Help: Cobra Steering Wheel
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

sonicx will become famous soon enoughsonicx will become famous soon enough

Help: Cobra Steering Wheel

Hey Guys & Gals;

Question #1:

Today, I purchased a used cobra steering wheel off a 03 termi (double wrapped leather).

For those of you whom had or have one. Is there a difference in feeling over the GT wheel? (Man, i hope so!)

Question #2:

How difficult is it to install a steering wheel? Can i do it myself without worrying the airbag popping.

Thanks in advance
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

1) Couldn't say... I had a '98 Cobra wheel that sucked monkey balls, and an FR500 wheel I replaced it with that was God's gift to my own hands. I'm not sure where the Termie wheel fits in that spectrum, though I imagine it has to be superior to the GT unit.

2) Pretty easy, but you will need a steering wheel puller. I replaced mine without detonating the airbag; I found a write-up online and it showed how to properly disconnect the charge and all that. Also, be careful with the wheel alignment. It's pretty easy to get it off just an RCH, and if you're like me that shit'll bug the hell out of you.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Enthusiast

2002 Roush Mustang GT

snake_bitten711 will become famous soon enough

just make sure to disconnect the battery, set the steering wheel straight and put the new wheel back just the way it came off secure the air bag connector and once all is done reconnect the battery... Done I've done this numerous times with no problems. The steering wheel helps a lot, it beats beating the heel out of the wheel to get it loose.
Kooks LT Headers ,Gutted catted H Pipe, Magnaflow side exhaust, Pro 5.0 Short shifter, Urethane Motor Mounts, Accufab plenum, 75mm throttle body, Mac CAI, J&M LCA's. 3:73 gears
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
Pretty easy, but you will need a steering wheel puller. I replaced mine without detonating the airbag; I found a write-up online and it showed how to properly disconnect the charge and all that. Also, be careful with the wheel alignment. It's pretty easy to get it off just an RCH, and if you're like me that shit'll bug the hell out of you.
Really, is it possible to do it without one?

Originally Posted by snake_bitten711 View Post
just make sure to disconnect the battery, set the steering wheel straight and put the new wheel back just the way it came off secure the air bag connector and once all is done reconnect the battery... Done I've done this numerous times with no problems. The steering wheel helps a lot, it beats beating the heel out of the wheel to get it loose.
How long should be battery be disconnected for before I start working?
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Procharged GT, STR
12.503 @ 113.08

mell0 is just really nicemell0 is just really nicemell0 is just really nicemell0 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to mell0

You'll definitely feel a difference. the 03/04 cobra wheels are so much more plush.
Car Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mell00ut5?feature=mhee
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
You'll definitely feel a difference. the 03/04 cobra wheels are so much more plush.
Perfect

Because part of me is 2nd guessing the decsion to buy it because it wasn't cheap but cheaper than spending 400 bucks on a FR500 wheel.
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Enthusiast

2009 Mazda Mazda6

MustangGt40th is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sonicx View Post
Perfect

Because part of me is 2nd guessing the decsion to buy it because it wasn't cheap but cheaper than spending 400 bucks on a FR500 wheel.
Very nice purchase sonicx. You should be very pleased with the comfort and performance of your new steering wheel. Great job on taking up such a good deal and saving money on a similar FR500 wheel. Very nice!

-2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring: The new whip

Wish I could've kept the Mustang and the Mazda at the same time...

Last edited by MustangGt40th; June 28th, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible, but considering that you can go down to Kragenzone and rent the damn puller for hella cheap, it's not worth the hassle of not having one. I've heard stories of guys knocking themselves out because of the force needed to get the wheel off and the way it suddenly releases. Plus, if the wheel goes cock-eyed on the shaft (which it likely will if you're trying to gorilla-arm it off there), you're gonna need the puller anyway.
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

^ +++ (Thanks)
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Enthusiast

2002 Roush Mustang GT

snake_bitten711 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sonicx View Post
Really, is it possible to do it without one?

How long should be battery be disconnected for before I start working?
I usually go right at it but you can give it 5 minutes if it makes you more comfortable.
Kooks LT Headers ,Gutted catted H Pipe, Magnaflow side exhaust, Pro 5.0 Short shifter, Urethane Motor Mounts, Accufab plenum, 75mm throttle body, Mac CAI, J&M LCA's. 3:73 gears
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Enthusiast

2009 Mazda Mazda6

MustangGt40th is on a distinguished road

I've been told to disconnect the battery and then give the key a crank and that drains it completely

-2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring: The new whip

Wish I could've kept the Mustang and the Mazda at the same time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Help: Cobra Steering Wheel
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New steering wheel. HMERacing 5.0 Mustangs 7 August 17th, 2010 10:16 PM
Steering wheel scxc15 V6 Mustangs 3 October 15th, 2007 01:31 AM
New steering wheel 69fastback Classic Mustangs 5 July 23rd, 2007 12:14 AM
FR500 Steering Wheel Cobra? carviperblue Modular Mustangs 2 September 20th, 2006 07:42 PM