Coolant Light
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #1

redponygt is on a distinguished road

Coolant Light

Hey guys new here. I've beenr reading the forums for a while now but just decided to join to get feedback from other mustang owners. I have a 2000 GT Convertible (AOD) with a few mods here and there. I only have 37k miles on my car but for the past few months my coolant light indicator has constantly been on in my gauge cluster. I know this topic has probably been covered somewhere but I couldn't find an answer when I searched. My coolant level is normal, anyone know what the problem is? I heard this happens to a lot of mustangs. Do I need to replace a sensor or wash something off? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT
13.9@101

HessiaN257 is on a distinguished road

Try and slide the coolant hose from the anti-freeze container on tighter with a clamp or something. If that doesn't work try and replace the sensor.

13.9@101 before some mods
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #3
Enthusiast

zkid01 is on a distinguished road

This could be from alot of things... Even though your coolent is full you might have a air bubble in the system.. This bubble could be sitting around the sensor and giving false readings.. to correct this take off your coolant pressure cap and let the car idle for about 20 minutes, watch to see if there any air bubbles... If that doesnt work find your coolant temp sensor and check the wire connection.. make sure it is secure and there is no build up on it... If that is good i would think that there could be a problem with the sensor itself.. i would replace that next and get the codes cleared.. You can do this by unhooking for batt for i think its 20min and recconect. All this is assuming that you are not overheating....Give that a try and post back.

Old June 7th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #4

after a lot of tinkering around, nothing worked, so I just ended up replacing the coolant sensor. Unfortunately, at least for 2000 GTs, the sensor comes with a new tank which cost about $97 plus new coolant. But I guess it was worth it cuz now the light is finally off!
Powder-coated red calipers,
Flowmaster 40s, HID upgrade, Billet Grill, Red interior trim, Pioneer AVIC-N3, JL 10W7 in custom box, JL 500/1
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

Casper98GT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Casper98GT Send a message via Yahoo to Casper98GT

NOrmally if it comes on its because of the sensor. It get "sludged" up if you will. I dont know why these motors leave that kinda residue but they do. You could have just removed the tank and cleaned it out with water. The sensor gets stuck and the light stays on. Coolant services at 30k or 3 yrs will help take care of this residue.
2009 Toyota Camry SE DD

Ex:Toyota/Ford tech
Marine Machinery Technician, Department of Defense.

Old June 7th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Casper98GT
NOrmally if it comes on its because of the sensor. It get "sludged" up if you will. I dont know why these motors leave that kinda residue but they do. You could have just removed the tank and cleaned it out with water. The sensor gets stuck and the light stays on. Coolant services at 30k or 3 yrs will help take care of this residue.
I had cleaned it out and had the whole coolant system flushed late last year. I figured it might go away after that but it didn't. So ultimately, it was a bad sensor.
Powder-coated red calipers,
Flowmaster 40s, HID upgrade, Billet Grill, Red interior trim, Pioneer AVIC-N3, JL 10W7 in custom box, JL 500/1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Coolant Light
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Head Light and Tail Light Opinion Needed Laser Visual 8 January 2nd, 2008 02:16 AM
low coolant light keeps comming on. isenegger 5.0 Mustangs 12 April 29th, 2007 02:49 PM
How you can change your dome light color. (light on roof) SonicStang Visual 25 March 23rd, 2007 12:39 PM
Coolant Light KLance221 General Tech 1 February 3rd, 2007 06:09 PM
Coolant Light Victor General Tech 1 October 25th, 2006 02:44 PM