Modded Mustang Forums banner

Mods That You Regret

79K views 376 replies 168 participants last post by  thelonebean 
#1 ·
Reading some other threads, I started thinking about this. No one likes spending the money twice and people forget that mods are application specific. My car is a dally driver. I used to put 20,000 miles per year on it. Now its around 10,000. I spend a lot of time in the car. I like drag racing and so my car will occasionally go to the track. But not a lot. I'm not interested in the twisties and while I don't really push the corners hard. People also have different tolerance levels to things. What one hates another loves.

This thread isn't meant to become an argument over what's good and what's not. That's relative to the individual. But what mod have you disliked to a point of replacing it?

Mods that I regret:
.....1. The Original Flowmaster 40s. The drone killed my ears going down the interstate. I tolerated it for two years then had them cut out and Magnaflows welded in. I like my commute to work much better now.
.....2. UPR ProSeries UCA/LCAs with Spherical bushings. Great control arms but the NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) was more than I expected. It's OK at 55-60 but really irrates me at interstate speeds and the rear end of the car (trunk lid I think) creaks and groans going over bumps in town. I shouldn't have gotten the metal on metal bushings but should have gone with poly LCAs. I'm seriously looking at the CHE LCAs. I also should have left the stock rubber bushings in the differential instead of putting in metal spherical one. Its going to cost around $400 to undo what I have done.

Mod where I believe I wasted money:
.....1. Long-tube headers and catted x-pipe. About $1,000 for parts and a couple of hundred to have them installed. Saw absolutely no gain on the dyno (but they were different dynos). Others have see a 10 rwhp/rwtq gain throughout the power ranges. I believe that a simple off-road mid-pipe would have posted the same gains.

See less See more
#14 ·
I would infer from this statement that you think it was a waste of money instead of something that you intend to take off and replace.

#10 ·
All things aside, I love my gt and don't regret the purchase one bit. Sure I'd love a cobra or a new 5.0, but a clean, low mileage 99-04 is getting harder to come by.

#77 ·
Dude I hear ya on that... I could have gotten a couple differen't 99 or 01' cobra's and even a bullit that were all anywhere from the same price to a few grand less than my GT...

But my GT has only 50k miles on it and it's retardedly clean!! Plus I love the new edge bodystyle anyways so I was just really happy to find one with the perfect color combo in premium trim... and though I wasn't a vert person at first... it's kinda won me over since I've had it. It's nice in FL. :cool:

SOrry for takin the thread off topic a little... lol

#16 ·
I have a mile long mod list made up for my car and keep contemplating on whether or not I wanna follow through with everything. I see all the problems people have with high horsepower cars on here and all the money they spent and wonder if it's even worth the hassle. At this point I think i'm just gonna modify my car as something breaks and enjoy what I have. I would rather take $10k and buy a 600cc sport bike and get my speed hunger satisfied that way. To answer the original question.

Favorite mod: 125 shot nitrous kit
Worst mod: Getting a 20lb nitrous bottle. I didn't think this one through before buying and it has sucked trying to warm this thing up to optimal pressure.

#18 ·
I don't regret any of the parts I've bought for my car and I'm absolutely in love with how it looks... BUT... 2 weeks after I bought my car a termi went up for sale for like 5k more and it had mods...

#19 · (Edited)
I regret basically everything I did to my V6. I loved that car and I learned a ****-ton from all the work I did, but once I seized the engine and couldn't afford to drop a new one in, I saw all the money I was out at that point. When I get a GT, it's going to be basically just visual mods, exhaust, and audio. I also bought a rear window louver for my V6. It sat in my garage for 6 months before I was completely sure I wasn't going to put it on. Cost me half of what I paid for it to ship it to the guy I sold it to.

#24 ·
so far I regret my SLP line lock kit. It has a mind of it's own and has stranded my twice by locking up the front brakes even when not activated!!! One time cost me a tow. SLP is still dicking around with trying to figure out why it's done that (they have my solenoid and are dicking around before they tell me what they'll do about it). Another regret is the Spec 3 clutch. Holds great but the pedal pressure is way stiffer than a modern clutch oughta be. Still thinking about replacing it, but the damn thing is bullitt proof and just won't crap out!

#48 ·
so far I regret my SLP line lock kit. It has a mind of it's own and has stranded my twice by locking up the front brakes even when not activated!!! One time cost me a tow. SLP is still dicking around with trying to figure out why it's done that (they have my solenoid and are dicking around before they tell me what they'll do about it
Mine did the same thing. It does it because of the heat...
I moved mine up and has never done it again.

#26 ·
my pypes o/r x is the worst thing i ever bought. it leaked like a bitch. i was always fighting exhaust leaks. didnt even line up right with the catback. the fitment was horrible. but if it didnt leak i did love the sound of it compared to my upr o/r x. it sounds different for some reason

#54 ·
this...FTW, or...FTL ??

i enjoyed my car ALOT more when it was closer to stock. never had any worries going anywhere with it, didnt have to worry when it rained. looking back on it, i should have just bought a little blower, had it tuned for like 380hp and drove it like that. wasted alot of time and money on dumb little bolt-ons that did squat for power.

starting over, it would still be a black 2v GT with a procharger, lowered on silver saleens. within the next 2 years, i will have it painted back to black again with those silver saleens. but...i will be keeping the 4v and the nitorus :cool:

although, i have thought about parting the car out and getting myself another lower mile GT to start over with again knowing what i know now. it would almost be like going back in time...almost...

#28 ·
I've learned from past mistakes on mustangs and other cars. I will not put in headers into my new mustang. I cannot see spending 1000.00 and getting little to no hp increase. I'd rather get big brakes. I regret getting my bullitt wheels since they do not work with big brakes. My tuner wants to buy my wheels and tires, so at least i'll be able to get some of my money back. I'm saving for 19 x 9.5 RTRs and BFG KDWs along with the GT 500 brake upgrade. Then, except for aluminum driveshaft and interior mods, i'm done.

#29 ·
1.) Buying this stupid car, especially in it's state of half assed assembly from the PO. Although unlike Stal I'd prefer a diesel Ram.
2.) Agree with Sharkbait, should have just let it be, maybe some headers, not a whole new drivetrain/fuel system.
3.) Should have just bought the Cobra engine/transmission as an assembly. Then I wouldn't have had this wonderful balancer experience. Probably wouldn't have gotten as many nice extra touches, but a hell of a lot easier.

On that note...off to the garage to put the balancer on and swap motors.

#32 ·
I love the 'vert, and do take the top down from time to time, but I'm with you on that. It's just not structurally sound.

My biggest regrets: UDP's, not getting a foxbody.

#33 ·
Worst mod would have to be buying udp that are still brand new in the box, and the Cai.
And probly buying the diablo tuner instead of the sct.

#35 ·
I don't regret anything as of yet. I do agree on the Diesel except I want a new GMC Denali 2500 Diesel Quad cab.

#36 ·
Hmmm...nothing I really regret that much. I love my car! I bought all the basic bolt ons, and am now having a high compression N/A motor built. Worked out pretty good!

Only mod I really dont like to much is my blacked out headlight covers...I can hardly see at night. Wish I had gone with smoked headlights or some night shade.

#40 ·
Only mod I really dont like to much is my blacked out headlight covers...I can hardly see at night. Wish I had gone with smoked headlights or some night shade.
A friend's son did that to his pickup. My friend borrowed it one night and everytime he turned on the high beams the lights went out. We stopped to check it out and discovered that the only effective lights were the fog lights which, of course, turn off when the high beams came on.

Don't consider the thread depressing. Consider it instructional. It might keep someone from wasting a lot of money.

#38 ·
Steeda UDP"s are awesome! Put them on. They are not like the crappy one's that bolt to the stock balancer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.