Smelling coolant, but no leak?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Regular

2011 Mustang GT

ViperGT is on a distinguished road

Smelling coolant, but no leak?

So i replaced my headlights today and after driving around for a while and then adjusting them some more under the hood i got a whiff of coolant...its been like that for the last couple of weeks but thought nothing of it. I only smell it outside of the car and after its been warmed up...there's no visible sign of any leakage and the temp is fine....year or two ago my fan blew and there was coolant everywhere under the hood but its been fixed and hasn't overheated since...could this smell be leftover coolant from 2 years ago still lingering around or something more?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 GT 35th LE

99GT35thLE has a spectacular aura about99GT35thLE has a spectacular aura about

I doubt you're smelling coolant from several years ago.

Could be your radiator cap is beginning to vent slightly.

Drive it like you stole it
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Resident DJ

'01 Cobra Vert.

Lefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond repute

It's an $8 fix. Just replace it and see if it fixes the smell.

2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe (the daily)
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition (the other toy)
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:58 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

stal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud of

or your heater core is leaking. that is very common with our cars. about 40 dollars to fix and a weekend of tearing the dash out.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

dark star is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by stal94gt View Post
or your heater core is leaking. that is very common with our cars. about 40 dollars to fix and a weekend of tearing the dash out.
+1

Also keep an eye on your coolant level for the next couple weeks to see if it is getting lower
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Regular

2011 Mustang GT

thanks for the replies guys,i figured it couldn't be leftover coolant from years ago...ill def try replacing the cap, i started googling it all and went to check my oil to make sure it wasn't showing signs of a blown head gasket, and it wasn't thank God (least i don't think so), i did however notice the oil smelled like gasoline and have been looking that up ever since and im getting two different sides...some people say its normal others are saying def bad piston rings...any ideas on that? i'm thinking of just taking it somewhere tomorrow to get everything checked out...but i hate to spend the money i don't really have on diagnostics if nothing is wrong...better safe than sorry though i guess...
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #7
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

dark star is on a distinguished road

If the oil has a lot of miles on it, it will always smell like gas.
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #8

2002 Mustang GT

doubletap4311 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by stal94gt View Post
he is smelling it OUTSIDE the car
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 GT 35th LE

99GT35thLE has a spectacular aura about99GT35thLE has a spectacular aura about

If you're really concerned about your oil, change the oil/filter, drive the car a thousand miles then send in an oil sample to one of the test labs. They can give you a complete analysis. I would do that before you start going to shops and asking them what they think. They will think you don't know shit and will immediately see dollar signs.

Drive it like you stole it
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Regular

2011 Mustang GT

So i got everything checked out today, went to firestone bc im no mechanic by any means, they did a compression test and couldn't find a leak anywhere, said the heater core was good and everything was on point....they smelled the coolant too and i mentioned the radiator cap and they said it looks a little worn and could probably be the culprit but all in all nothing serious, whew....also they said i have a slight leak around the oil filter gasket which is why im smelling gas when i check the oil, but said that its normal for our cars, its only 10 bucks for the gasket and like 80 for labor so im going to get that taken care of next week....thanks guys for all the responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Smelling coolant, but no leak?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coolant leak maxsideburn 99 - 04 46 March 20th, 2014 10:09 PM
Coolant Leak....STILL maxsideburn 99 - 04 54 October 4th, 2010 12:40 PM
Coolant Leak on '06 sephstrom 2005 - 2010 V6 2 March 27th, 2010 06:24 PM
coolant leak SilverFreakGT 99 - 04 1 January 26th, 2009 09:55 PM
Coolant leak? shan 96 - 98 12 April 26th, 2007 09:52 AM