What are symptoms of a differential going bad?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

HamToast is on a distinguished road

What are symptoms of a differential going bad?

I've been posting a bunch lately on troubleshooting noises my car makes because, well, it makes a lot of them. I've been having issues with this sorta scraping noise for a while and thought it might be the clutch or TOB or something like that, but this week I noticed a clunking/grinding sound from the center area of my car.

I couldn't really tell where exactly the clunks and grinds were coming from except that it was near the center of the car. It only made the noise for a few moments, and has continued to do so occasionally at low speeds (making it difficult to pinpoint since it is not constant). I spent a while looking on youtube for a good clip of the sound my car periodically makes and it sounds identical to a bad differential, only its not a constant sound when in gear. Could my rear diff be going bad? Or would that be a constant noise? Could it be an axle bearing? Bad U joint? I'm really at a loss here but I'm getting sick of hunting down these noises.

For reference, this is the main video I'm basing my sound analysis on:
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

I haven't been able to hear the noise any time I'm listening for it lately. All I know is I'm beginning to really hate all these mystery noises.

Wish my apartment complex would let me drain fluids so I could open up the differential and have a look.
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #3
NOR*CAL's FINEST

2006 Mustang GT
I was established in the back of a Boss 429 circa 1988

3valveStallion will become famous soon enough3valveStallion will become famous soon enough

my best guesses: axle bearings, clutch packs in the diff, pinion gear and any number of rear end differential problems. unfortunately this noise is not uncommon for your generation of mustang, but I dont really no what it is for sure
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Procrastinator

2003 gt
5.4 32v on the way

DickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of light

if its kind of a popping noise and you have stock suspension it could be your bushings. if you suspect its your differential do a short burn out on clean pavement and look at your marks, if one is lighter than the other your clutch parks are worn.
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

I haven't heard the noise again since I've been trying to listen for it. I'm going to open up the differential and have a look inside, change the fluid and add some friction modifier. Beyond that all I think I can do is give it time and listen.
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #6
.//Animosity

2000 Mustang GT

Wildhardt is on a distinguished road

I have a really good suspicion mine is gone in mine to. I was coming home on the highway, and all of a sudden I heard a loud humming noise so I pulled over. I put it in park, and checked it out no fluids leaking or anything. Just a loud howling noise.

Soon as I got back on the highway I started going, and from 30-70 it hounded, and sounded like a bloodey brake lathe going on. I've drove it a few times back, and forth between places just to get it to a shop, and back to the garage. It has fluid in it. So I'm not to sure what exactly is going on with it.

Far as I know I'm pretty sure I warped the ring, and pinion or did something under load. So I'm having it rebuilt here sometime in march after I see if gears/tuners/ etc go on sale for March.
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

That howling is a classic symptom. It'd be simple for me if mine were howling...

Have you added friction modifier to see if that helps? Lots of guys have good luck with that stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: What are symptoms of a differential going bad?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Symptoms of a mis? 0949er 99 - 04 4 February 19th, 2012 05:44 PM
Symptoms of a bad TPS? PacificMustang01 V6 Mustangs 13 February 19th, 2011 01:20 PM
symptoms of a HD cable.... BakerFX4 The Clubhouse 26 November 29th, 2010 10:30 AM
Head Gasket Symptoms? jonnyspeed 99 - 04 15 November 4th, 2010 07:07 PM
Symptoms Of Buying A New car... 97Cobra The Clubhouse 12 November 27th, 2007 09:57 PM