SLA front suspension
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools
Old April 27th, 2011, 02:22 AM   3 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA

'01 Mustang GT Vert
'85 Benz 300TD

nileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to behold

SLA front suspension

I was recently looking at the Agent 47 and Griggs SLA setups and am basically sold on the idea as far as track duty goes, but I was wondering if anyone has one of these setups. I think Jazzer does, but my question concerns street driving. I'm afraid that since these are predominately race parts that they will be too harsh on the poorly maintained roads of NY or that I might break them on a pothole. The car isn't a daily driver (except when it's beautiful out), but I don't want to spend a butt-load of money on a track part that I'll break in a month of street use. Not to mention there's the girlfriend factor. Is the ride too harsh for a normal person to sit in the passenger seat in (a modicum of) comfort?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows something about them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #2

'01 Mustang GT Vert
'85 Benz 300TD

nileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to beholdnileppezdel77! is a splendid one to behold

Eye candy of the Agent47 part:

Old April 27th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Abyssinian of AX

'02 Saleen
19.34@42.259

Jazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant future

Do not bother with an SLA for strictly street use

This is a VERY specialized suspension and will be extremely hard to justify one on the street (certainly in a legal capacity ) To gain ANY benefit from it you need to push your car VERY hard in corners and brake to an equal extent.

I have no concerns about it breaking in any way, as these are full-on open-track race parts and designed to be VERY strong!

Jazzer

Un-Official Suspension Guide | Choosing a new tire | Brakes upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down | T-3650 ~ T-56 swap | Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide | The Kitty makes front page news
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
It would still be fun to have a truck that poops speed bumps in fast succession.
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #4
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt
11.79@115.83 (old set up)

SWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud of

strength, no worries there. but as jaz said, too much $$$ just for street.

project warhorse under construction
wagon burner built! track times coming soon!(04 lightning)

being built by MP2 Performance
follow shop builds on facebook at: MP2 Performance
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Regular

teej281 is on a distinguished road

I think op wants to track his car...

2002 Mustang GT Conv.
Catted X w/ FRPP M58 Catback
JLT CAI
91 Oct tune
03 Cobra IRS with FTBR Delrin bushings
MM CO's 325/525lb with Bilstein HD's
AFS 18x9/10.5 Cobra reps
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #6
MoM Fanatic

03 steeda mustang gt
No slip B/C gay race hands

94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to 94racing

On a 06 mustang gt american iron jeff wood(local dealer owner) had agent 47 setup for sla setup and was junk. We had to send it back twice due to the brackets would bend and stress fracture. He went to his 6th race and finally finished without swerving off the track due to the agent 47 peice was welded to the frame and had near 8 support peices on it. As for the current setup he now has griggs which is what we were already running but we switched our spindles,rotors, and cqlipers out with stoptec brake parts and ford racing hubs. I would go with griggs but use the stock spindles. and stoptec brembo or some other brand of calipers and rotors than griggs based on performance and cost.

For another veiw of this you may want to upgrade when you can afford to have a track only car or buy a prebuilt track car. Im currently lOoking for a prebuilt spec miata
Old April 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #7

'01 Mustang GT Vert
'85 Benz 300TD

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
Do not bother with an SLA for strictly street use

I have no concerns about it breaking in any way, as these are full-on open-track race parts and designed to be VERY strong!

Jazzer
Thanks. Using it only on the street would be a total waste, I'd never get a chance to use it at all. Waste of money that would be. But I figure the whole modding scene is a waste of money if I don't get track time with the car. I'm building the car as a track car first and foremost, I just want to be able to take it out on sunny days and when I am in the mood for a cruise as well. I figured they are strong (if I'm spending that kind of dough, it better be), but they aren't meant for street use, which I think would put a different kind of stress on the piece, but I could be wrong in my thinking.

Originally Posted by 94racing View Post
agent 47 setup for sla setup and was junk.

For another veiw of this you may want to upgrade when you can afford to have a track only car or buy a prebuilt track car. Im currently lOoking for a prebuilt spec miata
It's not an upgrade I'm doing immediately, I need to address other areas of my car first, I'm just looking for info and opinions. This isn't my only car, we have a Civic and a 97 DeVille that I can cart myself around in. I am looking to have fun on road courses with this car. I'm spending this summer with the car on courses for the first time, so I'll be able to figure out where the car (and I) needs improvement first.

Good to know the A47 piece isn't as quality, too bad though because it was worlds cheaper than the Griggs piece.

Reps to all.

Old April 27th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Abyssinian of AX

'02 Saleen
19.34@42.259

Jazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant future

OK... didn't quite catch the track-duty part of your post

If you are gonna push it hard in the areas described above, the SLA WILL pay dividends for sure. I would agree that the Griggs is probably stronger, just based on the looks of it alone:

As for streetable.... definitely

I have been streeting my SLA for over 4 years now and have done nothing more than grease up all 4 ball-joints and the 4 other zerk fittings for the upper arms every 4K miles. I have certainly pushed my ride hard enough on a number of occasions to benefit from the SLA on the street . The only two places, really, are the Fort Ross Twisties:

and over the hills to Mom's house:

In both locations, I can see traffic from a LONG way off, or have the inside lane on a passing lane over the hill. These are the only two areas of which I can say the SLA has truly payed off on the street. Seems to me there is another advantage in braking, but I think is mostly due to the Griggs "K" which I believe is required to run a Griggs SLA.

Jazzer

Un-Official Suspension Guide | Choosing a new tire | Brakes upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down | T-3650 ~ T-56 swap | Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide | The Kitty makes front page news
It would still be fun to have a truck that poops speed bumps in fast succession.
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #9

'01 Mustang GT Vert
'85 Benz 300TD

Thanks for the review Jazzer! If I get it, I guess the Griggs one is the one to choose. It's quite substantial. Plus, anything is better than dealing with the wear that 3* of camber creates on front tires.

The track duty part was sort of a side-note; I totally got why people didn't see that.

PS: Nice roads.

Old April 27th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Abyssinian of AX

'02 Saleen
19.34@42.259

Although, it is not as necessary to run neg. camber with an SLA, I still run -2* of it

Seems as though it would not be needed, but is STILL a good thing. The Griggs track car...

... has probably -3.5* or so and didn't help Bruce much on this day, as we spun out on 3a two-laps in a row

Jazzer

PS. I may go -3* at some point

Old April 27th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT Prem Conv

wtfcrunch will become famous soon enoughwtfcrunch will become famous soon enough

I'm jealous.....

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #12
MoM Fanatic

03 steeda mustang gt

94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all94racing is a name known to all

we run -2.5 camber in our griggs car.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Abyssinian of AX

'02 Saleen
19.34@42.259

Alright, that's IT!

I am heading out today to get -2.51* of camber *turns head taps foot*

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #14
MoM Fanatic

03 steeda mustang gt

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
Alright, that's IT!

I am heading out today to get -2.51* of camber *turns head taps foot*
haha tell me if you can feel any difference we went from -1 to -2.5 and it seems to work a little better but i doubt we are going to run the -3.5 any time soon.

im pretty jealous of youre roads jazzer. does youre car have the sierra brand griggs calipers on it still?
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Cone Killer

2001 Mustang GT Vert.

cbjohnson9 has a spectacular aura aboutcbjohnson9 has a spectacular aura about

Jazzer, what springs rates are on your ride? Does Griggs offer a series of spring rates for the SLA setups?
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #16
Abyssinian of AX

'02 Saleen
19.34@42.259

Originally Posted by 94racing View Post
haha tell me if you can feel any difference we went from -1 to -2.5 and it seems to work a little better but i doubt we are going to run the -3.5 any time soon.

im pretty jealous of youre roads jazzer. does youre car have the sierra brand griggs calipers on it still?
I run 4-pot 13" Brembos up front and some Wilwood 4-pot 12" race-calipers out back with a manual prop valve for greatly increased rear braking power (thank you TA )

Originally Posted by cbjohnson9 View Post
Jazzer, what springs rates are on your ride? Does Griggs offer a series of spring rates for the SLA setups?

I run 750# on the SLA, but NOT to be confused with the rates of traditional CO's. This rate is very comparable to 300# CO's you would have your ride.

Jazzer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/215784-sla-front-suspension.html
Posted By For Type Date
SLA VS Mcpherson This thread Refback June 27th, 2013 04:14 PM
SLA VS Mcpherson - Four Eyed Forums This thread Refback December 29th, 2011 01:12 PM
SLA VS Mcpherson - Four Eyed Forums This thread Refback December 27th, 2011 06:11 PM

Threads Similar to: SLA front suspension
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
front suspension Israel Classic Mustangs 7 March 15th, 2011 12:09 PM
New Front Suspension Soon Willy Mo 99 - 04 10 February 2nd, 2010 01:43 AM
Front suspension?? usnzt84 2005 - 2010 14 September 30th, 2009 06:23 PM
Front Suspension dwmb25 Classic Mustangs 0 February 24th, 2008 09:31 PM
Front Suspension 01dutchGT 99 - 04 1 December 7th, 2007 03:20 AM