Catalytic Converter (Inspection)
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old October 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

schoff will become famous soon enough

Catalytic Converter (Inspection)

I know lots of people on here dont have catalytic converters, how do you pass inspection?

Two years ago i did mine at a shop and he passed me, today went back to the same guy same place and he didnt.

Long story short, it was weird cause a guy showed up as soon as i did, was in the garage when the mechanic inspected my car, then left as soon as i did. I didnt wanna question the guy about not passing me this time cause he did last time.

In case i cant find someone, did you guys just have an extra hpipe/xpipe with cats on it to bolt on when you need them?

Old October 15th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

03 GT, 06TBSS,02RC-51,
12.X@1XX

T-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to T-Lee. 30

I think you just have to hunt around and ask around in your area. It sounds familiar though bc with my mark8 I had 2 years ago I had one of the shops here remove my 3rd cat and I payed cash no problem. But this year I called up that same guy and asked him about taking off the third cat on my tbird and he said "thats illegal we dont do that here". Same shop and same guy just two years later and a different answer.
Iraq and Afghanistan War Vet 4 deployments from 01-08. My Wife is also a Army/war vet!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

huh interesting....maybe the states have just been cracking down on that more. The guy that was in the garage that showed up didnt look like someone i would picture trying to bust a mechanic for illegal inspections, but who knows... it was just weird how he showed up and left.

But ya it was the same guy and everything. i gotta find somewhere else.

I just looked at my exhaust and its all bolt on except for where the hpipe connects to to the mufflers they welded that on... so it sucks cause that means i can't take it off myself...more money!
Old October 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #4

Jumbafri is on a distinguished road

emissions standards and stings for emmissions violations are getting crazier, this is most likely the reason here that i could think of
Old October 16th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

ya i really think it felt like one of those kind of situations....just the shitty car and redneck style he had didn't really strike me as that kind of person though.
Old October 16th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

Nitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to behold

Thats why I keep my stock h pipe. Takes 30 minutes to swap them and no problems
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #7
Carving corners

2002 Mustang GT

MineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to allMineralGreyGT is a name known to all

OP I live in MA which has extremely strict emissions. I ran into the same situation s you did I passed and then failed the following year. I put on some Hi-Flow Cats and I've been passing 3 years in a row. You only lose about 3hp and I actually like the cleaner not so raspy sound it created. I got Pypes Hi-Flows and they seem to be holding up well. GL

Old October 16th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Regular

Roush

LilRoush is on a distinguished road

They are cracking down all over. Technically it's illegal to remove them on any street driven car in all 50 states. I've seen non-inspection states nailing people for it when pulled over for other things. For those who swap back and forth - I've also seen the court go back and look at the inspection station that issued the current inspection and require them to show proof cats where on the car when it was inspected. The shops can get some serious heat for cutting corners.
1970 Mach 1 Show Car

2000 Roush V6 #5004 (Track/Street car): World's 1st M112'd V6 Mustang. Highest Hp/Tq M112'd V6.
Old October 16th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

ya the guy at the shop said it was a 10k dollar fine for whoever removed the cats if they got caught (dont know if thats actually true). Plus this again was the same guy that had passed me before.

I would think that it would be the inspection station and not the person who removed the cats that would get in trouble, cause a mechanic removing them doesnt know if the car is just an off road/drag car or anything.

I found a stock hpipe for like 60 bucks around here, but like i said i looked at my exhaust and they have everything bolt on except for to the mufflers it's welded, so i'd be screwed cause i would have to take the whole exhaust off.

FML lol
Old October 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #10
I <3 Boost

04 Cobra
12.4@112mph 1.9-60ft 5000ft-DA

JoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to JoshC

Originally Posted by LilRoush View Post
They are cracking down all over. Technically it's illegal to remove them on any street driven car in all 50 states. I've seen non-inspection states nailing people for it when pulled over for other things. For those who swap back and forth - I've also seen the court go back and look at the inspection station that issued the current inspection and require them to show proof cats where on the car when it was inspected. The shops can get some serious heat for cutting corners.
+1 to this

here in odessa inspection shops are getting regular visits from state patrol. last year my car passed no problem with tinted lights and this year i was told theres no way. the normal guy i take my car to even got shut down.

My 04 Cobra Build <-- pics/info about my car

MM Cobra Club #2.76
Old October 16th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #11

03 GT, 06TBSS,02RC-51,
12.X@1XX

T-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud ofT-Lee. 30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
+1 to this

here in odessa inspection shops are getting regular visits from state patrol. last year my car passed no problem with tinted lights and this year i was told theres no way. the normal guy i take my car to even got shut down.
there shop here that some ppl go to to get their cats removed I called up there the other day to get something else done on the rear of my car and it went to like a fax type screech. so I drove by there and the shop was closed.
Iraq and Afghanistan War Vet 4 deployments from 01-08. My Wife is also a Army/war vet!
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #12
Banned

2003 Son1c Blue 4.6L

SON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud ofSON1C has much to be proud of

id try another shop before spending money on a new midpipe/cats etc, did you just fail visual? or are you throwing a code, because MILs solve.
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #13
I <3 Boost

04 Cobra

JoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud of

you easiest thing to do would be to either throw some cats on there or some gutted cats(if you only have a visual inspection)

MM Cobra Club #2.76
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #14

03 GT, 06TBSS,02RC-51,
12.X@1XX

High Flow Cat

$34
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #15
I <3 Boost

04 Cobra

Originally Posted by Rockwell29 View Post
High Flow Cat

$34
haha nice.

MM Cobra Club #2.76
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #16
Regular

2003 Mustang GT
14.2 @98mph

True_Blue_Stang is on a distinguished road

High Flow Cat

$34
That looks to good to be true lol, I mean would you buy from that site? By that I mean do you thin that they are as reputable as American Muscle? If so I really want those for my Mac prochamber when I get it.
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #17

03 GT, 06TBSS,02RC-51,
12.X@1XX

Originally Posted by True_Blue_Stang View Post
That looks to good to be true lol, I mean would you buy from that site? By that I mean do you thin that they are as reputable as American Muscle? If so I really want those for my Mac prochamber when I get it.
If I wanted gutted cats to pass visual inspection i would buy from them but I have hi flo cats that were welded onto my o/r x. so I did consider getting these wahile back but the hi flow cats cleaned up the sound,smell, and kinda got rid of the worry of someone who would know better even if they seen those ghost cats in place bc the exhaust would still smell the same without cats and has a distinctive sound. But for a guy thats inspecting that wouldnt know any better once he see's those thats a done deal you should pass the visual.
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Regular

2003 Mustang GT
14.2 @98mph

True_Blue_Stang is on a distinguished road

If I wanted gutted cats to pass visual inspection i would buy from them but I have hi flo cats that were welded onto my o/r x. so I did consider getting these wahile back but the hi flow cats cleaned up the sound,smell, and kinda got rid of the worry of someone who would know better even if they seen those ghost cats in place bc the exhaust would still smell the same without cats and has a distinctive sound. But for a guy thats inspecting that wouldnt know any better once he see's those thats a done deal you should pass the visual.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread...

To be honest I am more worried about getting pulled over by a police officer, than the emissions testing. In my mind for some reason Im afraid that I will get pulled over because I have a "loud" car that attracts unwanted attention. Thats why I took my UPR X pipe out of my car because I was worried about that, although I did drive it with it in there for about 4 months and never got pulled over for noise. Also I couldn't stand that horrid raspy shit. Now I want a Mac prochamber because on the other thread y'all basically got me sold on the sound. I figured when I got the mid pipe I would get those stealth cats you listed for in case if I get pulled over so if he asks if there are cats all I say is
Old October 16th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #19

03 GT, 06TBSS,02RC-51,
12.X@1XX

Originally Posted by True_Blue_Stang View Post
Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread...

To be honest I am more worried about getting pulled over by a police officer, than the emissions testing. In my mind for some reason Im afraid that I will get pulled over because I have a "loud" car that attracts unwanted attention. Thats why I took my UPR X pipe out of my car because I was worried about that, although I did drive it with it in there for about 4 months and never got pulled over for noise. Also I couldn't stand that horrid raspy shit. Now I want a Mac prochamber because on the other thread y'all basically got me sold on the sound. I figured when I got the mid pipe I would get those stealth cats you listed for in case if I get pulled over so if he asks if there are cats all I say is
I was worried about both bc a few guys around here said they got pulled over for the loud exhaust. So after like 6 months with the o/r setup i just picked up a pair of pypes hi flow cats and had them welded in.
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #20
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

well ya they left the car running during the inspections so even though its visual and all he did was looking under, the one guy who posted is correct, its going to smell the same no matter what unless i get real cats. You can't fake that one unfortunately haha

But ya im just trying to ask around and find somewhere that will pass it...cops around my area all are cool. I've been pulled over multiple times just for being suspicious and been talked to at gas stations and stuff about my car and never heard anything bad from cops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/236506-catalytic-converter-inspection.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread What is a good catalytic converter to help an FC pass inspection? | RX-7 Owners Club | BoardReader This thread Refback April 4th, 2012 12:15 PM

Threads Similar to: Catalytic Converter (Inspection)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catalytic converter going bad FloresGT1652 2005 - 2010 6 August 2nd, 2011 08:16 PM
Catalytic converter d fo V6 Mustangs 7 May 12th, 2009 04:04 PM
no catalytic converter My First Ride 5.0 Mustangs 15 August 29th, 2008 03:26 AM
catalytic converter skuzzy 96 - 98 6 August 3rd, 2008 07:22 PM
Catalytic converter 02NEBstang 99 - 04 2 February 25th, 2007 11:04 PM