if a camshaft position sensor is bad....
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:51 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

BakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud of

if a camshaft position sensor is bad....

how will it act?

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
Procharger D1sc at 20+ psi
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Tune/numbers coming shortly!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

PRODUCTIONMAN will become famous soon enoughPRODUCTIONMAN will become famous soon enough

engine will miss and run rough and act the same as a bad coil or plug (or worse). Just had it go out on my Denali dd.
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Head Unicorn

2003 Mustang Fauxbra
N/T @ Fast

bulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud of

That's a question I'd like to know the answer to also. I've never had one/worked on one that had an issue with the CPS. What are the symptoms???

03 Silver Fauxbra; 06 Legend Lime GT, 89 Outlaw 10.5W Coupe, 93 Teal Cobra, 93 Red GT, 93 Teal LX
Unicorn Club Founding Member
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #4

BakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud of

well my harley truck has been acting STUPID and its real random... just starts bucking its ass off and then its completely fine again. Im like WTF? I can throw it in park and rev it way up and all and no issues and then it just randomly starts bucking bad and even knocking sound.

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Old July 27th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #5

04 mustang gt
7.21 @ 98

mrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to behold

my buddy has a v6 mustang and had either a bad cam syncro or sensor and it was bad enough to where the engine would lock up and stall the car at idle...it would buck and then want to lock up and cut off.
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Procharged GT, STR
12.503 @ 113.08

mell0 is just really nicemell0 is just really nicemell0 is just really nicemell0 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to mell0

I've heard most "cam position sensor" problems were in fact alternators going out. Even if at first the alternator checks out at autozone or something, try swapping it with another to see if the problem is fixed.
Car Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mell00ut5?feature=mhee
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #7

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.58 @ 122.13

Shaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond repute

Baker hows your stang running? Did you drop the oil pan or anything?

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
11.58 @ 122.13
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Procharged GT, STR
12.503 @ 113.08

mell0 is just really nicemell0 is just really nicemell0 is just really nicemell0 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to mell0

shaun sick sig BTW
Car Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mell00ut5?feature=mhee
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #9

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.58 @ 122.13

Shaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks man

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
11.58 @ 122.13
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #10
Mechanical Engineer

2006 Mustang GT

nathanielwilliam is on a distinguished road

had a problem with mine once where i thought the sensor was bad. ended up being that the guy before me ran the wiring harness over the egr valve line and it melted the wiring harness and was shorting out the wiring. sensors rarely go out.

2006 Mustang GT
Pacesetter Ceramic L/T's
Pacesetter H-pipe
FR hot rod cams
FR Intake manifold
FR500 exaust
Hurst Competition Plus Short throw.
JLT CAI

2002 F-150

Sold:
2001 Mustang GT (miss this one)
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT
13.91 @ 102.04

02'TrueBlue will become famous soon enough

When that happened to me it was my broken diodes in my alternator. After wasting $55 to replace the sensor, I just had the alternator rebuilt and it solved the problem just fine. They explained it that when the diodes break, they send out a pulse signal that fucks with that sensor and makes it say it's broken because it doesn't function as it should
TRUE BLUE CREW MEMBER #6
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 mustang gt
13.86@ 100.5

Applehead281 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 02'TrueBlue View Post
When that happened to me it was my broken diodes in my alternator. After wasting $55 to replace the sensor, I just had the alternator rebuilt and it solved the problem just fine. They explained it that when the diodes break, they send out a pulse signal that fucks with that sensor and makes it say it's broken because it doesn't function as it should
Had the exact same problem with mine i went through 3 alt's from carquest and the diodes failed in all three, took it to a elec shop and i got a USA made one from him brand new for like 10 more bucks than a refurbished one from mexico costed me at carquest, and he told me that it creates a magnetic field causing the cam sensor to fail, it did it would start and die and sometimes backfire realllllly bad it sounded like a cannon!!!!

The usual bolt on's..
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #13

this is why i asked.....

I got some codes that popped up. One was an alternator code and the camshaft position sensor code. I will add... my truck has been sounding weak when it starts for about 3-4 months lately. Crazy that an alternator can make the motor buck arround and even die!

As far as my stang... Now Im wondering if the car isnt doing the same thing! Cause it did the same shit and made some horrible knocking sound. I noticed it one day at a restaurant... drove it home and it quit. Then the last time i drove it, it ran fine, pulled crazy hard through the RPM range and on my way back home it started that knocking shit and then for the rest of the evening it sounded like that and even killed the car one time. As if it locked up! But then it started back up and all. So could both my rides be suffering from the same shit? Do alternators really fuck shit up that bad!?

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Old July 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 mustang gt
13.86@ 100.5

Applehead281 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BakerFX4 View Post
this is why i asked.....

I got some codes that popped up. One was an alternator code and the camshaft position sensor code. I will add... my truck has been sounding weak when it starts for about 3-4 months lately. Crazy that an alternator can make the motor buck arround and even die!

As far as my stang... Now Im wondering if the car isnt doing the same thing! Cause it did the same shit and made some horrible knocking sound. I noticed it one day at a restaurant... drove it home and it quit. Then the last time i drove it, it ran fine, pulled crazy hard through the RPM range and on my way back home it started that knocking shit and then for the rest of the evening it sounded like that and even killed the car one time. As if it locked up! But then it started back up and all. So could both my rides be suffering from the same shit? Do alternators really fuck shit up that bad!?
It sure did for me mine started doing it in the winter, it would start backfire and die and again then it would start, sometimes the battery light wouldn't come on until the motor got warm and the diodes seperated, therefore causing a magnetic field around the cam pos sensor causing it not to know where the actual cam is even located. When i got the new one on it was right back to its old self and haven't had a problem for two years now, ps don't get one from carquest!!!!!!!!!!!!

The usual bolt on's..
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #15

1990 Mustang LX

5oh1990 is on a distinguished road

just wanted to say great thread. Im having some (what i believe are) cam/crank position sensor codes, but i also know for a fact that my alt is bad. maybe ill replace the alt before i decide to replace the sensors. thanks again
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #16
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang
11.47@130

Froush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud of

Welcome. You realize this thread is 2 years old?
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html

Laser Red Crew #3
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #17
KCCO

03 Mustang GT Centennial

codycat91 is a splendid one to beholdcodycat91 is a splendid one to beholdcodycat91 is a splendid one to beholdcodycat91 is a splendid one to beholdcodycat91 is a splendid one to beholdcodycat91 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Froush View Post
shit happens

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Centennial GT Project

My weakness becomes my weapon, and pain my pleasure

Originally Posted by GCubersoldat View Post
I'll buy a Chevy before i go back to MMR.
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

00 V6 02 GT

FakeSnake will become famous soon enoughFakeSnake will become famous soon enough

is'nt the first and it definately won't be the last , good info though.
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #19
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang
11.47@130

Froush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud ofFroush has much to be proud of

I agree. I wasnt really getting on him. Just pointing it out
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html

Laser Red Crew #3
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #20
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.

2000 GT
14.043@99.03

(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of

Person A: makes new thread about a problem
Person B: USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!

Person A: Uses the search button and bumps 2 year old thread
Person B: WAY TO BUMP AN OLD THREAD YOU ******* UGLY PIECE OF **** WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU LEAVE OUR FORUM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to MM

Just given ya shit Froush!

BONER CREW EMPLOYEE #3 - RECEIVING DEPARTMENT

[CUMYUM!]
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
i like pee pees i guess too
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Well my ass ain't going to fill it self motherfucker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/227434-if-camshaft-position-sensor-bad.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread Camshaft sensor location?? | Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback November 13th, 2011 10:36 AM

Threads Similar to: if a camshaft position sensor is bad....
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camshaft Position Sensor ampeed 96 - 98 2 July 3rd, 2010 09:11 PM
05 mustang gt camshaft position sensor Travis05GT 2005 - 2010 0 April 14th, 2010 08:41 AM
Camshaft position sensor alignment? tooldrmr2009 V6 Mustangs 2 February 25th, 2010 05:14 AM
Camshaft Position Sensor jagstang96 96 - 98 2 November 16th, 2007 12:05 PM
P0340 camshaft position sensor yellowfever 99 - 04 1 October 9th, 2006 11:19 AM