Battery Light/Service engine soon light
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
eeeee!

2003 Mustang GT

Genevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Genevieve!

Battery Light/Service engine soon light

Yesterday, I sat in an assload of traffic going to and from Disneyland.

On the way home after sitting in a bit of traffic my battery light came on, flickered, went out, came back on, flickered on and off and then stayed off.

Then about 15 minutes later my Service engine soon light came on. ( and is still on)

Pulling into my drive way this morning after a grocery run, The battery light is now on solid, along with my Service engine light.

Is is possible these two things are related?

I have a scanner but I can't scan my car until tonight.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Regular

2002 Mustang GT 4.6L

PhxMustang is on a distinguished road

10 to 1 bad alternator.

Steeda UDP, K&N CAI, FlowMasters 40’s, Polly Mounts, Aluminum D/S, Chrome Moly Flywheel, Centerforce DF, MM (quad, cable, adj.), Lakewood LCA’s, MM FLSFC’s, Predator canned 93 tune, Wheels 2010 Black GT500 18x9 front 18x10 rear
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM   #3
eeeee!

2003 Mustang GT

Genevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud ofGenevieve! has much to be proud of

would a bad alternator cause the service engine soon light to come on though? for some reason I thought the check engine light only came on if a sensor was going bad or misreading.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Bringing Yellow Back

2002 mustang gt
12.2 at 117

zinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to zinc-vert02

im going to guess alternator also

Stock long block 2v, stock trans, 100 shot of go fast gas. 315hp and 430 trq on spray
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Regular

2002 Mustang GT 4.6L

PhxMustang is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
would a bad alternator cause the service engine soon light to come on though? for some reason I thought the check engine light only came on if a sensor was going bad or misreading.
Simple answer: Yes

Went through two alternators when I first bought my mustang and you have described the symptoms of a failed alternator just hope it hasn’t been going on long enough to fudge your battery. Very simple head over to autozone if you have them in your area have them test. Aright its bad now swap it out in the parking lot so you can get your core charge back plus they can charge up your battery while you work on your car. Hey...that’s what I did (-:

Steeda UDP, K&N CAI, FlowMasters 40’s, Polly Mounts, Aluminum D/S, Chrome Moly Flywheel, Centerforce DF, MM (quad, cable, adj.), Lakewood LCA’s, MM FLSFC’s, Predator canned 93 tune, Wheels 2010 Black GT500 18x9 front 18x10 rear
Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

'02 GT 5spd

ZenMGT will become famous soon enoughZenMGT will become famous soon enough

I don't believe in the 'load' test AZ does can truly detect a bad alternator. They hook it up while it's in the car, at that point you're load testing the battery (unless the battery is toast also). - I could be wrong though - but every time I've had a bad alternator, they would test it, and say it's good - as the battery was good at the time. The best way is to remove the alternator, and have it bench tested.

Honestly though,,,removing the alty takes all of 5 mins, so just swap it out. I'm about to go get my 2nd AZ reman alty - the one I got a couple months ago pops my battery light every day for a few miles till it warms up.
LZR RED CREW#15
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

cliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
When the battery voltage is low (below 10.5V officially however anything below 11.0V is bad) many sensors will start to return values that are out of acceptable bounds--this can trigger power train related (Pxxx) DTCs.
PP 70mm TB & plenum, Ralco RZ_flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

new ride - 1998 SL500, 5.0L 32V 326/347 HP/tq
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM   #8
eeeee!

2003 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
When the battery voltage is low (below 10.5V officially however anything below 11.0V is bad) many sensors will start to return values that are out of acceptable bounds--this can trigger power train related (Pxxx) DTCs.

ahhh, That totally makes sense. Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM   #9
eeeee!

2003 Mustang GT

The only code the reader came up with was "Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control"
Old February 12th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #10

rangel515 is on a distinguished road

i had a question about this.
i had installed a new alternator and new battery and the battery light comes on once the car is started and goes off after acouple of miles driving it.
what can be the cause of this? my grandpa tells me its the terminals cause they look old.

if anyone knows how i can solve this problem please let me know
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

cliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant future

Listen to your grandfather and check that the battery terminals are solid. Also check the ground connection to the block, just behind the oil filter adapter--that connection is know to get corroded and/or loose as these cars age...
PP 70mm TB & plenum, Ralco RZ_flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

Old February 12th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #12

ok. will do. the terminals have small type holes on them. the part that goes on the battery post. the terminals are still tight though.

and the ground connection is under the car behind the oil filter? am i looking for a wire connected to the car with a bolt?
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rangel515 View Post
ok. will do. the terminals have small type holes on them. the part that goes on the battery post. the terminals are still tight though.
Are they the stock terminal connectors?

One thing you can do is measure the voltage between the negative battery post (the actual lead post) and the negative connector body, while someone is starting the engine. This will check the voltage drop between the battery post and the connector--it should be 0.0V or very close to it.

Next check the voltage between the battery terminal and the block, again while starting the engine--ideally this should also be 0.0V however it may be as high as 0.5V and still be OK. Anything higher than 1.0V means there is too much resistance in the "ground" connections between the battery and the block; the generator is grounded to the block.

Also, what year is your car?

and the ground connection is under the car behind the oil filter? am i looking for a wire connected to the car with a bolt?
Yes, it is a rather substantial wire, same size as the wires at the battery. To clarify I should have said "to the rear of", not "behind" the oil filter.

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #14

2002 v6
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rangel515 View Post
2002 v6

I am not familiar with the V6, not sure if the same engine grounding point is used, however there will be one, and the voltage measurements described above hold true for any car.

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #16
eeeee!

2003 Mustang GT

The Battery light is STILL coming on, even after I put a new alternator on.

whhhyyy!?!

I'm so mad about this, I just spent almost 220 dollars on a new alternator and a new belt... and it didn't even fix my problem!

Oh I just saw the post about the grounding to the block, I will check that out soon.
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #17
Regular

03 Mustang GT
1/8th: 9.191@77.45

yzdirtbikes144 is on a distinguished road

Check the wires on the connector going into the alternator, sometimes your alternator will be charging fine and the connector will be bad and can cause your batt light to come on when everything is fine. So if you can, have a friend watch your instrument cluster while you wiggle the connector on the alt to see if the light flickers any and check your alt output with a dmm to see what it's output is
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #18
eeeee!

2003 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by yzdirtbikes144 View Post
Check the wires on the connector going into the alternator, sometimes your alternator will be charging fine and the connector will be bad and can cause your batt light to come on when everything is fine. So if you can, have a friend watch your instrument cluster while you wiggle the connector on the alt to see if the light flickers any and check your alt output with a dmm to see what it's output is
I will try that.

It stayed off after I changed my alternator, Until I was driving out to my dads house and I passed a car on a two lane road, dropped it into 3rd and hit 90mph and my light came on, and stayed on.
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #19
Regular

03 Mustang GT
1/8th: 9.191@77.45

yzdirtbikes144 is on a distinguished road

It's also not unheard of to get a bad alt from the parts house. I had a navigator at work one day I put a total of 3 alternators on before we finally got a good one. Frustrating as hell and will have you scratching your head, second guessing your diagnoses and running pinpoint tests over something as simple as the charging system. Be sure you check the output with a multimeter, if it's putting out less than 12.0volts(ideally around 13-14.0v, once you start getting around 15v it's starting to get close to overcharging)with all your accessories turned(so there's a decent load on it) I'd take it back to your parts place and have them warranty it
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #20
eeeee!

2003 Mustang GT

Thanks, I was thinking there was a possibility I got a bad alternator, Ill have to check it out tomorrow sometime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/202463-battery-light-service-engine-soon-light.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread Battery Light/Service engine soon light | Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback June 25th, 2011 11:32 AM
Thread wrench light/Service Soon | GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars | BoardReader This thread Refback May 24th, 2011 01:34 AM

Threads Similar to: Battery Light/Service engine soon light
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service Engine light Squints All Other Vehicles 3 March 5th, 2010 03:41 PM
Service Engine Soon light.... again 04GTNAustin 99 - 04 49 February 28th, 2010 08:48 PM
service engine soon light RC02GT 99 - 04 14 January 25th, 2009 07:42 PM
Service Engine Light Vettefast 2005 - 2010 7 November 27th, 2007 10:48 AM
SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT ROUSHME V6 Mustangs 4 June 15th, 2006 12:31 AM