4v heads on 2v motor??
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Tits Magee

4V Swap GT

STANG34 is on a distinguished road

4v heads on 2v motor??

OK, so i think i am correct with wanting to put a set of 4v heads on my 4.6 2v block. I understand i need to switch timing gears etc. But for cams, im looking to go perfomance stage 2 cams from american muscle. But i would need cobra cams correct? and for intake i would need to shop for 94-98 intakes correct? just trying to make sure i have everything correct before i order the wrong parts. all in all parts will be cams, heads, intake, throttle body, tune, possibly forged rotating assembly.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

2VSouth has a spectacular aura about2VSouth has a spectacular aura about

You need to consider your compression ratio as well. By putting on 4v heads on the stock shortblock, your compression ratio will drop. You'll also need a 4v timing cover too.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM   #3
I like boobs!!!

2012 GT Premium
dunno

NickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to behold

What year heads are you using? The Cobra intake changed around 99 I think. I don't know if the heads were different. You'll also need a different exhaust.

Edit: And as has been said many times before, why spend that kindof coin on a head swap when you can spend it on go-fast parts for your 2V. These things can be made to run just as fast and faster than the 4V.

2012 GT Premium, Roush Exhaust, Steeda 101mm CAI, SCT Tune, MGW, 388 RWHP 375 RWTQ
2000 GT Vert, Built, Sold
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

stal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud of

Doing the swap would only be worth it if you had a twin screw sc. Even then your still limited on hp

bone stock from the factory!
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Enthusiast

2003 mustang GT
never tried

oonegtstang will become famous soon enough

i agree with nickpholAandP make the 2v fast. keep it 2v.. 4v sounds cool on paper.. but after looking into it, its just a headache.
Originally Posted by jivepepper View Post
Racin a Honda is like runnin in the special Olympics even if you win ur still retarded
Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
Roll up a fatty..
..I mean, roll them fenders for fatty tires
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Tits Magee

4V Swap GT

Heads: any 4v heads i can find right now, will start looking this weekend. Possibly off mark 8. and what all go fast parts are you considering. ill be trying to keep this build around 5-6k
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Tits Magee

4V Swap GT

Oh no doubt id like to keep it a 2v. less work. but i thought you get more power for your money out of a 4v?
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #8

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

If you are starting with a 4v then you do get more power for the money than a 2v. But you're not. You are going to spend the money first to make it a 4v and then spend additional money to make it faster. You would be better off getting a supercharger or a turbo.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Procrastinator

2003 gt
5.4 32v on the way

DickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of light

with a 5-6k budget id get an aviator motor, open it up and replace the internals. Maybe some mild head work before throwing it back together depending on how much you have left in your budget. Whichever way you go, it doesn't matter what you do to the top of the motor, if you keep the stock bottom end your hp will be limited to ~400hp. That can be made several different ways within 5-6k without ever taking the heads off of a 2v 4.6.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM   #10

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

stal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud ofstal94gt has much to be proud of

Buy the compleat motor and swap it in. Just using the heads will drop your cr to 8.5-1. Your going to make less power with that head swap

Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:43 AM   #11
Banned

4V twin turbo 2000 GT
I live my life a quarter mile at a time xD

CobraStang161 will become famous soon enoughCobraStang161 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by STANG34 View Post
Oh no doubt id like to keep it a 2v. less work. but i thought you get more power for your money out of a 4v?
If you want the most power for your money. Throw a big block ford in there lol. These tiny motors take a lot of money to go fast.
Borla XR-1 Dumped before rear
Moser built 9" Rear
35 spline WaveTrac Diff with 3.75s
35 spline Moser axles
14PT roll cage and minitubbed :rockon
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:48 AM   #12

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go. $6,000.
Ford 460 Crate Engine 525 HP: High Performance Engines | ATK Custom Built Crate Engines
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:55 AM   #13
Enthusiast

2003 mustang GT
never tried

oonegtstang will become famous soon enough

DickH is right bro, especially since your leavin the bottom end stock.. the potential of your newly found 4v heads will only be unlocked if you forge the bottom end. and if your gonna spend the bones to get the 4v heads and then the forged bottom end.. youll still be around 300-350 hp without a nice power adder. i say ditch the 4v heads. get free flowing 2v heads, forge the motor, hit it with a procharger and pump out 550hp. make cobras feel insecure when a nice lil GT whoops some ass.
Originally Posted by jivepepper View Post
Racin a Honda is like runnin in the special Olympics even if you win ur still retarded
Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
Roll up a fatty..
..I mean, roll them fenders for fatty tires
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Banned

4V twin turbo 2000 GT
I live my life a quarter mile at a time xD

CobraStang161 will become famous soon enoughCobraStang161 will become famous soon enough

That's what I'm talking about! But in all honesty I could build that for about $2500 less.
Borla XR-1 Dumped before rear
Moser built 9" Rear
35 spline WaveTrac Diff with 3.75s
35 spline Moser axles
14PT roll cage and minitubbed :rockon
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

2VSouth has a spectacular aura about2VSouth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DickH View Post
with a 5-6k budget id get an aviator motor, open it up and replace the internals. Maybe some mild head work before throwing it back together depending on how much you have left in your budget. Whichever way you go, it doesn't matter what you do to the top of the motor, if you keep the stock bottom end your hp will be limited to ~400hp. That can be made several different ways within 5-6k without ever taking the heads off of a 2v 4.6.

This. 03/04 aviator motors can be had for around 2k from lkq but I bet you could find one even cheaper than that if you looked hard enough.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM   #16
I like boobs!!!

2012 GT Premium
dunno

NickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to beholdNickPohlAandP is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by STANG34 View Post
Heads: any 4v heads i can find right now, will start looking this weekend. Possibly off mark 8. and what all go fast parts are you considering. ill be trying to keep this build around 5-6k
HAHAHAHA. I'm doing a 2V build right now and with my rotating assembly, heads, and miscellaneous parts I'm at $5k. You just have to come to grips with the fact that Fords cost a lot more to make fast. If you think you're going to spend LESS going with a 4V setup you are sadly mistaken my friend. Like someone else said, you will spend your projected budget just getting a stock 4V in there, and then some guy like me with faith in 2V's will come along and wax you in a race cause he put the money where it helped.

2012 GT Premium, Roush Exhaust, Steeda 101mm CAI, SCT Tune, MGW, 388 RWHP 375 RWTQ
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #17
Tits Magee

4V Swap GT

ok. did a little research. get some good 2v heads. keep the current block thats in the car now. and go this route ? 1996-2010 Mustang GT 4.6L Forged Rotating Assembly - Flat Top Pistons
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM   #18
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

Stock 4v heads on a stock 2v block makes for the heaviest possible 4.6 you can build. There's a reason that Ford spent the extra money to put an aluminum block under those heads.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:15 AM   #19

2003 mustang v6 ;)
slow

if you want to be a dyno queen dump all 6k into the motor. if you want to be a beast and run some serous track times do this.

1. 31 sline diff, axles and gears with a rebuild kit (750 for parts)
2. (5 speed) built t45 or built 3650 (1800) tko600 (2600 better) clutch (450)
3. full drag suspention in the back (1000)
4. 125 shot nitrous used (600)
5. 15x10 wheels with slicks (600)

you can hang out with your buddies and talk all day how much power your car makes or you can take my advice and be the one at the track showing your buddies how its done.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM   #20
I like boobs!!!

2012 GT Premium
dunno

Originally Posted by stal94gt View Post
if you want to be a dyno queen dump all 6k into the motor. if you want to be a beast and run some serous track times do this.

1. 31 sline diff, axles and gears with a rebuild kit (750 for parts)
2. (5 speed) built t45 or built 3650 (1800) tko600 (2600 better) clutch (450)
3. full drag suspention in the back (1000)
4. 125 shot nitrous used (600)
5. 15x10 wheels with slicks (600)

you can hang out with your buddies and talk all day how much power your car makes or you can take my advice and be the one at the track showing your buddies how its done.
Truer words have never been spoken. Take a look at Bulloch27. He's got a FAST car and it's pretty much all stock. Just a few bolt ons and lots of suspension work with a little juice.

OP, so in the few minutes that have passed since you opened this thread you have learned that putting 4V heads on is no good so you researched a little and found a nice rotating assembly. Just imagine what you could find if you spent a week looking for parts instead of being kindof impulsive. Look at companies like ModMax or MMR for rotating assemblies. They have great parts at even cheaper prices than what you found. I've been researching my engine build for probably two months now and just when I think I've found the best deal I will find the same part somewhere else a bit cheaper. Take your time grasshoppah!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 4v heads on 2v motor??
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4v heads on 2v motor iceman22 99 - 04 8 October 16th, 2010 12:32 AM
TFS heads on basically stock motor notch9350 5.0 Mustangs 30 June 16th, 2008 08:58 PM
DO I NEED NEW HEADS OR A NEW MOTOR!!!!!??????? PLS HELP! THSCO08 V6 Mustangs 11 April 4th, 2007 12:58 AM