Car smoking from passenger side, need insight?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

sj408 will become famous soon enough

Car smoking from passenger side, need insight?

Hey guys, so i just had longtube headers put in and while pulling into the exhaust shop the guy asked why my car was smoking. I really thought nothing of it but now that the headers and X pipe are on my car is smoking profusely out of the passenger side exahust.
I dont really notice it when im on the highway or anything but i was just reversing out of a parking spot and a bunch of smoke came into the cab from the passenger side.
so i went out front of my house and had my gf sit in the drivers seat and give it some gas and sure enough quite a bit of smoke started pouring out.

My car has a 96 block with a PI swap. 140k miles on the engine.

Im sure the car has been doing this for a while but now i have the headers with an off road x pipe its ALOT more noticeable.

I could take a video could anyone help me with posting it on here?

EDIT: also for some more info, i do regular maintainence, mobil1 full synthetic, regular tune ups. warm up the engine before driving etc.

Last edited by sj408; May 28th, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #2
I wanna SPRAY!

2003 Mustang GT

TaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to behold

What color is the smoke? Have you noticed the car using oil? Maybe oils inside the new exhaust are burning off and that's what your seeing. Another thing also, since you have an x-pipe their is no way to tell which bank the smoke could be coming from since both sides are joinging together at the midpipe and entering the catback.
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dales03GT View Post
What color is the smoke? Have you noticed the car using oil? Maybe oils inside the new exhaust are burning off and that's what your seeing. Another thing also, since you have an x-pipe their is no way to tell which bank the smoke could be coming from since both sides are joinging together at the midpipe and entering the catback.
it seems to be white smoke and it doesnt come out at idle it only comes when i give it throttle. I went out and bought a compression tester so i figured ill start with that and go from there.

also it smells almost EXACTLY like what i smelt when they were welding my exhaust up, not a sweet burnt coolant smell like almost a burnt metal smell.

anyone else have any input?

edit: also the car uses a TINY bit of oil but nothing noticeable inbetween oil changed. i dont ever have to top it off or anything like that

Last edited by sj408; May 28th, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Regular

1999 Mustang GT
12.4@ 109

cobrastang_07 is on a distinguished road

it is comming in the CAB?
mine smokes a bit from passenger side but its in the engine bay. i think my valve cover is leaking or something causing the smoke from headers but not too sure about smoke in cab. get a video if you can
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

Weird i just went out and checked the oil, and the oil looks to be brand new like always but it seems alot lower than where it should be. bout a quart low and it never burned that much before.
hmnnnnnnnnn

also the day i had the x pipe finished i was driving and i heard a huge POP and my engine stumbled a bit so i pulled in the gas station to check it out and nothing seemed wrong, turned it off started it and runs fine. MIND YOU the car still runs great right now just that smoke is bugging me cause i dont want a small problem to get worse.

i know this issue might be completely unrelated but just wanted to give yah guys as much info as possible regarding the situation.

about to perform a compression test when my father decided to come over and give me a hand.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #6
I wanna SPRAY!

2003 Mustang GT

TaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to beholdTaintedStang is a splendid one to behold

White smoke does not indicate oil burning.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

well what does white smoke indicate???? one liners dont help much friend! i do appreciate your input though
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Regular

2002 mustang gt

Mystang 02GT is on a distinguished road

white smoke is coolant ie head gasket head etc...blue smoke is oil could be rings or valve seals grayish smoke would be fuel.
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #9
I wanna SPRAY!

2003 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by sj408 View Post
well what does white smoke indicate???? one liners dont help much friend! i do appreciate your input though
Well the only two liquids inside the motor is the oil and coolant, so if you take one out of the equation then you only have one left. If your coolant level isn't dropping or the coolant system isn't getting pressurized then a head gasket failure should be ruled out.

Edit: For future reference White Smoke=Coolant,Blue Smoke= Burning Oil,Black Smoke= Unburnt fuel
Old May 28th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

k guys so i just did a compression test (for my first time ever) all cylinders check out at 95-100, im sure that sounds a bit lower than the ones ive seen here BUT i attribute that to the cheap chinese tester i borrowed so as long as there wasnt any big difference between the cylinders i figure im good.

so upon further inspection the smoke seems to be leaving alot of moisture on my side pipes and doesnt come out while driving but after idling for a bit it seems to build up in the exhaust and burn off when i give it throttle

So ive got to figure out what would cause excessive condensation in the exhaust system? or what. also guys im sure i stated this but i have brand new long tube pacesetters and x pipe installed.
Old May 28th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

could it be that my car is just running rich as shit with the new headers and x pipe and that a retune is in order?
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

just talked to my mech and he says its normal for not having cats, anyone concur with that?
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

'00 V6 Procharged Mustang

mp4 player has a spectacular aura aboutmp4 player has a spectacular aura about

My guess would be you're burning oil which isn't normal. Head gasket maybe?

SAE Corrected: 289HP/298TQ at 5100RPM(Pegged MAF).
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Enthusiast

1999 mustang cobra

1999cobra92 will become famous soon enough

I say it could be a coinsidence that's totally unrelated to the install of the headers....... Maybe something wrong is happening inside the engine... For what ever reason when I work on my car, something unrelated needs replacing

Crew Member # 5

Check garage for mods and pics

if you Los Angeles and want to ride send me a text (323) 270-6827

0% Wheel hop, 0% broken parts, 100% wheel spin
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #15
I wanna SPRAY!

2003 Mustang GT

I think your just over reacting man, If the car isn't emitting a cloud of smoke behind it or running bad then I would just go on with life. If I rev my motor hard while it's in neutral it will puff a little white smoke sometimes but it's so little that you really gotta look to even notice. If you think it's something major then make a video for us.
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #16
MM Fanatic

2003 ford mustang gt
13.62 @102mph

1_nice_03_gt is just really nice1_nice_03_gt is just really nice1_nice_03_gt is just really nice1_nice_03_gt is just really nice

Originally Posted by 1999cobra92 View Post
I say it could be a coinsidence that's totally unrelated to the install of the headers....... Maybe something wrong is happening inside the engine... For what ever reason when I work on my car, something unrelated needs replacing
lol everytime i work on mine nothing goes according to plan

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #17
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

04 mustang gt
7.21 @ 98

mrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sj408 View Post
just talked to my mech and he says its normal for not having cats, anyone concur with that?
my car does it too occasionally. and the a/f is right (maybe slightly rich) and the car runs fine. my buddies cobra does it too and it has a engine with less than 10k on it...i think yours could be running a little rich
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #18
MM Official Sammich Maker

1972 Chevelle
12.5@115

Roos is a splendid one to beholdRoos is a splendid one to beholdRoos is a splendid one to beholdRoos is a splendid one to beholdRoos is a splendid one to beholdRoos is a splendid one to beholdRoos is a splendid one to behold

I know when I was working at the local part's store all our exhaust would come in with a oil substance on it to keep it from rusting, and same with my bbk o/r x pipe and it gave a little smoke but burnt off soon enough.
Unless your having some noticable smoke all the time or it's running horrible I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #19
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

Goose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant future

when i got my o/r h pipe i noticed that my car "smokes" a lot more than it did before

the exhaust is just a bit whiter and the fumes are easier to see without cats
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #20
Hardcore Enthusiast

yeah it passed the compression test so im not gonna go worrying too much, it runs awesome and pulls really nicely for a 4.6 so i guess ill clean up everything real nice when i get these hi tech stage 2s put in.
just gonna drive it and not worry about it too much but keep an eye on it, dont get why it would get alot of "wet" looking stuff insiide my side pipe, since you can see into it easily you can tell some type of condensation is happening on the inside of the tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Car smoking from passenger side, need insight?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
passenger side window dr.gonzo! 5.0 Mustangs 0 August 27th, 2008 11:37 AM
Squeaking On Passenger Side greygunner General Tech 7 November 15th, 2007 09:35 AM