier than alot of other cars and wasn't sure how much truth there was behind that. So if you guys could let me know if it's just straight forward...swap the hose, open the radiator, fill it back up, run the car, wait for the thermostat to kick in to burp the radiator....I would appreciate it

"Live with no regrets, treat people the way you want to be treated, work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching"...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

Cool Flex is the Radiator Hose that flows
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #3
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

stal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud of

be sure to drain out some water out of your radiator first. you dont want water going down your spark plug holes. the drain is on the passenger side lower radiator. looks like a white plastic bolt. then after you fill it up let the car warm up. then let it cool off. refill and take it for a short drive to make sure you got the air bubles out. the more hot and cold cycles you go threw the better chances of getting all the air out
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #4
ajm
Banned

ajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud of

Let the car cool, replace it, start the car and let it get up to temp, add if needed, go for a drive, then add more if needed.

VERY simple cars when it comes to adding coolant/antifreeze/water/whatever youd like to call it. Not like working on a bmw, audi, infinity, etc.

Thats all thats needed if youre just replacing the upper hose.
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #5
MM Fanatic

Terminator
11.23@124

bottled2v is a name known to allbottled2v is a name known to allbottled2v is a name known to allbottled2v is a name known to allbottled2v is a name known to allbottled2v is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to bottled2v

what i like to do is top it off, let it idle up to around operating temp, then i like to rev it up to around 2500 for 30 seconds, then let it idle for another minute, and repeat this one or two more times, all with the overflow cap off. i've had good luck with this method and never had an air pocket afterwords.

'03 cobra- ported/pullied, bolt ons, built sra w/ 3.73s, 70 shot, wot box- 11.2@125
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Hooo Ha Ha

1997 Mustang GT
10.149 @ 131.69

sharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to sharkbait

Burp the hose

which means start it up and squeeze it. Have the reservoir cap open. When you burp it the level should go down. When it stops going down theres no more air bubbles

560rwhp 640rwtq @ 13psi
75mm Turbo 5.4 swap E85
#turbo2v

10.11 @ 138mph STOCK LONGBLOCK

www.JPCracing.com 410-729-0005 ext. 11

PM me if you need any parts or advice!
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

tinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Burp the hose

which means start it up and squeeze it. Have the reservoir cap open. When you burp it the level should go down. When it stops going down theres no more air bubbles
Cool Flex is a hard metal hose..I can't squeeze it...

"Live with no regrets, treat people the way you want to be treated, work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching"...
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

Thanks everyone for your replies....I will be installing it in the next few days

Old November 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #9

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

stal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud of

please remeber to drain some fulid out first. about 1 gallon. i dont want to see another post about water getting in spark plugs. letting your car go threw the hot and cold cycles will burp the system fine.
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Hooo Ha Ha

1997 Mustang GT
10.149 @ 131.69

sharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to sharkbait

Originally Posted by tinkerbell_too View Post
Cool Flex is a hard metal hose..I can't squeeze it...
Get the clear radiator hose and just run red radiator fluid or something lol

560rwhp 640rwtq @ 13psi
75mm Turbo 5.4 swap E85
#turbo2v

10.11 @ 138mph STOCK LONGBLOCK

www.JPCracing.com 410-729-0005 ext. 11

PM me if you need any parts or advice!
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by stal94gt View Post
please remeber to drain some fulid out first. about 1 gallon. i dont want to see another post about water getting in spark plugs. letting your car go threw the hot and cold cycles will burp the system fine.
Ok I will....but out of curiosity, how does the fluid get into the spark plug holes??

Old November 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #12
ajm
Banned

ajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud ofajm has much to be proud of

^ go from the manifold forward and youll have no issue.

Disconnect from the thermostat housing, hold the hose up wards at a 90 or so to where it kinks it at the radiator, disconnect at the radiator and problem solved for the most part.
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #13

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

this is the drain plug, the spout lets water out real slow so you dont drain everything, its so easy to drain the water out. if coolant gets everywhere it drys white and crusty and if you want to show your car it is a pain to clean it all off.

Old November 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #14

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

Originally Posted by tinkerbell_too View Post
Ok I will....but out of curiosity, how does the fluid get into the spark plug holes??
When you just pull the thurmostat housing off or even just the hose its self water pours out every where and for some stupid reason the spark plug holes is where the water ends up
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #15
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by stal94gt View Post
When you just pull the thurmostat housing off or even just the hose its self water pours out every where and for some stupid reason the spark plug holes is where the water ends up
Ok gotcha. Thank you

Reps given to all who replied....

Old November 8th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #16
ajm
Banned

:scratches head:

Why is everyone getting on the bandwagon of draining the radiator when just replacing the upper hose?

Disconnect the upper hose, lose a couple oz's hell maybe even a couple cups to a quart if you wanna get technical, remove it from the opposite end, put your new one on, check levels at idle/temp, go for a quick ride, recheck levels, and youre good to go. No need to drain the radiator to do the upper hose.
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #17

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

i never told the person to drain the whole thing just about a gallon. refilling it is cheap and i have always made a mess just pulling the hose off. the car is going to be used for show so why not take the care and make sure to keep the mess off. by using the drain you can control how much comes out very easily.
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #18
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt
11.79@115.83 (old set up)

SWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud of

take it out, drive hard as you can, shut off car, imediately change the hose without gloves or face sheild or body suit or proper tools

actually, just change it when engine is cool. i dont see reason to drain the hose, just pop it off, and put new one on. if you concerned about any mess, then go ahead and drain out just a little bit. as for refilling, the 2v's dont have the air pocket issue like the 4v's do. just pour-n-go.

project warhorse under construction
wagon burner built! track times coming soon!(04 lightning)

being built by MP2 Performance
follow shop builds on facebook at: MP2 Performance
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #19
MM Fanatic

2003 GT

Novanutcase is a splendid one to beholdNovanutcase is a splendid one to beholdNovanutcase is a splendid one to beholdNovanutcase is a splendid one to beholdNovanutcase is a splendid one to beholdNovanutcase is a splendid one to beholdNovanutcase is a splendid one to behold

If you're going for a super bling radiator hose than it has to be this one:

John
SOLD - '03 GT, Max Moto Max Grip Box, Wilwood SL 6 front/DL4 rear Big Brake Kit, Corbeau Seats, MGW Short Shifter, MAC Long Tube Headers/Prochamber mid/ Flowmaster 40, FRPP 4.10, TrickFlow Diff Cover/75mm TB/Plenum, Eaton Posi, Moser 31 spl Axles
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #20
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by Novanutcase View Post
If you're going for a super bling radiator hose than it has to be this one:

John
If I could get coolant to match my car, I would do it...but no Dexcool...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Want to change out my upper radiator hose but have a question...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
radiator hose extension xXJayManZXx17 99 - 04 7 July 8th, 2010 04:46 PM
upper radiator hose Yur2slo 2005 - 2010 17 December 30th, 2009 03:36 PM
Radiator Hose nHuman 96 - 98 3 October 2nd, 2008 05:19 PM
metal radiator hose? 91cobra5.0 5.0 Mustangs 7 May 25th, 2008 04:01 PM
01 stang gt Radiator Hose Kit ? RanGer498 99 - 04 0 March 1st, 2008 07:31 PM