what mods to do to my 2002 mustang GT. Looking at 5.4 swap. any advice?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #1

DevilDog7 is on a distinguished road

what mods to do to my 2002 mustang GT. Looking at 5.4 swap. any advice?

Hey guys 2002 mustang gt. Has the basic bolt-ons. Ill try to upload some pictures. any recommendations on what else to do to the car please say. It has 8000K HID's Hi/Lo headlights and fog lights. Plan on smoking out all my lights. Headlights, fogs, tails, third brake lights, and side markers. I have 6000K led license plate lights along with 6000K led back up lights. Any recommendations. Thought about maybe the 03-04 cobra front bumper. or maybe the roush one instead. Maybe a cowl hood or the terminator hood.

Also was looking at doing a 5.4 swap. Particularly the DOHC out of a navigator. Hopefully buying this summer. and doing heads and cams along with longtube headers and putting it in this winter. My car is an auto and plan on putting in a t-56 if i can find a good one for the money. Eventually plan on turbocharging or twin turbocharging it because can't afford a supercharger. plan on doing the turbo kit myself. Also if i went the supercharger route i wanted a roots blower and would have clearance issues. Wish i had the money for a supercharger but don't. Do you think the 5.4 is worth it? Is it a good upgrade? Or should i find a wrecked cobra and use the terminator engine with the eaton along with the t-56?

Also it has H&R super sport springs. In the pictures it just had the front ones on and not the rear yet. Along with the back wheel spacers which are coming off.

Thanks for any input.

Sorry for crappy pictures. Were taken on my phone and the car was filthy and it was getting dark out so just hurried and took a few.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw

Last edited by DevilDog7; June 15th, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2

Not sure how to post pictures either. Any advice. lol
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Regular

1999 Jeep Wrangler

roybrown45 will become famous soon enough

if you can't afford a supercharger, you can't afford a twin turbo setup. what are your plans for the car? you may want to be realistic with your goals and not have a 900hp daily driver. just my $0.02

for photos upload them to photobucket then paste the IMG code in the post.
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #4

This isn't a daily driver. and these are all future plans. I plan on probably just a single turbo. probably in a year or next winter. And im going to buy just the turbo and do everything myself. I just wanted to know any input on doing the 5.4 swap. If its worth it or not.
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Enthusiast

2009 Mazda Mazda6

MustangGt40th is on a distinguished road

Look at on3performance for cheap turbo kits. That way you dont do a hack job and it will still be reasonable on the price chart

-2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring: The new whip

Wish I could've kept the Mustang and the Mazda at the same time...
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #6

Haha yeah if i bought one that's where I planned on buying it haha. Found out about them a few months ago.

Anybody know if its a good reliable kit though? Is it worth it?
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Enthusiast

2009 Mazda Mazda6

MustangGt40th is on a distinguished road

I've seen and heard nothing but good things

-2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring: The new whip

Wish I could've kept the Mustang and the Mazda at the same time...
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Harvester of Sorrow

404-car not found

WickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond repute

You're dreaming if you're looking or a wrecked Termi. I was on the hunt for some time. I've basically scavenged together a clone. And if you are looking at turbocharging it, I wouldn't go the T56 route, I'd go automatic.

No offense, but you're incredibly vague here. There's dozens of options, and it all depends on what you're looking for, and more importantly, what your budget is. Power isn't cheap, no matter what route you take.
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Hooo Ha Ha

1997 Mustang GT
9.74 @ 143

sharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant futuresharkbait has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to sharkbait

So you cant afford a supercharger....but youll be able to afford a DOHC 5.4 swap?

The GT500 blower does fit under the hood so i dont see the clearance issues. There is no turbo kit for a 5.4 swapped DOHC mustang in our body style, so either way its going to have to be custom done or the kits going to need to be modified.

Well then if your planning on boosting it though now your looking at building a motor while its out. So 3k for the bottom end, probobly 1000 or so to get the heads sent out and porthed. then another 1700 for cams.

853rwhp @ 23psi
75mm Turbo 5.4 swap E85
#turbo2v

10.11 @ 138mph STOCK LONGBLOCK
Awaiting Track Testing on New Longblock

www.JPCracing.com 410-729-0005 ext. 11

PM me if you need any parts or advice!
Old June 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Procrastinator

2003 gt
5.4 32v on the way

DickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of light

honestly if you want a turbo car go with a turbo 4.6, even a turbo 2v will make plenty of power.
Old June 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT
8.98 1/8

GreyWarrior07 has a spectacular aura aboutGreyWarrior07 has a spectacular aura aboutGreyWarrior07 has a spectacular aura about

You first need to figure out what your budget is, not trying to be a dick and not saying you dont have to the money but it kind of just sounds like a bunch of hopes and dreams cause a lot of this doesn't make sense. The first thing you need to do is figure out your budget and then what your goals are within that budget.

My other car is a 867 HP Challenger -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89K9NlpYCg&feature=plcp
CHECK MEH GARAGE
BAMA Performance Drag Team #9
Old June 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

The2000MustangGT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
So you cant afford a supercharger....but youll be able to afford a DOHC 5.4 swap?
That's what didn't make sense to me either. Same with Twins.

Originally Posted by GreyWarrior07 View Post
You first need to figure out what your budget is, not trying to be a dick and not saying you dont have to the money but it kind of just sounds like a bunch of hopes and dreams cause a lot of this doesn't make sense. The first thing you need to do is figure out your budget and then what your goals are within that budget.
Completely agreed.
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #13

I see what you guys are saying these plans aren't for now. It will take me a few years. first was gonna be the 5.4 then later on modifying that and adding a power adder. I just wanted opinions on if the 5.4 was worth it or just keep the 4.6. I heard guys doing this swap for not to bad of a price. I just wanted to know if it would worth it. A stock 4.6 with bolt-ons is roughly in the 260 hp range? right? the 5.4 stock is roughly around the 300 right? With all the bolt-ons, dont quote me on this because im not really sure, would be maybe roughly around 330 hp. Then a good tune. Then eventually would do heads and cams. I know all the plans were thrown out i just wanted to hear opinions. This build isnt gonna be done this year. Just a little here and there when i can afford it. I just wanted to know if the 5.4 is a good route to take. I have found engines anywhere from $500-$1200. Which isnt to bad for a good little upgrade. Just wanted to know how big of a difference it was going from the 4.6 to the 5.4. If it was worth the money.
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #14
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
12.298@117.33MPh

Airmandavis will become famous soon enough

With the money you would be spending on the 5.4 swap you could easily afford to go with some type of forced induction on your 4.6. I would feel out the 4.6 a little bit before I considered doing a motor swap. You may decide you like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: what mods to do to my 2002 mustang GT. Looking at 5.4 swap. any advice?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission swap into a 2002 mustang gt DevilDog7 99 - 04 28 May 25th, 2011 09:53 PM
2002 mustang gt mods? Garagebuilt01 General Tech 3 August 18th, 2010 10:24 PM
67 mustang engine swap need advice Atoka Jim Classic Mustangs 5 April 22nd, 2009 12:11 PM
2002 V6 advice M-Tang V6 Mustangs 20 October 9th, 2007 11:12 PM