Piston rings bad?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT Conv.

Garhfer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Garhfer

Piston rings bad?

I rebuilt the engine with forged internals 0.20" overpistons and speed pro rings anyway I started the engine up and it ran good started right up but after letting it idle Like 10 minutes i noticed antifreeze coming out of the tail pipe did a compression test and all of the driver's side were so i took the heads off to replace the head gaskets and while taking the heads off i sprayed wd-40 into the cylinders to prevent rust well i noticed that only in one cylinder the wd-40 oil leaked passed the rings after like an hr and a half or so but all the rest would be the same, is it normal that the ring hasn't seated yet or should i take it apart since it's already apart? Also if i have to take it apart could i just redo the one piston with a hone or would all have to be done?

2004 GT Boosted by Vortech
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #2
Banned

4V twin turbo 2000 GT
I live my life a quarter mile at a time xD

CobraStang161 will become famous soon enoughCobraStang161 will become famous soon enough

how many miles since the rebuild? So only one piston is leaking WD40 past the rings?
Borla XR-1 Dumped before rear
Moser built 9" Rear
35 spline WaveTrac Diff with 3.75s
35 spline Moser axles
14PT roll cage and minitubbed :rockon
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT Conv.

0 miles idled 10 minutes and took apart for a bad head gasket install yeah only one cylinder wd-40 leaks passed

Old March 5th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Banned

4V twin turbo 2000 GT
I live my life a quarter mile at a time xD

CobraStang161 will become famous soon enoughCobraStang161 will become famous soon enough

i would just replace the HG, i wouldnt worry about the ring. Its main job is to scrape oil off the cylinder walls. Since WD-40 is a liquid it is bound to seep past a ring or two.
Borla XR-1 Dumped before rear
Moser built 9" Rear
35 spline WaveTrac Diff with 3.75s
35 spline Moser axles
14PT roll cage and minitubbed :rockon
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Harvester of Sorrow

404-car not found

WickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CobraStang161 View Post
i would just replace the HG, i wouldnt worry about the ring. Its main job is to scrape oil off the cylinder walls. Since WD-40 is a liquid it is bound to seep past a ring or two.
Rings aren't great at stopping solvent. Solvents like WD-40 are meant to be VERY thin and penetrate just about any crevice.

However due to your question, did you stagger the gaps on all the rings by any chance?
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT Conv.

Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
Rings aren't great at stopping solvent. Solvents like WD-40 are meant to be VERY thin and penetrate just about any crevice.

However due to your question, did you stagger the gaps on all the rings by any chance?
Yeah the rings are staggered, I hope you guys are right only thing i question is because of this video on youtube

And i was like if gas is test and it has less viscosity then wd-40 has to be worse but if what that youtube video is saying is a bunch of horse shit then i'm happy lol

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

BakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud of

as long as you staggered them and they are filed to your application, shouldnt be any issues bruh!

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
Procharger D1sc at 20+ psi
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Tune/numbers coming shortly!!
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #8
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

BakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud of

since the cylinder is angled, maybe you have the top ring gap on that piston at the bottom and fluid drained past, whereas the others gap may be at the top toward the intake so its sealed all the way where the fluid is sitting.

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
Procharger D1sc at 20+ psi
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Tune/numbers coming shortly!!
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT Conv.

Originally Posted by BakerFX4 View Post
since the cylinder is angled, maybe you have the top ring gap on that piston at the bottom and fluid drained past, whereas the others gap may be at the top toward the intake so its sealed all the way where the fluid is sitting.
Ok thanks, i'll just put it back together then

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Piston rings bad?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Piston rings GreenMustang00 5.0 Mustangs 2 October 16th, 2011 12:29 PM
Piston Rings GreenMustang00 5.0 Mustangs 3 August 23rd, 2011 02:15 PM
Best piston rings? mystang0673 99 - 04 4 May 21st, 2010 03:32 AM
Piston Rings F8L GT 5.0 Mustangs 6 May 22nd, 2009 11:02 PM
fried the piston rings? :( burnout5.0 94-95 2 March 10th, 2008 10:44 AM