Can't remove driveshaft bolts.
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

Y2KGT is on a distinguished road

Can't remove driveshaft bolts.

Im doing my gears and i can't break the bolts loose on the pinion flange. I've tried heat, pb blast, 2 foot breaker bar, and a impact and they are still tight. Anybody have any ideas on what to try next? Im afraid to break the bolts. Also, i broke a damn abs sensor and the head of one of the bolts. Now i need to buy a new ABS sensor and try to find a bolt to replace the one i broke. I spent 3 hours messing with the axle bearings i bought from advanced auto. I bought the Timken set that has the bearing and seal all in one piece. I tried to push the bearing in and it went in and just stopped. I tried tapping it in with no success. So i just pulled it back out and measured my original bearing and compared it to the new one. Wouldn't you know that the new bearing was 1mm larger in diameter then the original. So i went back and got the different Timken bearing and seperate seal and everything went in perfectly. Needless to say, i didn't get a lot accomplished today.....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #2
gdl
Regular

99 Cobra, 03 Mach1, 07 CS

gdl is a jewel in the roughgdl is a jewel in the roughgdl is a jewel in the rough

First make sure you're using a 12-point wrench, get the longest one you can. Put that on the bolt, then get yourself a dead-blow hammer and whale away on it. I've had a couple cars where those bolts were tight like that and the dead-blow did the trick both times.

2007 Redfire California Special
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/2007GTCS.jpg

2003 Dark Shadow Grey Mach 1
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...born/Mach1.jpg

1999 Black Cobra Vert - SOLD
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #3
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

stal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud of

the bolts have always been tight but i was always able to break them loose with a breaker bar.
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #4

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.58 @ 122.13

Shaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond repute

Mine were on really tight. Had a impact gun with 800ftlbs in reverse, still couldnt break it loose. Heat "should" get them to break loose. But not always.

I had to borrown a torque multiplier. Thats really one of the coolest tools. Its whatever torque you use x4. So it seemed like they came out like butter. Something like this

Torque Multiplier - Great Deals on Torque Multipliers at Harbor Freight

Idk if you can rent one at autozone, but there not cheap. The link I posted might not even be the right one. But I dont see why you couldnt put a 12mm 1/2 socket on there.

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
11.58 @ 122.13
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Regular

1999 Jeep Wrangler

roybrown45 will become famous soon enough

take a step back, pull the string hanging between your legs, and try again. ha ha ha.

just kiddin man. i don't mean to insult your intelligence but are you turning the correct direction? i know i've done that a couple times and made it real hard to get bolts off. do you have a air hammer? if so, you could hit it a few times with that to see if the impact breaks it loose. good luck.
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT
8.20@81.24 (1/8)

andrewskaggs is a jewel in the roughandrewskaggs is a jewel in the roughandrewskaggs is a jewel in the rough

I just had this problem over the weekend. I snapped a wrench in two trying to get them off.

What we finally did was turn the driveshaft until we could get a wrench on one parallel to the ground and put the car in gear and yanked the emergency brake. Then, we put a railroad jack under the end of the wrench and jacked it up until we could just see the wrench starting to bow (any jack should work so long as it's solid, but a cylinder type jack would work best). At that point, we hit the wrench with a hammer to shock it loose.

We tried hitting the wrench with a hammer without the jack, but the driveshaft had too much play in it (even with it in gear and the parking brake set) and it would just spring back.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Those bolts are strooong. You'll most likely break the wrench before you twist the bolt.

SLP :: SCT :: Eaton :: Maximum Motorsports :: Baseline Suspensions :: Strange Engineering

MM Bracket Racing Crew
BAMA Performance Drag Team #1

Project Thread :: YouTube Channel
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 3V GT/2007 GT D/D
corner carver

mustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the roughmustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the roughmustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the roughmustang_gtr_99 is a jewel in the rough

+1
I used a 12 point and placed my jack under the and and eventually it gave

REAR SEAT DELETE FABRICATOR
"RSD pics in garage"
2010 Shelby GT500 DD/99 3V GT
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT
8.98 1/8

GreyWarrior07 has a spectacular aura aboutGreyWarrior07 has a spectacular aura aboutGreyWarrior07 has a spectacular aura about

i had my car jacked way up, used a 12 point, and a breaker bar with a pipe on the end of that, i didnt have much room to move it though but i got it just enough to break it loose.

My other car is a 867 HP Challenger -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89K9NlpYCg&feature=plcp
CHECK MEH GARAGE
BAMA Performance Drag Team #9
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Guydudebro

2007 Mustang GT
No Track, No Time

TheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!

Originally Posted by Shaun03GT View Post
Mine were on really tight. Had a impact gun with 800ftlbs in reverse, still couldnt break it loose. Heat "should" get them to break loose. But not always.

I had to borrown a torque multiplier. Thats really one of the coolest tools. Its whatever torque you use x4. So it seemed like they came out like butter. Something like this

Torque Multiplier - Great Deals on Torque Multipliers at Harbor Freight

Idk if you can rent one at autozone, but there not cheap. The link I posted might not even be the right one. But I dont see why you couldnt put a 12mm 1/2 socket on there.
Frickin awesome tool. I had never heard of that. Reps.

I've also always had success by using penetrating oil, letting it sit, putting an impact gun on it, and then if need be putting a pipe over the end of my bar.... on an impact socket, not a chrome one. They will explode or split if you reef on them hard enough. lol

Originally Posted by SwAZy McScrotum View Post
Yup. I want your hot, thick, loaf in my mouth

Old March 18th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #10

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.58 @ 122.13

Shaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Zip. Yeah that tool was amazing. Because the transmission shop that replaced my tranny rounded all my bellhousing, starter, and driveshaft bolts. And they were on rediculousy tight. I tried almost everything then a buddy let me use the x4 torque multiplier, and it came out like butter.

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
11.58 @ 122.13
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #11
MM Fanatic

6.82@100mph 1.45 60'

mystang0673 is a jewel in the roughmystang0673 is a jewel in the roughmystang0673 is a jewel in the rough

op..... stop being a girl and just sack up... lol.. jfwy... a good thick 12 point wrench and a very heavy hammer will do the trick, i promise.... i actually dont hit the wrench with the head of the hammer, i let the head of the hammer hang off the end a little and actually use the handle right below the head to hit the wrench with... thats your best bet....
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT
8.20@81.24 (1/8)

andrewskaggs is a jewel in the roughandrewskaggs is a jewel in the roughandrewskaggs is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by andrewskaggs View Post
I just had this problem over the weekend. I snapped a wrench in two trying to get them off.

What we finally did was turn the driveshaft until we could get a wrench on one parallel to the ground and put the car in gear and yanked the emergency brake. Then, we put a railroad jack under the end of the wrench and jacked it up until we could just see the wrench starting to bow (any jack should work so long as it's solid, but a cylinder type jack would work best). At that point, we hit the wrench with a hammer to shock it loose.

We tried hitting the wrench with a hammer without the jack, but the driveshaft had too much play in it (even with it in gear and the parking brake set) and it would just spring back.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Those bolts are strooong. You'll most likely break the wrench before you twist the bolt.
So...someone tell me why I got negative rep for this two year old post? Not to mention the fact that it's actually helpful.

SLP :: SCT :: Eaton :: Maximum Motorsports :: Baseline Suspensions :: Strange Engineering

MM Bracket Racing Crew
BAMA Performance Drag Team #1

Project Thread :: YouTube Channel
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Carving corners

2002 Mustang GT

MineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to all

So...someone tell me why I got negative rep for this two year old post? Not to mention the fact that it's actually helpful.
not a clue because that's the same way i got mine off but using a regular jack and a regular wrench lol.

Old April 27th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #14
Enthusiast

2001 Mustang Bullitt

ltwargssf is on a distinguished road

mines were stuck too , all I took is a small propane torch and I only used a small wrench and a hammer and got em loose , the torch works best because it takes the lock tread thats on the bolts
Old April 27th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #15
The Mean Green

MATT02GT is a splendid one to beholdMATT02GT is a splendid one to beholdMATT02GT is a splendid one to beholdMATT02GT is a splendid one to beholdMATT02GT is a splendid one to beholdMATT02GT is a splendid one to beholdMATT02GT is a splendid one to behold

I had to use my foot and a breaker bar to break em loose before

Its not how fast you drive, but how you drive fast.
2002 Mustang GT... Just The Usual Bolt-Ons

Bolt on list in Garage...... MM Insomniac Crew
Old April 28th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #16
Regular

2002 mustang gt

02gtvortech is on a distinguished road

I changed my driveshaft a few months ago and had the same problem I ended up using a blow torch heat the bolts up really good and then they came out with no problem.
Member of the Silver mustang registry#2604, 324RWHP 323RWTQ 8.1 psi. BOOST
Old April 28th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #17
Enthusiast

04 mach 1, 07 impala
6.35/ 109 1/8 mle

mikeracing is a jewel in the roughmikeracing is a jewel in the roughmikeracing is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to mikeracing

you can also use a 12mm 12pt impact socket on a impact gun but remember that the longer the extension the more it absorbs so you want to keep it fairly close

when i worked on big trucks and my 1/2" gun wouldnt do it i just used the adaptor for the 3/4 impact
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 mustang gt
13.8@98mph 1.9 60ft

condor123 is just really nicecondor123 is just really nicecondor123 is just really nicecondor123 is just really nice

trolls? i thought it said who gave you the rep?

my lack of mods http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-member-51307/
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #19
Mr. Stangarang

2014 Mustang GT
xx.x @ xxx.xx

04MidnightGT is a jewel in the rough04MidnightGT is a jewel in the rough04MidnightGT is a jewel in the rough04MidnightGT is a jewel in the rough

When I removed mine the first time they were on there pretty good, I just put some MUSCLE into it and off they came

00' Sterling Silver Metallic Eclipse GT "Fail" - Sold
04' Black Ebony Mustang GT "Giovanna" 396rwhp 460 rwtq - Sold
08' Rally Red Lancer Evolution X MR "Scarlett" - Sold

14' Oxford White Mustang GT "Alexandria" - Daily Driver

Old April 28th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #20
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

Cabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud of

Didnt read the replies but you can always try putting the 12 point on then raising a floor jack and let it do the work for you.

Edit: why the fuck was this thread bumped!?....new guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Can't remove driveshaft bolts.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
driveshaft bolts ndfrspd 99 - 04 22 August 9th, 2009 11:16 PM
Threadlocker on driveshaft bolts nolife 5.0 Mustangs 7 August 5th, 2009 09:09 PM
Question (Getting Driveshaft Bolts Off) HTK241 94-95 5 March 23rd, 2008 03:03 PM
Which bolts do I take out to remove a caliper? crappy_head 99 - 04 8 January 23rd, 2008 05:08 PM
Got my motor...How to remove bolts from tranny GTXRacing 5.0 Mustangs 17 April 3rd, 2007 06:19 PM