Engine noise on cold morning start up
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Premium Member

2004 Mustang GT

cedsks will become famous soon enoughcedsks will become famous soon enough

Engine noise on cold morning start up

I have a remote start on my stang, I went out to start it and noticed a very slight tick noice that went away after about 5 mins of idle.

I just changed the oil with 5 qts of 5-20 royal purple and lucas synth to top it off. Is this just normal in the snow covered car and cold weather or do I have the beginings of engine failure?

This is the first time I have noticed this sound on start up, its about 14F out side.

49k on my clock right now
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

Stang187 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cedsks View Post
I have a remote start on my stang, I went out to start it and noticed a very slight tick noice that went away after about 5 mins of idle.

I just changed the oil with 5 qts of 5-20 royal purple and lucas synth to top it off. Is this just normal in the snow covered car and cold weather or do I have the beginings of engine failure?

This is the first time I have noticed this sound on start up, its about 14F out side.

49k on my clock right now
Normal. It's freezing outside and these engines take for ever to warm up especially in the winter.

Why do you use lucas additive, I would think Royal purple alone would be good enough.

If I were you though I would start using 5w30 instead of 5w20 if you prefer a longer living engine over a non-noticeable increase in gas mileage.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Regular

2004 Mustang Gt
13.17@106.7 1.8 60ft

sl04gt will become famous soon enough

+1 stang187

couple of bolt-ons and bolt-offs
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4
a.k.a. Racecougar

2004 Mustang GT

Tang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant future

I agree that the Lucas additive is a waste at the least. If you do a search on it over at BITOG you'll see quite a few negative things posted about it, the worst of which is that it reduces the anti-foaming agents in the oil and allows the oil to "froth" or "foam" up.

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
1990 Mercury Cougar XR7-The Meth Addict-5.0L DOHC Stroker w/2.1L KB SC.
1995 Ford F150-Mud Toy-5.0L, 4x4, 33's, & Warn 8274 Winch
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #5

2002 Mustang GT

JM0523 is on a distinguished road

The lucas is like glue and all its doing is thickening the hell out of your oil until it warms up, i would attribute the thicker oil on startup to the noise your hearing, i would try just plain royal purple next time and see if it still makes the noise upon startup.
02 Mustang GT M5- MMS SFC'S, Fidanza Clutch, 3.90's, Accel Coils, C&L Plenum, C&L Tube, Accufab 75mm, K&N, Steeda Tri Axe, X Pipe, Magnapacks, Predator, Venom Nitrous, Eibach Springs, Eibach Shocks, Classic Shaker, 315 Kumho XS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Engine noise on cold morning start up
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air-sucking noise at start up/cold eng. after cia install PacificMustang01 V6 Mustangs 22 July 10th, 2010 03:25 PM
Cold Start Noise OcOnnor220 99 - 04 0 January 8th, 2008 12:46 PM
Cold Start Idle Noise OcOnnor220 99 - 04 0 January 4th, 2008 02:10 AM
4.6 cold start engine knock jasons_98gt 96 - 98 8 July 7th, 2007 04:08 PM
engine wouldnt start and noise 232stang V6 Mustangs 13 March 3rd, 2007 04:55 PM